• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A little advice/help needed

goblinslayer

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2006
Wales
www.goblinslayer.com
My wife has a Steyr Tactical elite, .223, 20" barrel 1/9" twist.

When we use 69gn Sierra Matchkings, and 25.5gns AA2520. At 100yards it's a one ragged hole group gun. Seriously, I won our club competition a couple of weeks ago with it, 10 5 shot groups, none over 1" big.

SMKs are however sometimes hard to get over here and expensive!

We shoot on a field-fire range, where targets are electronically resetting Fig.11 Fig.12 Fig.14 aluminium tagets dotted randomly over a mountainside in Wales :)
So we have some Privi-Partizan 62gn FMJs for use up there as we're only shooting big-ish targets.. http://www.prvipartizan.com/rifle_b.php
I weighed the bullets and batched them within .2gn.
However, no matter what I seem to do when we shoot these they are spraying all over the place, in the order of 3-4" groups at 100 yards.
Same brass prep, same day etc....
I used again AA2520 and tried loads going up .5 grain from 21 to 25.5(our SMK load)
I tried loading to the same length as the SMKs (as long as the mag will allow) and seating to the cannelure in the bullet, with and without a crimp from a Lee factory crimp die.
Still nothing like what the SMKs will group, even at only 100 yards I'd settle for 1.5-2" groups.
Can anyone suggest anything else I can try to get these things to shoot?

Re: A little advice/help needed

Probably gonna have to push them harder. Try a faster powder and work up slowly. Those bullets move very fast when factory loaded. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think we chronoed them at well over 3000fps factory loaded. Be careful.
YMMV-Rob

Re: A little advice/help needed

Rob is correct, that ammo seems to cook along very fast from my 20" barreled AR, ~ 3050fps was my average on a warm, low pressure day at 750 ASL

The ammo is not particularly accurate, I never managed less than 2" with it and with 62 BTSP Sierra's I get about 1.2" from iron sights at 100yards