• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AAC Customer Service

johnhilterman

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2011
Pensacola, FL
Thought I'd pass on my negative experience with AAC's customer service...

Have a new 762-SD can mounted on a 51T Brakeout. Like many others, it doesn't stay locked up tight because the ratchet teeth on the can are landing on an "uphill" tooth of the Brakeout mount instead of a "downhill" tooth. Rig is a tack driver when I torque it down tight by hand but after a string of 10 or so shots, the can backs off, gets all wobly, and groupings go to shit. Contacted my local gunsmith at the class 3 dealer I bought the can from to see if he could modify the mount, as others have done with success, by lightly shaving a couple thousandths off the mating surfaces. Answer was "no way, contact AAC."

So I call AAC tech support to explain my dilemma expecting some kind of help after spending 1k on their products. Was told it's normal for the can to loosen up and to expect lower accuracy. What??? Really??? Told him had that been told to me prior to purchase or made public on their website, I would have gone elsewhere. He said if I wanted better accuracy, I had to go with a more "precision" setup like their 90 tooth mount (which OBTW wasn't being sold when I purchased this can) or another can producer. WTF! Really??? He also said "shoot the shit out of it to get some carbon built up inside, then it'll stay tight." Decided to end the call on that note when it was pretty apparent AAC wasn't going to stand behind their product whatsoever.

So....buyers beware. I was originally going to go with Surefire but let my class 3 dealer talk me into an AAC setup. Expensive lesson learned on my part. I'll now try the modification in hopes I can salvage this can. Frustrating situation to say the least. Spend a good chunk of money on a production suppressor only to be put in a position of having to homegrown modify it to get it to work properly.

Same boat, I sent in my SDN-6 and the two mounts with the "carbon build up" because it was loose and was not shooting good groups, I after 3 weeks I got a call saying that the items was to spec and that alittle play was normal, ( I'm not sure what they consider a little play but I can do circles with the can attached on both mounts). They told me I should have bought a different manufactures can if I had a problem with them and sent me COD my can and mounts and a free sticker for their inferior product. I will never buy from them again and encourage others to do the same.

Same here. Several TV shows with 400 grit sandpaper and I made it tight. Could have spent that time working and bought a Surefire. Lesson learned.

I had heard bad things, this makes me really glad I decided to go with TBAC for my first can. Can't wait to get it! Sorry to hear about the poor support guys.

AAC customer service has dropped off the chart over the past couple of years. At one time, they were a top tier organization. In R&D, product, and service. I had an issue with a new 762sd (when they were first released) and it was handled lickety split. The other products I have purchased from them were with out regret. Lately, while inquiring about service, or issues (when you can actually speak with someone) the response has been "too bad, that's the way it is".
While supplying a customer based product, that is a niche within a niche, I realize it is important to have the newest, coolest, whatever. The bottom line is customer service is what will keep you on the Zenith. My last 3 suppressor purchases have been with other vendors, and so far I have been pleased with CS, contact and service. Personally in this day of sound suppression I believe there are several great vendors and and manufacturers of suppressors that are above the bar where AAC is currently. That is where I will spend my money.

I have had relatively good experiences with AAC customer service. The first can I ever bought was the old 18 tooth 762-SD. That thing had my REPR sending bullets all over the planet. AAC checked it out and said it was out of spec and replaced it with a 762 SDN-6. Bad thing is I had already decided that the 18 tooth mount was the issue and bought the same can with the 51 tooth mount. Both of those cans shoot pretty well. When the 300 Blackout craze started a couple years ago, I got a 9 inch upper form AAC. To say that upper was not very accurate is putting it mildly. Again AAC checked it and replaced it with a brand new upper. I have five AAC cans and the 300 BLK upper. I truly hope thir CS hasn't gone to shit or I may have issues for servicing these items in the future.

-Shaky

Call me crazy but is this really a CS issue?
Why DID you buy a single point ratchet mount suppressor for a precision application?

