• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A Look @ Choate New Tactical Stock - Rem 700 Tact

MAX100

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2008
SC
<span style="font-weight: bold">Choate's New Tactical 700 BDL stock.
</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Specs: </span>

The stock is made of Rynite polymer and is injection-molded around a precision CNC machined full length aluminum bedding block makes a solid rigid stock. The action is rigidly held by the V-shape aluminum bedding block, the barrel floats freely and it features a 1.25" thick rubber recoil pad that has two LOP adjustment spacers. The two removable .25" & .5" spacers enable increasing the length of pull from 12.5" to 13.25". The forend has a 1.25" (3.2 cm) barrel channel for custom bull barrels. The bottom forend is a wide 2.4" and has a 10.5 rail that accepts a bipod adapter that's supplied. Recessed Uncle Mike's sling swivels are incorporated on both sides of the forend and both sides of the butt stock which provide for a number of practical carry modes. Retail price around $225. <span style="font-weight: bold">Also offered for the Savage 10 DBM rifles. Will not fit the AccuStock rifles unless you do some widening of the trigger guard inlet.
</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Weight:</span> 3.7 lbs

<span style="font-weight: bold">Pictures, a Few Thoughts & Facts:</span>

There are not any good pictures available on the net that shows what this stock really looks like in person. The pictures that are available make it look thin, cheap & unappealing. It's far from it in my opinion as you will see by the pictures.

Choate Tacical stock, Remington 700 SPS Tactical 20" bbl, 308, Sightron SIII 6-24X50 LR MD, Burris XTR Low rings, EGW 20moa base, Harris Notched Leg 6"-9" bipod, BlackHawk cheek pad, Arms Tech LLC Mag Xtender.

CHOATE700T-1.jpg

The Stock was a drop in fit and it took less than 5 mins to install. No fitting was required and the aluminum bedding block didn't need any clean up that is needed on some B&C and HS Precision stocks. Fiberglass molding can be very messy. Weather this will be the case with all of them, only time will tell. One problem I did run into is, the stock is thicker in the rear and will required a longer screw. Luckily I had a B-Square 700 BDL/ADL replacement screw set. It had a longer rear screw that was a perfect fit. This is an issue that Choate needs to address by offering a longer screw with the stock because the rear factory screw is clearly too short for this stock. Overall the stock was a nice fit and the back of the recoil lug fit snug against the Aluminum block, which is what you want.

CHOATE700T-2.jpg

A top view of the stock shows the with wide 1.25" barrel channel and very thick sides. This stock is well made, heavy & built like a tank as you will see. I gave the butt of the stock a few good whacks with a hammer with no damage what so ever. Try that with a fiberglass stock.

CHOATE700T-7.jpg

A view of the bottom of the forend with the 10.5" rail & bipod sling adapter supplied. The adapter slides freely in the channel and is locked down when you attach a bipod and torque it down tight in the position you prefer.

CHOATE700T-6.jpg

A look inside the at the V-Shape aluminum bedding block. It naturally centers the action and makes sure the action has full contact with the block. It's also great for those who would like to bed the action. The V-Shape block would be excellent for holding a good amount of bedding compound for a perfect fit.

CHOATE700T-5.jpg

SxS look @ the Choate Tactical beside a $400 HS Precision vertical grip stock. You can see that the grip of the stock is very large and some may find that it is a little too large for their liking. This is something to consider before purchasing.

CHOATE700T-4.jpg

Another view of the two stocks SxS. The middle of the grip is about the same width as the one on the HS stock. It's the bottom of the grip that is much large where you put your ring and little finger and this makes the grip feel larger. Notice the thickness of the Choate stock compared to the HS stock and the HS stock is no wimp in it's on right. The thickness of the tough Rynite polymer it's made of makes it virtually indestructible. The Choate Tactical stock is well made & built like a tank. Choate Stock Weight: 3.7 lbs - HS Stock: 2.5 lbs

CHOATE700T-3.jpg

The last view of the Choate stock on a 700 Tactical. The recoil pad is nicer than most pads that comes on much more expensive stocks.

CHOATE700T-8.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Final Thoughts:</span>

The New Choate Tactical stock is well made and offers a lot for the money. It is made of virtually indestructible Rynite polymer. Being a plastic stock and heavy will turn some people in the other direction from the get go. This stock is different from other plastic stocks as shown. The lower cost of the stock will offer a good alternative for those on a budget. I feel for the most part Choate did a very good job on this stock.

