• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A Look @ Choate New Tactical Stock - Rem 700 Tact

Re: New Choate Tactical Stock & The Rem SPS 700 Ta

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiTechTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I know currently Choate does NOT make this stock with the cutouts for the LTR detach mag </div></div>

This is true, I will post later next week on the entire process I went through, but with a little dremel work and access to a milling machine, and 30 minutes time, it can be done.

I will post pictures and the whole story after the weekend.
The stock is really nice and I think it shoots great.
Once I get some time in the next month, I will properly bed it and I am sure it will even shoot better, considering I just plopped my barreled action in there and it shot really good without the benefit of a proper bedding job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage_Jake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe this will help. I looked up LTRs at gunsamerica.com and some other places and they dont look like this. I must have an older one.

DSCN2645.jpg
</div></div>

Exactly what mine looked like, and mine is a 1998 model.
See the above post, it isn't rocket science and if you are in the least bit handy and can get access to a milling machine, you can have that set up in the picture feeding from that magazine better than factory.

Like I said, I will post entire story and pictures (once I figure out how to post them) and it will be a no brainer!

That would be great. I appreciate it. I really want to get one of the Choate Tac stocks soon. I work with a guy who does machine work at his home. I can take him the instructions and i'm sure he can do it. He has done other non-firearm related stuff for me before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage_Jake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That would be great. I appreciate it. I really want to get one of the Choate Tac stocks soon. I work with a guy who does machine work at his home. I can take him the instructions and i'm sure he can do it. He has done other non-firearm related stuff for me before. </div></div>

Ok, this is for you, Savage_Jake.
Sorry it took so long, but as I said in my PM was out of town and then out of commission with a nasty bug for longer than I expected.

Heres the story. I really liked the look of the stock and I really liked the price tag vs the other $700-$800 dollar options out there right now.
I called Choate and the woman who answered the phone was very nice and I have a feeling it was Mrs. Choate.
When I asked her about the detachable mag that I had, that it was the Remington LTR stock mag, and not an aftermarket, she went and talked to Mr. Choate, who said that a detachable mag would work.
Great, order the stock, wait and the big brown truck shows up with the new stock.
As soon as I pulled it out of the box, I knew I wasn't in a plug n play situation.
So, grabbed the dremel and started to work.
I will post pictures of what can be done with a bunch of taking the mag/trigger guard out and checking and dremeling and re fitting the assembly about 100 times!

DSC00041.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

So, after getting the mag/trigger guard assembly fitted correctly, which took a LOT of removing of material and hogging out areas in the stock, I then tried to get rounds to feed from the mag.
Big no go.
I experimented with a bunch of different ideas and methods and realized that I was just gonna have to machine the guard. You see, the rounds wouldn't strip off the mag, they were too low, and the bolt would just ride up over them, as you can see from the bottom picture with the mag removed, that yellow is brass along the bottom of my bolt!!
I still haven't cleaned it, but I was determined to get it to work.
Finally took some feeler gauges and figured the bolt topped the head of the cartridge by about .025".
How to get the mag holder trigger guard to sit .025" higher?
Start calling people with access to a milling machine!
Called a buddy of mine who works at a shop with heavy equipment.
Now, heres the kicker, gauge and measure your own, because I had two "identical" trigger guards for this rifle, and they had slightly different dimensions. The one in the picture I used for a test, so that we knew we had the machine and measurements figured right.
Well, that one was different than the final one, which ended up having .020" taken off the top.
Here are the photos of the test trigger guard, as you can see in the photos, the "silver" areas are where we machined off the top of the unit so that it would sit higher and reached the bolt head as it moved forward into battery.

DSC00044.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

The next set of pictures are of the setup with the mag in from a couple of different angles.

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

Now it works smooth as silk and have yet to have a problem with feeding.
I apologize for the pictures, they were taken in the garage late at night with terrible lighting.
As you can see, a little determination and a dremel and a friend with access to a milling machine and even this dumb ass can make the older model LTR receiver and detachable mag work in the new Choate Tactical stock.

