• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AAC Pilot question

Cheyenne19

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2007
Hunter, AR
I've got a question for the Pilot owners. How many of you have had trouble with them filling up with lead, and how long does it take? I'm looking at one and I can get it now or I can wait on a YHM Mite. The Mite has been on order for 2 months, and I can get one as soon as they come in. Any advice is welcome.

Re: AAC Pilot question

There are variables to this question.
Use on FA, semi or bolt host.
Shooting copper washed bullets vs. non.

I personally would not own a sealed .22 can. With the # of new take apart cans on the market why? Go to John T's web page and pay the $30 to join. Worth every penny. He just did a new .22 "shootout."

The days of sending back your can and getting a new one when it fills up with crap are over. (new tax stamp due to the "Gemtech tax")

http://www.silencerresearch.com/ He also has a free section of old tests and a free forum.

AAC has 2 EXCELLENT take apart .22s The "new" Prodigy and the Element.

SWR Specter is a good choice for a quiet all around multi caliber. .22

The new 2008 .22 review alone was worth the price of admission.

"See same day comparisons of 33 silencers tested on the Walther P22, the Ruger 10/22, and for those silencer rated for 22 Magnum, 17HMR, and 22 Hornet, those tests are available too. The test also includes the 22LR conversion kit with M16 lower."

With the pain in the butt it takes to get one the wait and the $200 stamp the info is a must for any new .22 purchase. IMHO.

The new AAC Element is a VERY light and quite quiet can. It is also serviceable. Some people don't like the looks of it.

I did not have the luxury of his site when I made my 3 can purchases. I used some test data but it was quite old so I did not get what would be my 1st choices today.

The biggest disappointment was my .22 can. However it will turn out OK thanks to AAC redesigning the core. I will end up with one of the best .22 cans

However I had one of the loudest on my pistols for a couple of years till the new core was made available. (hopefully next month!) Then I will have one of the quietest. So my purchase of the Prodigy was only a temporary glitch. The Old Core is excellent on the rifle.

Both the Prodigy and Element will be available shortly. There are others that tested well that are on the shelf... But that info is on John's site.

I can tell you it WILL change your opinion of many cans. hint hint

The days of sending back your can and getting a new one when it fills up with crap are over. (new tax stamp due to the "Gemtech tax")

I wish people would research before posting this rubbish. If you send the can back to the manufacturer and they simply replace the internals there is no additional tax due. There would be a tax if the internals were an "upgrade" from what was originally in there. Further to that was the fact that this tax came about because Gemtech sought clarification from BATFE on an issue created by AAC...

In answer to the original question asked... I have zero issues with my Outback and have literally thousands of rounds through it. I also like the Mite (black stainless)as it comes apart for cleaning. While not as quiet as the Outback it works well and is also rated for the 22mag, 17hmr and is full auto rated. If I could only have one I would pick the Outback...

Tom