I would be willing to bet that Savage will be offering these stocks next year on some of their tactical precision rifles, maybe even Remington.

GC

Re: New Choate Tactical Stock & The Rem SPS 700 Tact

I have one on my Savage 10FP and like it alot, as stated very good fit and finish, for the money I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better stock. Just my opinion. Figured I'd snap a quick pic.

Savage10FP.jpg

BTW great review.

Excellent review Max. I've been eyeballing these for some time now, unfortunately I don't have a rifle that will fit any models they currently make. Looks like I may have to go out and get a Remington short action....

I have their Ultimate Varmint stock on my Rem. Sendero 300WM. Excellent accuracy out of that combo. I've never felt the need to bed that rifle at all, the V bedding system is very consistent when properly torqued. They definitely have a solid construction to their stocks. I have a feeling if a Choate and McMillan were swung against each other with any significant force, the Choate might get a scratch or two. If that.

Stock looks great, especially for the money and since it sounds like you don't need to bed it.

Great review! I also have the SPS tactical and have been looking at the B&C stocks, this looks like I may like these better.

Can I ask you a question? does the gun shoot better with this stock? I know everyone complains about the hogue stock(I free floated mine) but did the stock upgrade really = better accuracy? Thanks

Re: New Choate Tactical Stock & The Rem SPS 700 Ta

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I ask you a question? does the gun shoot better with this stock? I know everyone complains about the hogue stock(I free floated mine) but did the stock upgrade really = better accuracy?</div></div>

It shot well with the HS stock that was on it and the HS stock doesn't fit as well as the Choate. I haven't shot it yet with the Choate stock but I have no doubt that it will because the fit is excellent.

If you decide to purchase the Choate stock check the Net. I have seen them for sale for around $175 shipped. That's much cheaper than I can sale them for.

How could you pass that up. It's a steal @ $175.

GC

Can The CDI system be use dwith this stock?

I love this stock the palm swell is a little large but other than that i really like it too bad they dont make it for a savage 110

where can i find one of these. i dont see them on their site. is this for the detachable mag guns only. i have a savage 12 with the ultimate varmit stock. but i have the internal mag.

thanks

josh

ya i found it on combatstocks.com and it wont fit my rifle i dont think, i dont know why they wouldnt make it for the older short actions first.. oh well maybe they will soon

thanks anyways

josh

yes the only savage rifle this stock is made for is the new detachable mag system.. Called Choate and spoke to a lady (very nice) She asked Fred if he was planning on making any of these stocks for the older model savages.. he replied "yes I do plan to make these but I doubt it will be anytime this year" again very nice people but I doubt if I can wait another year for a stock to come out that I can use.. I have a 110 as stated earlier and it is hard to find good tactical stocks for this particular rifle guess its time I call McMillan and see what they say

Chris

Here is a comment made on another forum in response to my review. I though I would post it here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just installed one on my Remington 700 Varmint. I like it, but I had to sand the last inch or so of the barrel channel a bit to get it to fully free float. I wonder if it has to do with the rear bolt being a bit too short, mine worked but I'll look into getting a longer bolt. I find that the thicker grip helps me keep a 90 degree trigger pull easier than the sporter stock, once I played around with hand position. The LOP was perfect for my monkey arms (37" inch sleeves) with both spacers.</div></div>

The stock on mine rifle had a about 1/8" gap between the bottom of the barrel and the forend. I don't think a longer bolt will give more room between the barrel and forend. Some using a larger diameter barrel may need to do some bedding to get a free float. The tang area of the stock maybe a little too thick causing the action & barrel to tilt downward.

I also have the Savage Choate Tactical stock and there is about a 1/4" gap between the bottom of the barrel & forend giving a better free float. The factory screws on it fit good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All in all, I'd say it's a 8 out of 10</div></div>

I would agree with that.

GC

Heh, that was me.... I have a stock SPS varmint,, maybe something was a little out of spec, oh well I fixed it....

-dave

Great write up!

Here is the picture of my SPS Tactical in one (before my new paint):

IMGP0672.jpg

When I saw these at the Shot Show this year, I knew they would be hot. It took three months of begging Fred to make them for the Remington, but I am glad he did. I got the first one he ever shipped out.

I currently have these listed on the site, and I do stock them regularly. I also currently reduced my price. If anyone has any questions about these feel free to contact me via my website (which I currently have closed for the next five minutes...updating), or email, PM, etc. I plan on adding a Youtube video on the site to show the stock, but MAX100 you took the cake. Good job on the write-up!

