• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A little advice here. What would you do?

A little advice here. What would you do?

• Glass

Votes: 45 80.4%
  • Supressor

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boxcar

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2013
Canton, Ohio
Currently having my rifle rebarrelled.
Specs:
Typical rem700.
In AI chassis
Timney trigger
Atlas bipod
Nightforce 20 MOA pic rail
Being rebarrelled with Bartlein Heavy varmint in 6.5x47 lapua.

So here's my conundrum.
Glass is sub par. SS 16x mil/moa. So after smith fee's and all reloading components. I'm left with 2 choices. I've got enough cash leftover to upgrade the glass or buy a supressor.

Here's my thinking, with the possible new laws coming in June/July regarding NFA items. Get the paperwork started now. So basically buy the supressor, so I am ahead of the impending regs.
And deal with the glass for a couple more months.

So for you experienced shooters. What would you do? To add to this, it's going to be used as a tac match rifle only.

Going for the glass. The wait on the can will blow you away presently. Get something you can enjoy now, even if you start the paperwork now it's going into a pile with about 70 or 80 thousand ahead of you. They wouldn't get to it for about a year. Know guys that are waiting for over a year, and one waiting 14 months and still counting with a cleared tax check last september. Just my two cents anyway.

I completely understand where your coming from. And figure I would see a bigger benefit of glass over the supressor.

Would it make a difference if you could use the supressor at the range your purchasing it from, while waiting for the stamp to come back? Basically use it when your at the range, but when you leave it goes back in the dealers safe.

Assuming that is legal.

Last edited:
Do you really want to own a suppressor?

Do you need better glass in the short term?

If it's only a couple months of dealing with the glass then I would go suppressor first, shoot your 16x SWFA, and then in a couple months buy the glass. You can't make the NFA wait go faster, you can only start it sooner.

In all reality, that SS will work just fine. Ideal? No. But it will work just fine.

If you want a muffler, getcha one. You can save your pennies for a new scope while you wait for the muffler to clear.

What scope are you considering?

I've been thinking of getting a NF atacr or a Vortex HD. I'm guessing the variant there will be 25x vs 20x and SFP vs FFP. Shooting at known distances will be a majority of my shooting.

I can see both sides of the equation but to be honest as sub par as the ss may be. It's the clearest glass I have owned. Owning mostly $200-300 scopes on my rimfires.

Shoot the season with your SS. By the time winter gets here, you'll have a better idea of what you want. FFP or SFP.

I've found you don't need as much magnification if the glass is good. I run my PH 5-25's around 17X all the time. In my case, FFP is a must for calling corrections.

I voted glass. I have a friend who has been pushing suppressors to me. In the current climate, I have decided against suppressors, one, because of the wait time, two, because the feds then have a solid record on you. Currently, PA uses the PA Instant Check system, and not the Fed NICS, so there is no solid link between what I get as a PA resident, and what the Feds have records on. How long this lasts, no one can say, but that is my rationale for my opinion.
Second, the glass is something you can have results on "now."

I also voted glass. Even if you have the paper work submitted what is to say that a new law would stop the processing or your suppressor dead in its track.

Suppressor=Nice to have
Glass=Better Shooting

unless you believe that suppressors will be outlawed soon, then go get one.

I also voted glass. Even if you have the paper work submitted what is to say that a new law would stop the processing or your suppressor dead in its track.

Because any applications for a tax stamp will be reviewed based on the ATF rules at the time it was submitted. At least, that's the impression I am under based on the commentary regarding the proposed ATF rule changes to trusts.

Glass is over all more important, but the fact is there will be no laws coming into effect on glass federal or state probably ever. If the glass is doing a sufficient job for what you are using it for at this time I would go for the suppressor. If you are having problems with your current glass then it's obviously glass.

Can't shoot what U can't see...whether U can hear it or not...go with the scope.

Can't shoot what U can't see...whether U can hear it or not...go with the scope.

I have yet to hear of a large amount of complaints with the SWFA SS 16x in the glass department. With that said, the scope I run on my competition rifle only dials as high as 16x. My scope is a little lacking in the glass department, but I am quite capable of seeing my hits on and off target and making adjustments.

I had a little bit of money and thought of upgrading away from the Vortex PST series (Something I cannot wait to do). I decided to get on the list for a suppressor while continuing to use what I have. I am able to save money while waiting on the suppressor and practice with my rifle. There are always more and more new products being released in the sporting optics world. There will always be a great deal to be had. I recommend getting on the list for a suppressor if that is something you really want. All while waiting for the right deal on optics to come along.

What i would do is get the paperwork rolling with the suppressor and during that time save up what you need for the glass, then get some glass. I don't really think an outright ban on suppressors/nfa items will be on the horizon. and also, the new proposal seems to just affect trusts; which not everyone uses. But you'll be going that route if your CLEO won't sign off. So there probably won't be a ban, but just a little more work.

Finally, if you wait a little bit I'd bet there will be quite a few used scopes for sale in the upcoming months when companies start shipping the scopes they unveiled at shot show this year. I.E. Vortex Gen II's, etc.

Right now, wait times on NFA items using a trust and efile form 4 is 90-100 days from submission to obtaining your tax stamp. Now, if you are going the traditional route and paper filing as an individual you are looking at ~12 months or so.

Definitely good glass and then a suppressor, when you can afford one. More practical, so you can start get out practicing now!