• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

A3 Mcmillan Edge with Rem Varmint contour build

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2011
I finally found another lefthanded stainless Rem 700 in 300 winchester. Planning on building a lighter weight tactical for long range hunting on Colorado's western slope. The thought is to buy an A3 with unpainted Edge fill, and to run about a 25" Rem varmint contour in 7mm remington mag. I'll run a Rock 9 twist and plan on shooting 168 Bergers. Scope will be a Leupold Mk 4 in 4.5-14x50.

Anyone running an Edge tactical stock and how would that barrel balance out in this type of rig?

Re: A3 Mcmillan Edge with Rem Varmint contour build

Should balance out fine. I build quite a few rifles in that similar setup. Flute the barrel and it will balance right at the front guard screw.

I have two A3s. One is an edge with med palma barrel which is very similar to a Remington varmint contour. I love the A3 edge and plan to use it on all my future builds. I do not think I would call this setup a "lightweight"...what finish weight were you shooting for?

7mmAM, I went to your site and that is pretty much the concept I have in mind. Not going to be a pack all day rig, but one to setup with on cross canyon shots for those stinking bears.

Dyoung, I am thinking total weight under 11 pounds. I have several lightweight 7 pound to 8 pound rigs that do great to 500 or so yards. Just wanting something a bit more conducive to longer range shots. It may also get some play on the plains on some of the longer deer overlooks I have.

Might have to flute that rem varmint and keep it at around 25" finished. Thank you for the feedback to you both.

The A-3 will probably be around 2.5# depending on features chosen. I have an A1-3 Edge that has 1” Decel and five flush cups and it weighs around 2#. I had considered the A-3, but McMillan explained it has a much beefier butt end which made it heavier than a similarly outfitted A1-3. That being the case it should balance fine. My A1-3 balances all right with a 20” Rem Varmint. I had an HTG Edge before and even with the 20” it was very nose heavy. The HTG is a pretty small stock though.

I have Mcmillan A1-3 in EDGE fill for Rem 700 SA
1" decel pad, 2 flush cups, 1 swevel stud, inletted for Surgeon DBM.
It weights 850 gramms (29.98 oz)

My Rem with 18.5" varmint contour + AAC Blackout balances just fine.

I'm running an A-3 Edge on my 20" SPS-T. The balance is just fine, albeit a shorter barrel than what you have in mind.

As you may know already, the Edge comes with a few restrictions; 1) no adjustable LOP option, 2) no adjustable comb option, 3) no mold-in finish options, 4) cross-drilling for a Karsten cheek-piece will void the warranty. I guess the carbon-fiber shell is just too light for these things.

As pictured below, mine is 10.75 pounds (without bipod). I hope to shave another pound or so with an eventual Light Palma contour barrel upgrade.

IMG_5305.jpg

IMG_5307.jpg

A3 [std] with 20" Rem Varm contour...goes out at 10.5#
You should be in your weight range trading some stock weight for barrel length with good balance.
Surgeon260r.jpg

Great pics guys. Kicking around the fluted varmint or even an unfluted #5. If anyone is running a longer tube on the A3 edge, would love to hear more.