I did bed my stock just because, and I did have to channel the barrel channel a little to get the barrel to completely free float. This stock is great for the money. It is a little rough around the edges (tool marks, etc.), but it is definitely rigid and indestructible.

BTW - The CDI bottom metal will fit. The stock is inletted for standard BDL bottom metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MAX100 you took the cake. Good job on the write-up!
</div></div>

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a little rough around the edges (tool marks, etc.), but it is definitely rigid and indestructible.</div></div>

The only place I found a few rough marks on the two stocks I have is in the tang area. It looks like they are from the mold. It's not a big deal in my opinion. The rest of the stock looks great, no marks.

GC

Got one on my Savage 10 in 22-250. Had to machine the front action hole and remove some Al to get the DBM to fit. Overall, I'm happy...all I need now is a proper front action screw.

2cn712w.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NWASC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">yes the only savage rifle this stock is made for is the new detachable mag system..</span> Called Choate and spoke to a lady (very nice) She asked Fred if he was planning on making any of these stocks for the older model savages.. he replied "yes I do plan to make these but I doubt it will be anytime this year" again very nice people but I doubt if I can wait another year for a stock to come out that I can use.. I have a 110 as stated earlier and it is hard to find good tactical stocks for this particular rifle guess its time I call McMillan and see what they say

Chris </div></div>

The Savage 10FP that I have this stock on has the internal box mag. I've had the stock for a few months now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lone_soldier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where can i find one of these. i dont see them on their site. is this for the detachable mag guns only. i have a savage 12 with the ultimate varmit stock. but i have the internal mag.

thanks

josh </div></div>
Search the net, they make one to fit the internal box mag rifles as well.

Im gona have to drop the long action idea for a short action. Oh well its all good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nostyta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NWASC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">yes the only savage rifle this stock is made for is the new detachable mag system..</span> Called Choate and spoke to a lady (very nice) She asked Fred if he was planning on making any of these stocks for the older model savages.. he replied "yes I do plan to make these but I doubt it will be anytime this year" again very nice people but I doubt if I can wait another year for a stock to come out that I can use.. I have a 110 as stated earlier and it is hard to find good tactical stocks for this particular rifle guess its time I call McMillan and see what they say

Chris </div></div>

The Savage 10FP that I have this stock on has the internal box mag. I've had the stock for a few months now. </div></div> hmmm guess Fred told me wrong didnt realize they were making these for the internal box mags yet or i would have kept my 10FP

Bruno, looking good brother!

What DBM did you use? That looks like the VBull...

Fantastic review! Looks like a good value. I wonder how the competition will react.

As with other members, I was looking into getting a B&C but this may be a dealbreaker. Couple questions though:

1. Plastic stock, does it feel toyish or is it sturdy?
2. I'm concerned about the stock action screws being too short, is it possible that they are going to fix this or provide a longer screw later?
3. How much do you have to torque it down? The V shaped block looks like it might need to be pretty precise.
4. Lastly, who's shot it? Any better results? Comparable with other brands?

This is going on a Remington 700 SPS V in .308 and replacing the godawful plastic one there. My biggest worry is I dont want to replace one piece of plastic for another.

I will tell you that you might have to fiddle with it to get a full free float, etc.. I'm still not exactly happy with mine, I might try to bed it a bit.. If I mess it up,, I might just buy a different stock anyway.
But I'm done screwing with it for now, I need to get out and shoot!!!!

Can't compare with the factory stock in terms of shooting, because I bought the rifle, put it in the Choate, and went to the range for the first time last week with it.. My mediocre skills resulted in a couple of 1 moa groups at 100 yards,but most were around 2-2.5 moa because I suck... I can't blame the rifle

-dave

<span style="font-weight: bold">1. Plastic stock, does it feel toyish or is it sturdy?</span>

Toyish, Not in the least. Did you look at the picture above comparing the Choate stock to the HS Vertical grip stock. Read what I wrote.

<span style="font-weight: bold">2. I'm concerned about the stock action screws being too short, is it possible that they are going to fix this or provide a longer screw later?</span>

It's only one screw, the rear screw. The rear screw out of this B-Square 700 BDL/ADL screw set will fit good.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=1784&st=122-505-070&s=6702

<span style="font-weight: bold">3. How much do you have to torque it down? The V shaped block looks like it might need to be pretty precise.</span>

The fit on my stock is very good. The proper torque for aluminum bedding block stocks is 65 in/lbs.