This exact problem is why two point and thread mount exists, to ensure a positive mount that can continue to be consistent in the face of natural metal erosion from exposure to blast pressures at the mount point.

Factor in that AAC is the "remington" of the supressor world, mass producing parts, each of which has an allowed machining tolersnce in mass production. Can you really be butt hurt when your single point ratchet mount shows the slop that results when you stack tolerences from two or more parts?

You bought a low/mid range offering from a mass producer and purchased a model that was not ideal for your application because you apparently failed to educate yourself before making your purchase on suppressor/mount selection.

I agree the messaging could be nicer and shipping anything COD to anyone is a bitch move, but i have trouble laying the OP issue as originally the OEM's fault. It sounds like you just didnt like what you are hearing, you with ere needed a mount style more suitable to precision, or you needed to buy from a small volume precision vendor that is using really right tolerances on every part because they are using smaller volume and a higher price point as thier business model.

Last edited:
oddball six makes good points.

that being said, their products are FAR from shit. as far as ACTUAL warranty repair goes. it's on pretty damn good. i've read nothing but good things over the course of the last few years with regards to cans with endcap or baffle strikes being repaired and returned with no cost to customer.

hell, i simply QUESTIONED the effectiveness of a Brakeout and Mers sent me a new muzzle device of my choice. Try that with Surefire. they'll laugh at your ass.

QD cans are NOT designed for precision use.....period. Surefire did indeed nearly perfect the POI shift but even they'll advise you that you'll see SOME shift depending on a litany of variables.

a QD can is more versatile......a direct thread can is more accurate.

do research beforehand and this will be readily apparent.

Yep - plenty of research is the best approach. Then, buying what you really need instead of what you want for the intended application. In my case, I wanted a quick-detach (for no good reason - I planned on shooting suppressed exclusively), but needed a thread-on. I made the mistake of getting an AAC 762-SD for precision rifle application (one can to do many things line of thinking). Expensive mistake. 18T mount - can coming loose etc. To be fair, I probably would have been OK with a Surefire QD as they make great products all around.

I finally came to my senses and purchased a TBAC 30P-1. One less thing to worry about as a variable when shooting precision rifle. AAC's ramping up the number of teeth on their latches 18, then 51, then 90 (?) tells the story. The 762-xxx models even with a 1,000 tooth latch is not optimal for a precision rifle application in my opinion.

It is absolutely ridiculous that people were driven to modifying their 762 mounts with sandpaper and dremel tools. Shameful for AAC as far as I am concerned.

My experiences with AAC customer service were few, but satisfactory. That was some time ago however.

I am about 7 weeks in on waiting for my AAC SDN6, reading some of these post gives me some concern. Mine is the 51T adapter, I plan to use it mainly on a 300 black out build that I am working on but also wanted to use it on my REPR. I guess in about 5 more months I'll find out if mine holds. I don't like the idea of having to tighten it every 10 shots, I hope that is not the case..

Rigamortous,

If it doesn't lock up tight, you can fix it yourself like I did. It's lame that the customer has to do it, but really it's not too difficult, and since you are stuck with that can it's really worth the time it takes.

My experience with AAC customer service so far has been quite good. I have a MK13 right now and an Element 2 on the way. My experience with them started in July of last year when I ordered the MK13. I have had 6 or 7 phone calls in all and if they didn't answer, a call back was had within a day. Same goes for email responses. Speaking with them I felt they were gun guys who enjoyed shooting and didn't mind educating me for a few minutes. The only disappointments are regarding product availability. I originally wanted the 300TM and was told it was going to be several months before they could even generate a serial number. So I spent the extra $ for a MK13. I thought (and still think) announcing the product that far in advance of actual release was a bit of an unfair teaser. I was running out of patience on the Element 2 and was about to go with a Sparrow when Silencer Shop suddenly had them in stock. This is the reason I have an FA556 in my dealers safe instead of the SR5, and will be ordering a 30-P1 at the end of March as I want a screw on and that 300TM is still nowhere in sight.

