• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AAC 762-SDN-6 End-all, Be-all Can??

jakerz3

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2011
Oklahoma
I've been on the market a long time for a rifle suppressor. I currently have a 10.5" 223 AR and a 18" 223 AR, with intentions of building a 308 bolt rifle. I was considering purchasing a 762-SDN-6 to cover all 3 platforms. 51T Blackout flash hiders on the AR's and 51T muzzle brake on the 308 bolt rifle.

I know adding a suppressor can change the POI. I don't mind some change on the AR Platforms, but would prefer marginal change on the bolt gun. Now for the questions:

-- Would this be the best suppressor to meet my needs?
-- Or would it be better to purchase a dedicated 223 suppressor (I have the SWR Specwar in mind) and a 308 thread on can (I am looking at the AAC Cyclone or SAS Ti Arbiter)?

I like the idea of purchasing one suppressor and one stamp. Especially using it across multiple platforms. At the same time, I would like to have an optimal setup.

Any experience with any of the above suppressors. Or any advice you might be able to give me for this situation would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Jake

<span style="font-weight: bold">**UPDATE**</span> - After reading some more, this is what I have come up with:

762-SDN-6 is 4 DB louder than the M4-200 on a 223 AR and 4 DB louder than a 762SD on a 308. Is 4 DB that big of a deal? I mean, the ability to use one suppressor on both calibers and be 4 DB louder on each as a bi-product, doesn't seem that bad to me. Am I wrong?

Re: AAC 762-SDN-6 End-all, Be-all Can??

I absolutely love my AAC cans for ruggedness (so far very little erosion on any of them after hard use) and volume, however POI shift isn't perfect. My M4-2000 has between 1-3 inches of straight vertical poi shift depending on the host and seems fairly repeatable, my 762SD is not repeatable at all, so I usually just zero the gun with the can on and leave it on.

Most consistent accuracy will be a thread on can dedicated.

IMHO the QD attachments are great and work well for what I do. I move two AAC 7.62 SD around on five calibers. 223/6.5/6.8/260/ and 308, and am happy with them all. I also have a seperate 223 suppressor and to my ears cannot tell the difference. Old ears. If I was doing it over I would have just done the AAC route all the way. Do NOT put that 308 can on anything of larger caliber, unless you want a surprise!!!!!!!!!!!

If looking for consistent accuracy get a thread on and dedicate it to that weapon and leave it on.

It doesn't matter, because after you buy your first can, you are going to buy more so you will not need one be-all, end-all suppressors. You will have one for every occasion then a few more just for the giggles.

aac makes a great product. so does thunderbeast tho wish i would have got a 30ba instead of my gemtech

Jake,

You might consider the full sized 762-SD. It's a little over an inch longer than the N6, but it weighs the same and will give you better reduction on the bolt gun. The N6 is optimized for the pressures of 12.5-14.5" 7.62's, so it's performance on longer barrels is a little behind the full sized 762-SD for your application.

Mike Smith
AAC R&D

I had a similar situation and settled on an AAC 7.62SD The sound supression is very acceptable on 308 and on a 223 it seems better than some dedicated 223 cans. The POI shift is generally less than 2 MOA except for one 26" medium weight 308 where it is 5 MOA. As for repeatability I had to learn that there is some play even in the new 51 tooth mount but as the can gets carboned up and I tighten till it firmly seats on the shoulder of the brake even if its "between notches". At first it wanted to walk backwared into a notch and accuracy suffered some but now with some carbon buildup, which I have no intentions of removing, it stays where I put it. All weapons are capable of 1 MOA with can and without it, with one doing considerably better. This can could be my one and only but beware, you will have a hard time stopping at one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It doesn't matter, because after you buy your first can, you are going to buy more so you will not need one be-all, end-all suppressors. You will have one for every occasion then a few more just for the giggles.</div></div>

So I have heard. I'm waiting on a stamp for a SWR 22 suppressor I bought back in May (my first one). I figure something like this might be the case. The 762-SDN-6 will be a can that does "good" in both setups. Where a dedicated 223 and dedicated thread on 308 can will be the "best".... The truth hurts sometimes. ha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilentMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jake,

You might consider the full sized 762-SD. It's a little over an inch longer than the N6, but it weighs the same and will give you better reduction on the bolt gun. The N6 is optimized for the pressures of 12.5-14.5" 7.62's, so it's performance on longer barrels is a little behind the full sized 762-SD for your application.