Hope that helps, and anyone has any questions, pm me and I will send phone number if ya have any questions, would be more than happy to help.
Oh, and by the way, the stock shoots great with my set up, I am very happy with it.

I just received a Choate Tactical for my Stevens 200 build. Overall its nice and sturdy. I was looking for something with a little extra weight and I can't feel any fore-end flex or twist. It should be one hell of a rugged stock, especially if its really 80% polypro with 20% fiberglass.

There is some plastic flashing, and the cut-out notch for the bolt handle is pathetic. Looks like a monkey with a dremel did the work. I'm not thrilled about that, but for $160 I suppose I can dig out some sandpaper or a file. I had $600 in my build budget for a stock, but got impatient and ordered the Choate instead of waiting for a B&C Medalist (sold out everywhere), or waiting months for a Stockade, McMillan, etc.

I am also converting from a blind mag to a hi-cap detachable from SSS. I'm hoping that the conversion will go smoothly. If the blind mag stock would have been available when I ordered, I might have gone that route instead but having the detachable mag will be better in the long run I think.

I like the palm swell, but haven't shot with the stock yet. It reminds me of the recurve archery bows that I had. Fills the hand well.

The stud for the bi-pod is not fixed and I haven't checked to see how well my bipod will stay in place so that is something to consider before you buy one. I think Choate has a locking stud available.

Overall I'm happy with it for $160. I'm still waiting for action parts from SSS, and a barrel from Lothar. I'll post any problems with fit after I get everything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NWASC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love this stock the palm swell is a little large but other than that i really like it too bad they dont make it for a savage 110 </div></div>
midway list them for the long action and says they'll be in on 101309

MIDWAY Savage 110

I look forward to getting one of these for my 700 LA. I'm really glad to see they are offering one to fit. Seems like there would be a lot of people interested in a stock like this.

Take a look and the new custom tactical stock. Has any one got one yet what do you think about them?
choate custom tactical
It looks like they are going to have them for all the models of tactical stocks!

My Savage 10fp was purchased from Cabela's and came with the Choate stock. Never thought much of Choate's but this A5 copy is a pretty decent stock.

IMG_1470.jpg

This combo doesnt shoot to bad, dont know if spending another $600 for a Mc Millan would do any better on this factory rifle.

MeasuredSavageGroup.jpg

Just receieved a Choate Tactical to try on a Rem 700, cost $189 shipped to my door. Just shot it a few rounds today with it and it did well.

What kind of feel does the Choate have. Is it a hard or softer compound like the Hogue?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of feel does the Choate have. Is it a hard or softer compound like the Hogue? </div></div>

It's a hard surface,the butt and grip area are hollow. With the paint and grip texture I added it's hard to tell what it's made of if you didnt know. I have mine weighted with lead shot, without the bipod, the rifle/scope weighs in at 18lbs 13oz.

it's a sleeedgehaimer
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiTechTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bruno, looking good brother!

What DBM did you use? That looks like the VBull... </div></div>

Yes that is the vBull. Channel was a little narrow to accept the DBM. Maybe Choate can make a version that is all ready to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

hypertex,

That rifle is sick! How does it shoot? </div></div>

Bug holes. Best part is being able to use the 10rd mag.
Think I'm sick?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Savage 10fp was purchased from Cabela's and came with the Choate stock. Never thought much of Choate's but this A5 copy is a pretty decent stock.

IMG_1470.jpg

This combo doesnt shoot to bad, dont know if spending another $600 for a Mc Millan would do any better on this factory rifle.

MeasuredSavageGroup.jpg

Just receieved a Choate Tactical to try on a Rem 700, cost $189 shipped to my door. Just shot it a few rounds today with it and it did well.</div></div>

did you put the cheek rest on the stock or did it come that way?

The rifle came with the cheek piece and with the height of the rings,action and base combination it needs it. I talked with Choate MFG and they told me the stocks do not come with them. This one was purchased from Cabelas so I guess they included the comb riser in the package. I believe you can get them from Choate for $12 or so.

The one I got for the Rem did not come with nothing other than a few butt spacers for LOP. I have since sold it.

All in all a great stock for the money.