All that being said, I am a very brand loyal person. If I feel I am getting a good product from a company that will communicate with me then I am going to stick with them. AAC was originally recommended to me by a current SEAL sniper who got to play with just about any toy he wanted. If a company messes that up I am gone forever. Seeing TBAC respond to customers concerns almost instantly right here on the Hide is the reason I have chosen them for the screw on. And I'm sure I will brag about that one as much as I do about the MK13.

I bought two SF cans and never looked back, I have had to deal with SF customer service and it was excellent.

Rigamortous,

If it doesn't lock up tight, you can fix it yourself like I did. It's lame that the customer has to do it, but really it's not too difficult, and since you are stuck with that can it's really worth the time it takes.

Did you work on the spline / teeth or just smooth out the mating surfaces ?

Did you work on the spline / teeth or just smooth out the mating surfaces ?

Just slowly sand down the angled surface on the mount (DO NOT alter the silencer). This it the surface that the teeth stick out of, but you aren't really working on the teeth directly. Keep going until you can just barely ratchet onto the next tooth. It will get slightly easier but still very tight over time with shooting and removing/re-mounting.

Surefire has always given me EXCELLENT customer service. The 2 762SS/AL's I've shot on my bolt gun have increased accuracy and never once comes loose. I now have a 5.56 SOCOM on the way that will be used on my SBR and SPR. These suppressors are quick detach,suppress well, and increase accuracy. Best of both worlds= Surefire.

I know that had nothing to do with AAC but I was just trying to give you a reason to make the switch :)

Use my SDN-6 on my 8" blackout and 16" POF .308 and it does wiggle a tad bit, but I have found no ill effects on accuracy. Shoot my .POF out to 800 yards regularly and its on if I'm on. Although like stated, obviously AAC knows about the problem and is attempting to fix it by continuously increasing the # of teeth on their mounting systems. Wonder how the 90 tooth locks up?

Take a bad design and keep adding more teeth until the problem is mitigated, 18 to 51 to 90, 123 tooth in a year or 2?

I am actually happy with my 762 SD, I have seen no degradation in accuracy in any of my rifle, semi auto or bolt. Some mounts lock up tight, some have a little play. Why not shoot it before you make a determination?

OP,

Please email me at [email protected]

I am sorry to hear of your CS issue and negative experience.

I agree that a $1000 anything should need "fitting". We will send you a shipping label so you can UPS the silencer and Breakout back for a QC inspection. If the parts are out of spec we will replace them... PERIOD... always have always will. O course the goal is to NOT ship parts that are out of spec but that does happen on occasion. I hope to resolve this quickly for you.

Mike Mers
AAC Sales Manger

I know plenty of smiths that will modify the AAC mounts for you. I am lucky to have a local guy that will let me use his equipment and we modify quite a bit every month actually. AAC has really changed since they were bought out by Freedom Group.
If your gunsmith wont modify a mount that he talked you into, tell him to go pound sound and fine someone better!

OP,

Please email me at [email protected]

I am sorry to hear of your CS issue and negative experience.

I agree that a $1000 anything should need "fitting". We will send you a shipping label so you can UPS the silencer and Breakout back for a QC inspection. If the parts are out of spec we will replace them... PERIOD... always have always will. O course the goal is to NOT ship parts that are out of spec but that does happen on occasion. I hope to resolve this quickly for you.

Mike Mers
AAC Sales Manger

Now I feel better about my can that hasn't even arrived yet.

Aaaaaaaaaand....As I mentioned above, AAC's customer service is top notch.

I'd prefer to not hear anymore nonsense.

EVERYBODY puts out a lemon every now and then. It's how the mfg. handles themselves after the fact that separates them from others.

