• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do I do now?

You have it now I suppose.

Come shoot on long island, I'll help you break it in. :)

You have it now I suppose.

Come shoot on long island, I'll help you break it in. :)

Not yet unfortunately. The cold is going to settle in soon, so hoping to get it quickly. Waiting on test series of ammo from custom ammo maker as well, so even if I got the rifle right now, I wouldn't have anything good to sling through it.

You need to hit a match with it, at the very least.

Ironically, that's kind of the saving grace in all of this. The original rifle was received in September of 2019 with plans to find a good load and build up dope in preps for a few matches in 2020. Had this not been the year of 'stay-the-fark-home', I would have been more upset. But I didn't really miss much. Problem now is that I was hoping to get started on that load development (working with custom ammo maker) and dope work-up before the weather got cold ... but that ship has kind of sailed.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
I wonder if that Bartlein has any grooves left from all that test firing.

If that was a dig at Mark and/or SAC, its misplaced. I'm simultaneously excited that I'm getting a TacOps, and disappointed that I'm not getting a SAC. While it didn't work out, Mark made things right and not only can I unequivocally recommend SAC to anyone looking for a great rifle, but I still hope one day to have him build a rifle for me (here's to hoping that he doesn't face-palm when he reads that).

Reactions: Secant
If that was a dig at Mark and/or SAC, its misplaced. I'm simultaneously excited that I'm getting a TacOps, and disappointed that I'm not getting a SAC. While it didn't work out, Mark made things right and not only can I unequivocally recommend SAC to anyone looking for a great rifle, but I still hope one day to have him build a rifle for me (here's to hoping that he doesn't face-palm when he reads that).
No, just thought of how many rounds were put through that barrel to test it.

What happened to the SAC rifle?

Mark couldn't get it to shoot the way he wanted and simultaneously didn't want to waste any more of my time. So he called me and made things right. I'm disappointed for sure, but just in that I'm not getting the rifle now. One would expect a bad taste in the mouth from an experience like this but Mark stood up when it counted at what must be a massive loss to him considering all the parts and the time that went into dealing with my rifles and when this crazy pandemic situation ends, if I find myself with another rifle-savings fund ... I'll have to give him a call and see if he has the appetite to give it another go.

Reactions: JMGlasgow
Mark couldn't get it to shoot the way he wanted and simultaneously didn't want to waste any more of my time. So he called me and made things right. I'm disappointed for sure, but just in that I'm not getting the rifle now. One would expect a bad taste in the mouth from an experience like this but Mark stood up when it counted at what must be a massive loss to him considering all the parts and the time that went into dealing with my rifles and when this crazy pandemic situation ends, if I find myself with another rifle-savings fund ... I'll have to give him a call and see if he has the appetite to give it another go.
But wait, wasn’t it a new action AND a new barrel (can’t remember what TacOos was providing)

how could it not work, what else could be the cause of the fault? or do I have the facts confused.

But wait, wasn’t it a new action AND a new barrel (can’t remember what TacOos was providing)

how could it not work, what else could be the cause of the fault? or do I have the facts confused.
It’s pretty clear that outsiders aren’t going to understand this. I wonder a little if the OP had unrealistic expectations and Mark took the first excuse to drop him as a customer. Who knows. I don’t know any of these people.

Reactions: goneballistic
It’s pretty clear that outsiders aren’t going to understand this. I wonder a little if the OP had unrealistic expectations and Mark took the first excuse to drop him as a customer. Who knows. I don’t know any of these people.
Get the F’ out of here. Mark built me a 308 years ago and it’s a hammer. Mark and his team have great customer service

Yes, new Surgeon action, Bartlein barrel, and McMillan stock. Mark wasn't sure what the problem was, and did mention that he was going to dig into it when he had time, but didn't want to waste any more of mine. We ended on what I felt were good terms. I was afraid of exactly what the other person just said, that I was a PITA and he was dropping me as a customer, and I mentioned to him on the phone that I hope I wasn't "that guy". He told me there were no hard feelings, and said that the door is always open for me as a customer in the future which as I mentioned earlier, is something I do hope to exercise when funds allow.

