• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

A personal journey begins with my first AR10, Mega Maten

Monmouth

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2012
Monmouth, NJ
I always wanted an AR10 style rifle. Almost this time last year, Dave Branson from BB Shooting hosted a group buy and jumped on the opportunity. This isn't my first AR as I built my own .223 and have been shooting that non-stop (I reload), but wanted something "heavier". Dave guided me through component selection and he's an aboslute pleasure. I will refer others and purchase from again. Thank you again Dave.

Attached are a few pics. I just mounted the scope and will spray paint it, of course. This rifle will not be a safe queen and my good friend was nice enough to already drop it on gravel, twice, in the same day. Did I need to paint the rifle? Nope, but didnt' want a black rifle and since it was all in parts, good time to hit it with a rattle can. I'm just a simple guy who really enjoys shooting and eager to learn the fine art of precision rifle.

Build:
Mega MKM Maten platform
ALG trigger
PRS stock
Atlas bipod (got it because it was available on the Sample list or it was going to be a Harris)
Aadmount
SWFA 3-15x42 scope (had a fixed 10x on the rifle, but treated myself, hence the reason it's not painted)
All JP internals (22" 1/10 barrel, brake, bolt, bolt carrier, buffer, trigger spring, etc....)
Tab Gear RAS sling (Cascadia mount for the stock, Noveske mount on the keymod)

Thank you again for those I privately PM'ed to ask for advice.

Attachments

• Maten1.jpg
    Maten1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Maten2.jpg
    Maten2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 21
  • maten3.jpg
    maten3.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
So what's the journey? I will roll the ammo, shoot at different rifle ranges, different shooting classes (I really enjoy formal instruction), collect the data, drive to "Eastern" matches, and enter the Snipershide Cup in 2015 (If I'm allowed). After seeing the pics and belonging to this forum, I just have to try and shoot in The Cup.

Tradition states that a new rifle has to post a range report. Attached is mine with a few notes :)

I'm performing an OCW test and the load needs tweaking. All squares are 1", shot at 100 yards, prone with a bag rest under the butt stock, shot via bipod on cement. The load in progress:

- 175g Sierra HPBT kings
- Varget powder (charges listed above squares)
- CCI 200 primer
- Virgin Winchester brass
- 2.800 OAL
- Loaded and prepped with Lee equipment, dies, and turret press (used as a single stage loader)
- I pulled the third 43.2 shot so that's why there's 4 for that group.

I have consulted with Dan Newberry on the load data and will be tweaking OAL for the next test round. I know I can shrink those groups and just have to practice more. I can't wait to drive down to Bang Steel to learn and collect data!

Attachments

• maten OCW1.jpg
    maten OCW1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Beautiful rifle...Love the Camo.

Btw...I live in plainsboro now. We should get together sometime and shoot. Have fun with that thing.

My wife just asked, "Did you post those pics?! Don't post pics, the floor is dirty!" Wish she would treat the firearms like the house, haha, have to figure that one out.

Beautiful rifle...Love the Camo.

Btw...I live in plainsboro now. We should get together sometime and shoot. Have fun with that thing.

Thank you! I shoot at CJRPC. If you like, you can join me as a guest (if you're not already a member) and ring some steel.

Very nice gasser.......I built a very similar rifle, a 6.5 Creedmoor (JPE Barrel) on the Mega MKM monolithic platform......shoots like a dream. Actually just picked up the same barrel as you in .308 (1/10 twist) and am going to pair it with another MKM upper and use the existing lower. Good luck with your development.