EVERYBODY puts out a lemon every now and then. It's how the mfg. handles themselves after the fact that separates them from others.

AAC is a good company, I own many products from them but the lack of engineering on the mounts and willingness to help the end user by changing the design is a bit worrisome to me.
I have several 51t mounts and had to modify them all to work like they should on a bolt gun. My 762-SD went from being a horrible suppressor to a can that improved groups with about 3 minutes of machine work.

Why would a company put out a muzzle device that HINDERS the performance of their suppressor, then not attempt to make it better? Don't even start to tell me the 90t system is better because it is not much different. My 300SD and MK13 both wiggle and all sorts of powder residue ends up on the barrel. It does not affect the accuracy of the gun. I think that's an issue that needs to be resolved completely. Adding teeth to the brake is not the solution, obviously.

Oh yeah and look what it took to take care of ONE problem can, when there are plenty out there with this issue. That does NOT make it top notch service.

AAC is a good company, I own many products from them but the lack of engineering on the mounts and willingness to help the end user by changing the design is a bit worrisome to me.
I have several 51t mounts and had to modify them all to work like they should on a bolt gun. My 762-SD went from being a horrible suppressor to a can that improved groups with about 3 minutes of machine work.

Why would a company put out a muzzle device that HINDERS the performance of their suppressor, then not attempt to make it better? Don't even start to tell me the 90t system is better because it is not much different. My 300SD and MK13 both wiggle and all sorts of powder residue ends up on the barrel. It does not affect the accuracy of the gun. I think that's an issue that needs to be resolved completely. Adding teeth to the brake is not the solution, obviously.

Yes it is a lack of engineering and customer service that has been an issue to many and especially since Remington took them over.

I haven't put many round through it yet, but I have a new 762sdn6. 51t brakeout mount on my Noveske 8.2" blk upper.

Mine seems to lock up right, as long as you torque it down well.

My next gun is going to be a precision bolt gun, and I figured I'd just get a 51t for it so I could use the same can. Been reading some lately and it looks like I'll need a second, screw on can.

I tested the 762 SD-N6 on my bolt guns. The results were not what I was expecting. It was snappy, had a very distinct crack to the shot. Accuracy I was not impressed with... which is a shame because my older 762SD models are great on bolt guns.

Oh yeah and look what it took to take care of ONE problem can, when there are plenty out there with this issue. That does NOT make it top notch service.

Yes it is a lack of engineering and customer service that has been an issue to many and especially since Remington took them over.

Admittedly, these issues have been at the forefront LONG before Remington acquired them.....That being said, the issue is with the design and production NOT their C.S.

I have yet to hear a report of them NOT replacing or repairing a product.

Engineering and customer service are two ENTIRELY different things.....I believe the title of this post has the words "Customer Service" in it and NOT "Shoddy Engineering".

I called AAC inquiring about a Tirant 45; wanted to find out what in fact was titanium. The rep said; the Seals use it, and pretty much that's all you need to know. So I emailed them and gentleman named Cade Patterson replied. He was very apologetic and answered all my questions! As in most companies; if you catch the guy that got up on the wrong side of the bed, it isn't going to be pleasant. Surefire used to be a mess, but w/ the likes of Chucky they have straightened out some what. Hell, not too long ago Surefire only had 1 year warranties, while AAC was doing lifetime warranties. Most companies can have CS issues; but then again we have plenty to choose from. My hats off to Chucky and Cade Patterson.

I have several, some wobble some dont. All shoot sub MOA on both bolt and AR's. customer service has been fair.

I have to give a +1 to Cade...had a minor issue with my TiRant 45 and he was all over it. Sample size of one issue with ACC, but it was GTG for me.

ZY

Last edited:
I have to give a +1 to Cade...had a minor issue with my TiRant 45 and he was all over it. Sampel size of one issue with ACC, but it was GTG for me.

ZY

+1 to Cade, answers all my emails pretty quick.