• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AAC SD 7.62 modified mount

Caterpillardoc

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
Doswell, Virginia
I purchased an AAC SD 7.62 about four years ago. This was my first suppressor and I was never happy using it on my bolt rifle because the zero shift wasn’t always consistent. If I had known more then about different suppressors, I would have gone a different route.

At any rate, I sent the suppressor to Nick Bosco, owner of ECCO Machine, to have the mounting system change to an Area 419 Hellfire system and I’m completely happy with the end results. The machine work is excellent, I have a consistent 3/4 MOA zero height shift and accuracy is as good with or without the suppressor. I’m using it on a 6mm Creedmoor bolt rifle with a 26” Bartlein MTU profile barrel.

The modification cost around $300 with machining work, adapter and shipping.

I highly recommend using ECCO Machine, the quality of the work is excellent, Nick answered all my questions about having the conversion done and had the suppressor back to me in 2 weeks.

Picture of the ratchet system removed and the ID threaded.

Attachments

• B8EBC4C4-BCDF-4FD0-8466-2D542A6A0990.jpeg
    B8EBC4C4-BCDF-4FD0-8466-2D542A6A0990.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
SWEET!

That is the perfect solution and cost effective IMHO.

Thanks for sharing your project!

I was looking at purchasing an Ultra 9, however the 1 year wait time was discouraging and $1400 with the stamp vs 2 weeks and $300. I’m sure an Ultra is quieter than the AAC, however at this point I’m happy with what I ended up with.

Reactions: skyrep
Nick's a cool guy and does great work, i'm about to send him another barrel to get chopped and threaded.

I have an old AAC Cyclone do you think it would be possible to open the back up and enable some type of QD attachment say if threaded the same as a dead air or sico asr mount? the outside diameter is the same

Tag for when my sdn-6 gets approved. I already run the 419 system on my other cans, seems like a no brainer. $300 isn’t too bad, the mounts are $150+

Does he do ceracote?

I have an old AAC Cyclone do you think it would be possible to open the back up and enable some type of QD attachment say if threaded the same as a dead air or sico asr mount? the outside diameter is the same

I believe the AAC SD 7.62 and Cyclone are about the same suppressors except for the mount, SD’s quick attach and Cyclone direct thread. Contact Nick to see if he can do the modification for you.

Tag for when my sdn-6 gets approved. I already run the 419 system on my other cans, seems like a no brainer. $300 isn’t too bad, the mounts are $150+

Does he do ceracote?

I don’t know if he does ceracote. He refinished mine with black moly resin. It looks good, much better than when I sent it. The finish looks durable.

Last edited:
Reactions: ccasanova
I have the same suppressor with the same problem and want the same solution. Thanks for the great info. Be giving him a call tomorrow.

Wonder if he could do that for a cherry bomb for the m4-2000, 762SDN6

I reached out, and looks like its good news. but it would be a first, Im going to send mine in and see what happens and ill make a thread in regards to what happens. Im also going to ask for a endcap that can take the Vox end caps

From ECCO: Shouldn't be a problem. I haven't had one through for work yet, but I imagine their built pretty much the same as the other AAC rifle cans, just with DT instead of the ratchet. The SD/SDN-6/5.56SD/M4-2000 conversions to Omega pattern mount modules run $200 with Moly Resin refinish & insured return shipping.

Does he do ceracote?

Follow-Up: $100 titanium Area419 adapter + $190 shipped from ECCO = a brand new looking and much improved functioning can.

I already run the Area419 adapters on a SiCo Omega and 2 TBACs. I picked up this older SDN-6 used, from a friend, on the cheap, scratched up and looking rough. Now it looks brand new and interchanges with my others.

Excellent communication and quality workmanship from ECCO!

Whhich specific model did you get then?

My thoughts were to grab a adaptor with a built in muzzle brake to act like another baffle.

I went with the Hellfire Self Timing Muzzle Brake (30 Cal). The reason for the 30 Cal is i can use it on both the 6.5 & .308 rifles i have.
Bought one Muzzle brake, and enough Hellfire Universal adapters to attach the Suppressor or Muzzle Brake on which ever rifle i am using that day. The weapons that don't have the suppressor or Muzzle Brake on it, gets a thread protector.

You need to check with Ecco to see which mount systems will work. The SiCo Omega Mount works(it’s what I got ECCO to put on my sdn6) but there is no additional baffle like on the Area419 TBAC mounts. The issue is the diameter of the cans...I don’t think the TBAC mount will work on the sdn6.

Reactions: Eric32
This is really cool to see.

I had a talk with an AAC guy one time about their 762 cans. His whole response to the conversation just blew my mind.