<span style="font-weight: bold">4. Lastly, who's shot it? Any better results? Comparable with other brands?</span>

I haven't shot mine yet with the Choate stock but the fit is very good so I expect it will be as accurate as it was with the HS stock I had on it or better. The Choate stock fits better than the HS stock.

Mine had about 1/8" of free float space between the bottom of the barrel and the stock.

GC

MAX100,

Great revue! I've been considering one of these for a while.

hypertex,

That rifle is sick! How does it shoot?

Awesome, thanks Max100. As to your first question reply, I should have clarified, when gripping how does it feel. But with your reply and a closer look at the review it looks like it will be just for me.

Thanks for answering my questions

Great Review!

I have one question though.
I have a 1998 Rem LTR with the detachable 4 round mag. I'm sure you guys are familiar with it, the mag is flush with the bottom metal. Will this stock accept that configuration?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMARINE1108</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How would I go about putting a Rock Sopmod bipod on this? </div></div>

Anyone?

Any hope for a LA version? In all other regards it's exactly what I'm looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ugly gun. I've got a brief write up about the stock in the rimfire forum. Donald</div></div>

I am not to crazy about the colors but if it works for you.

Questions? What paint did you use and how well is adhering to the Rynite polymer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any hope for a LA version? In all other regards it's exactly what I'm looking for.</div></div>

Probably not any time soon.

GC

I'd like better choise in color's to but Krylon Fusion rattle can only comes in four camo colors and the only one I did not use is black. Mayby I should change the title to My CHEAP 22 Ugly gun. Donald

Camo Krylon does bond to the Rynite polymer fine, just like any other stock I've painted. I have painted mine, but I have yet to get any new pictures. Hopefully, I will get a chance to post some pics soon.

I agree to a point. The Fusion seems to dry quickly. In fifteen minutes you can handle it. It does not set to full hardness thou for a week or so. Mine has a few nicks from use just after painting it. Now it's been a month and it seems to have set and does not scratch as easy. It's ready now for a few more coats of matt clear and that should help to protect it. Donald

so it's been a while, anyone seen any improvements with this stock while shooting?

I too would like to know if this setup will work with the 700 LTR. It has the side release mags and the factory stock has a cutout for the release buttons. I can post a pic if it will help.

is this thing available in left hand short action remington? and anyone know if it can be inletted for an EBR?

Okay I don't have a comparison test before and after as I swapped out stocks immediately weapon is 700 SPS tactical .308 shooting 168MK over 42.5 grains 4064 win brass loaded to COAL consistently shoots .6 moa and I think some of that is me as this is my first crack at hi power shooting in quite some time. Plus the trigger ain't all that great I left it bone stock during tests feels like it breaks around 4lbs. FWIW.

Nice stock though feels very solid. A tad overweight but who ain't. ;>)

I am trying to find a handstop for the rail having trouble determining what will fit......

I like the overweight part. I like heavy stocks. they help dampen recoil. How does this stock compare to the choat varmint stock? Has the choate varmint stocks had problems with accuracy?

Maybe this will help. I looked up LTRs at gunsamerica.com and some other places and they dont look like this. I must have an older one.

DSCN2645.jpg

I have sold many of these stocks and had plenty of trigger time so I will try to answer as many questions as I can. Here goes:

First and foremost, these stocks are currently out of stock for the Remington 700. Somehow Choate let this happen, but that is besides the point. They are saying about a month or so before they will have more. Anyway...

I know currently Choate does NOT make this stock with the cutouts for the LTR detach mag NOR do they make it left-handed. It currently is only made in the Short Action for the Rem 700 BDL and Savage Centerfeed Model only. If this stock follows the other Choate stocks, it will one day be offered in Long Action (both Rem and Savage, maybe even Model 70) and left-handed, but no date or confirmation on that yet.

The stock is a bit hefty, but as Dsparil said that aids the recoil.

Accuracy for this stock can be expected to be the same as any other properly bedded aluminum rifle stock (McMillan, Manners, B&C, etc.). If bedded properly it will shoot good. I have seen instances where the barreled action was not free-floating from the factory and a small amount of channeling was needed, (aluminum oxide bit worked great and made light work of the Rynite polymer)but that was only an isolated incident.

All in all a good bang for your buck stock. I'll try my best to answer any other questions that I can.

I may have to just order one and do a build. Use my barrel and action but add a Badger Ordnance trigger guard and mag system. But that is $400 plus $105 for each 10 round mag. Thats almost enough to buy myself the Savage 10FP I have been wanting to get.