Mike Smith
AAC R&D</div></div>

I'll have to look into the SD. I'll save a little money while I'm at it too. Thanks for the info Mike.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Todd629</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a similar situation and settled on an AAC 7.62SD The sound supression is very acceptable on 308 and on a 223 it seems better than some dedicated 223 cans. The POI shift is generally less than 2 MOA except for one 26" medium weight 308 where it is 5 MOA. As for repeatability I had to learn that there is some play even in the new 51 tooth mount but as the can gets carboned up and I tighten till it firmly seats on the shoulder of the brake even if its "between notches". At first it wanted to walk backwared into a notch and accuracy suffered some but now with some carbon buildup, which I have no intentions of removing, it stays where I put it. All weapons are capable of 1 MOA with can and without it, with one doing considerably better. This can could be my one and only but beware, you will have a hard time stopping at one!</div></div>

I've heard of these suppressors not wanting to cinch down all the way. Kind of stuck between teeth. That was another concern I had.

mine (18 tooth) doesnt quite lock down unless I play with it

Nothing is ever the end-all be-all. AAC will create some tweak/improvement eventually.

With that said it's a good can. I have the older 18T design and it works very well also.

After running some numbers (thanks Jeepocabra) and looking at the overall picture; I think 2 suppressors is the way to go. I like the idea of running a muzzle brake or flash hider that the suppressor mounts too, so that kind of narrows down the field. I think the following will work the best for me:

223 - SWR Specwar (when they are released), or the M4-2000

308 - AAC 762-SD

I know the M42K already has a great reputation. I would like to see how the new Specwar fairs though. Might have to sit on my hands for a bit and see.

Thanks for all the help guys/gals,

Jake

For what it's worth, the difference in sound on a longer barrel bolt gun between the SD and the SD-N6 is going to be something only a computer can hear, probably. The same goes for a dedicated .223 can compared to the N6 or SD on a .223 rifle. I would seriously reconsider the concept of two suppressors, two tax stamps, and two NFA submissions. From behind the rifle, you won't be able to tell what suppressor you are shooting. Two suppressors to do what ONE suppressor will do (and do admirably, I might add) is not near as good an investment. In fact, the only place you will probably notice the difference would be when you check your bank account.

While we are on it, I would push for the N6. AS a dual use can, it will look and feel more at home on your AR than the longer SD. I had an older 18 tooth SD and it worked great on an AR, but just felt a bit long. I've sold it and am waiting for my N6 to clear. It will be equally at home on your bolt gun AND your shorter AR platforms. Again, the difference in suppression between the two will only be discernable by a sound meter, not us.

At least consider doing this...get the N6 first and see how you like it before you get a dedicated .223 can. I'd be willing to bet that you won't ever get around to the second suppressor.
smile.gif

What you can do to have positive engagement on the 51t mount is polish the seating groove where the suppressor sits. I did this with a drill and some 400 grt sandpaper, it now locks up tight.

I have the 762SD / 51t and switch between both 223 & 308 AR's and Bolt guns. It is a great suppressor for all platforms but POI is like 4moa on the 223AR but extremely repeatable.

I did notice when I tried a M4-2000 that the POI was much closer to POI without the suppressor. It was only like 1-1.5MOA. Although most people 15ft away said it was louder, I could not tell a difference

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For what it's worth, the difference in sound on a longer barrel bolt gun between the SD and the SD-N6 is going to be something only a computer can hear, probably. The same goes for a dedicated .223 can compared to the N6 or SD on a .223 rifle. I would seriously reconsider the concept of two suppressors, two tax stamps, and two NFA submissions. From behind the rifle, you won't be able to tell what suppressor you are shooting. Two suppressors to do what ONE suppressor will do (and do admirably, I might add) is not near as good an investment. In fact, the only place you will probably notice the difference would be when you check your bank account.