The problem was identified, the action. But only after checking every thing else.

Get the F’ out of here. Mark built me a 308 years ago and it’s a hammer. Mark and his team have great customer service
Agree wholeheartedly with this. The pictures I've seen of what Mark produces is why it took me almost a year to return the rifle to him in the first place. I was sure it couldn't be the rifle (I mostly thought it was me). The sigh of relief I had when I got the email from Mark that it shot the same groups for him that it did for me was huge, I was happy that it was equipment and likely something fixable.

And on the customer service bit, I got the feeling that my rifles have been one of the larger thorns in the side of SAC since they incorporated. And if I think it through, SAC/Mark losses on this whole thing are somewhere in the high 4-digits if not low 5-digits; no small amount of scratch for low-volume shop in a competitive market, and he always treated me extremely well. Even when my emotions got the better of me and I sent off a nasty email or two. So 'second-to-none' is a fitting description for SAC Customer Service.

Reactions: Baron23
The problem was identified, the action. But only after checking every thing else.

We eventually even changed the action, and built up a second rile from scratch. But something plagued that one as well, I'm not sure what though.

If you want to see it, there's a pic of it near the bottom of the last page

Reactions: Baron23
I wasn’t implying anything against Mark. From what I’ve seen his shop does world class work. It’s just this whole story is a little weird and I don’t understand how there can be problems with a rifle after every component has been replaced and it’s not the same rifle. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with the OP either. That’s just one hypothesis. In the end, I don’t have enough information to understand the situation.

Reactions: koobs84
The first one had a bad action, impact. Then the 2nd 1 with a surgeon and all new parts didn't shoot either? Who shot that one to check accuracy?

Hmm... golfing is my sport @ 200 yards! Hitting those little balls with lead sure beats swinging at them with a club. :)

Reactions: 6brshooter
Well sheeeeyiiit, I wasn't expecting that ending.
This thread was a bit like "Days of our lives" without the cum in the eye though.
Fuck.............I'm speachless...........1st time ever.

They have cumshots in Days of Our Lives?
That's on my must view list now.
Things have changed.
Yeah, I think I got it mixed up. I meant say there's no cum in the eye in days of our lives.
I had to laugh. If you read pages 4 & 5 you'll see what I'm referring to.
Pretty unexpected outcome though. I'm not sure what to make of it.

I'm buying my next rifle from S.A.C. Just based on how hard he worked to make it work. I'm missing something though if the second rifle was also off

I'm buying my next rifle from S.A.C. Just based on how hard he worked to make it work. I'm missing something though if the second rifle was also off

I read this thread from the time the OP started it until the December time frame.

Just got finished re-reading the entire (whole/hole) thing.

The reamer question from a few pages back never got answered.
Same reamer?
Yes or no?

Is this accuracy issue from SAC happening with other 308s going out the door?

I still can't figure out why the barreled action wasn't accuracy tested before it was coated/painted.

Seems like a huge waste of effort to do that before knowing the outcome.

Reactions: Stoweit
I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Fact is, a lot of guys have very unrealistic expectations & that's a statistical fact. If you expect around 1/2 MOA most of the time with most ammo, you'll be perfectly happy I'd imagine. If you expect 1/4 MOA all of the time, you'll be sorely disappointed &, I don't need to imagine that. By all accounts S.A.C are one of the best in the business.
I must admit, I feel for some of the companies selling rifles these days.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Fact is, a lot of guys have very unrealistic expectations & that's a statistical fact. If you expect around 1/2 MOA most of the time with most ammo, you'll be perfectly happy I'd imagine. If you expect 1/4 MOA all of the time, you'll be sorely disappointed &, I don't need to imagine that. By all accounts S.A.C are one of the best in the business.
I must admit, I feel for some of the companies selling rifles these days.
considering all the ruger Americans out there shooting half moa all day long you’d think they could at least do better than that

considering all the ruger Americans out there shooting half moa all day long you’d think they could at least do better than that
For every one that shoots 1/2 MOA sometimes, there's 10 that don't. Bout the same as most other rifles I suspect.

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate