• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A Perfect Kid's Rifle Made Better!

gglass

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
Osceola, IN
I just finished the camo job on my daughter's Marlin XT-22Y. Although these Marlins are perfect little rifles for smaller bodies, they really have no style to them.

The camo pattern consists of four different shades of Krylon Fusion blue paint, plus camo black and a clear matte finish. The camo is further enhanced with a stylish black speckle of the entire stock, and the pre-formed grip areas maintain their original black color. The colors are a bit darker in person, and the finish is less glossy than the pictures appear with the camera's flash.

The scope is a Bushnell 3-9x40 that I had laying around, but it fits the rifle very well. The sling is from Blackhawk and used to ride on a shotgun.

My daughter saw the finished rifle late last night and she absolutely loved it. If you are wondering why I went with a blue camo pattern instead of more earthy tones, well you would have to ask my daughter... She wanted blue, and that was that.

I would also point out that this little Marlin is an accurate little stick in its own right. On our last trip to the outdoor range, my daughter was hitting every little thing she called. Everyone who was watching was stunned as she walked a golfball from the 25-yard line past the 50-yard line on 4 consecutive shots... Not too bad for a sub $200 plinking rifle.

Enjoy..

bluecamomarlinxtright.jpg

bluecamomarlinxtleft.jpg

My daughter with her Pre-camo Marlin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDgSkZJkH0k

Re: A Perfect Kid's Rifle Made Better!

As I am not one to leave well enough alone, I did a bedding job and free floated the barrel. Below are some pics of the end result, and I'm quite pleased with the result.

The only other thing I can do, this side of a new stock, is to find a way to add pillars to the stock. As I don't think I'll find any off-the-shelf pillars, it may take me some time to fashion a one for the rear... The for-end screw is already attached via a pseudo-lug. This lug/screw mount was originally attached via a loose dove-tail, and I actually turned it into a true recoil lug by centering and JB Welding it into place. It was then fitted to the stock via the bedding process at the rear of the lug. This half-moon portion of the bedding is a mirror image of the lug, and now absorbs recoil linearly into the stock. Or, so the theory goes.
smile.gif

Pics of the over-the-top kids rifle...

Free Floated Barrel:
xtfloatedbarrel.jpg

Bedding job:
xtbedding.jpg