While we are on it, I would push for the N6. AS a dual use can, it will look and feel more at home on your AR than the longer SD. I had an older 18 tooth SD and it worked great on an AR, but just felt a bit long. I've sold it and am waiting for my N6 to clear. It will be equally at home on your bolt gun AND your shorter AR platforms. Again, the difference in suppression between the two will only be discernable by a sound meter, not us.

At least consider doing this...get the N6 first and see how you like it before you get a dedicated .223 can. I'd be willing to bet that you won't ever get around to the second suppressor.
smile.gif
</div></div>

This is what I was originally considering. My only fear was, winding up with a suppressor (762-SDN-6) that wasn't the best in the 308 platform or the 223 (the only rifle calibers I shoot). Just a good go-between. On those test Bryon did, there was about a 4 DB difference between the 762SD and SDN-6. I'm not sure how much of a difference that is, or if it's even a big deal. Like you said, only a computer would be able to tell. Looks like more research for me.

I personally would spend on the best suppressor within my budget that can be used on most platforms to begin with. If not the whole 4mths waiting for it you're gonna be thinking why didn't i get the other one. Which is what I did... I knew the 762SD would work on my platforms all I needed was a mount. I also knew that the 762SD would work the best on my 308 and very good on my 223. With that reasoning my second can will be depending on ca$h and either a 762SDN6 or a dedicated 223 can. I have more 308's than I do 223's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trophyhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally would spend on the best suppressor within my budget that can be used on most platforms to begin with. If not the whole 4mths waiting for it you're gonna be thinking why didn't i get the other one. Which is what I did... I knew the 762SD would work on my platforms all I needed was a mount. I also knew that the 762SD would work the best on my 308 and very good on my 223. With that reasoning my second can will be depending on ca$h and either a 762SDN6 or a dedicated 223 can. I have more 308's than I do 223's</div></div>

I have 2 AR's right now and 0 308's (had one, got rid of it, regret it). I plan on building a 308 bolt gun again, but don't have the $2-3k to do it the way I want... If I bought a 308 suppressor, it might be awhile before it was actually used on a 308.

Thanks for all the responses and advice everyone. This tread has shown me that I need to do some more homework.

After reading some more, this is what I have come up with:

762-SDN-6 is 4 DB louder than the M4-200 on a 223 AR and 4 DB louder than a 762SD on a 308. Is 4 DB that big of a deal? I mean, the ability to use one suppressor on both calibers and be 4 DB louder on each as a bi-product, doesn't seem that bad to me. Am I wrong?

(I'm adding this to the first post for those just now joining this thread)

I am kinda in the same boat as you...except my paperwork is already sent. I decided on th sdn-6 when if first came out thinking it would be great for .308 and .223. The more I have read on this sight though may have moved me in another direction... but now I am locked in (I think).
Guess I am just gonna wait and see what happens but I wish I wouldn't have done more research before finalizing the decision. Who knows... It may suit my needs, just have to wait and see.

Just for fun, here are some real world decibel comparisons found by googling. Looks like 5 decibels is the difference between a power saw and a loud rock concert...still pretty sure I couldn't tell the difference!
smile.gif

Environmental Noise

Weakest sound heard 0dB
Whisper Quiet Library 30dB
Normal conversation (3-5') 60-70dB
Telephone dial tone 80dB
City Traffic (inside car) 85dB
Train whistle at 500', Truck Traffic 90dB
Subway train at 200' 95dB
Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss 90 - 95dB
Power mower at 3' 107dB
Snowmobile, Motorcycle 100dB
Power saw at 3' 110dB
Sandblasting, Loud Rock Concert 115dB

On the other hand, the chart also showed the following...so it's your call!
smile.gif

Imperceptible Change 1dB
Barely Perceptible Change 3dB
Clearly Noticeable Change 5dB

^^^^looks like it falls into the "Barely Perceptible" to "Clearly Noticeable" Change. LMAO. Thanks for the numbers.

I agree with the value of one suppressor for both guns. But in my personal experience 3-4DB's is the threshold of obvious perceived improvement with centerfire products metering in the 132-140DB range.

At the ear noise might be similar for two different models, but 4Db's louder up front is going to make a difference in the atmosphere (sound everyone else hears and that echoes around).