I went with the Hellfire Self Timing Muzzle Brake (30 Cal). The reason for the 30 Cal is i can use it on both the 6.5 & .308 rifles i have.
Bought one Muzzle brake, and enough Hellfire Universal adapters to attach the Suppressor or Muzzle Brake on which ever rifle i am using that day. The weapons that don't have the suppressor or Muzzle Brake on it, gets a thread protector.
I’ve done the same, I’m planning on getting another 30 cal brake. I’m completely happy with the AAC 762 suppressor and the Area 419 Hellfire system.

Reactions: skyrep
I had all but moth balled my SDN-6 because of the crappy 51T ratchet mount and then I found Ecco. I got mine back a couple months ago and have been very satisfied! I went with the Area 419 system as well. I'll say that the suppressor side mount needs to be cranked on pretty tight otherwise it'll loosen up though. I took the 419 wrench and a rubber strap wrench and reefed down on it good. No issues since then.

Reactions: Caterpillardoc
Can you elaborate?

Sure.

I used to work for a pretty large suppressor dealer. While there we would have reps from suppressor companies come and educate us on their products. A lot of reps would answer questions and clear up issues we had and would take constructive feedback.

One day the AAC guy comes out. Their 763SD and SDN6 were very popular cans and we sold a lot. Me being a precision rifle guy I hated the mounting system and the way it would wear out or cause POI issues. I would never recommend that can to anyone that would listen.

So he's going on and on about their rifle cans and how great and quiet they are and how they are on the 15th revision of the baffles and they just keep making them better and better.

Me and the other guy sitting in the room with him ask him " but what about the mounting issues?"

AAC guy- "what mounting issues the 51T is great"

Us- Well these are the issues we have and customers are having to file mounts to get a tight fit, latches break, POI shifts are horrible"

AAC guy- " But the mounting system is great we'll never change that"

Us- "oh ok"

We quit listening to anything else after that.

Well I finally Dropped my AAC Cyclone off to add ASR QD which will make my can almost 10.25 inches long and will be dedicated for a Bolt gun use only..but even then thats alot of weight to hang off

I went with the Area 419 system. No REGRETS. Well worth it. The SDN-6 is built like a tank. It's down fall is the AAC adapter.

What is the contact information for ECCO Machine ? I would like to get this done for a AAC SDN-6.

I purchased an AAC SD 7.62 about four years ago. This was my first suppressor and I was never happy using it on my bolt rifle because the zero shift wasn’t always consistent. If I had known more then about different suppressors, I would have gone a different route.

At any rate, I sent the suppressor to Nick Bosco, owner of ECCO Machine, to have the mounting system change to an Area 419 Hellfire system and I’m completely happy with the end results. The machine work is excellent, I have a consistent 3/4 MOA zero height shift and accuracy is as good with or without the suppressor. I’m using it on a 6mm Creedmoor bolt rifle with a 26” Bartlein MTU profile barrel.

The modification cost around $300 with machining work, adapter and shipping.

I highly recommend using ECCO Machine, the quality of the work is excellent, Nick answered all my questions about having the conversion done and had the suppressor back to me in 2 weeks.

Picture of the ratchet system removed and the ID threaded.
[/QUOT

what was the turn around time from the time u shipped the can till u got it back I just contacted home waiting for a reply back I’m so tired of this 51tooth crap the can is two months old and I have tried everything to get it right nothin works forever with it only about 100 shots and back at it again in deff gonna have home change my can I just can’t make my mind up on wat system I like the SilencerCo system because all the mounting options. Like the keymo and the asr but I like the area419 system because when u shoot it it should tighten up because they r backwards threads I thsbk correct me if I’m wrong guys this has made my day just finding this because I had just called aac to see if they would make my can a direct thread and he didn’t believe me that I am getting blow back on my barrel it is black from all the gases he kept repeating his self like it was my fault and he finally says I’ll have to find out if that is even possible then I stumble on this form wat a great day this is thanks guys

Turn around was a couple weeks plus 2-3 days shipping each way. I would think current turnaround would depend on Nick’s workload. I would contact him to get a better idea of what to expect, I found communications with Nick very easy and him to be very honest.

Again I don’t regret going with Area 419. I chose that system based, like you said, on left hand threads, the taper design of the mating surfaces and I think the Hellfire is one of the best brakes made today.

If you go that route you will not get any carbon on the barrel from leakage at the adapter. The fit between the adapter and suppressor is tight. I have not had problems with the suppressor or brakes coming loose at any time. I’m running that system on four rifles now, two suppressed most of the time and two with brakes most of the time. I’m using the thread protectors if a brake doesn’t stay on the rifle.

Another great plus with the Area 419 system is I can zero the rifle with the suppressor and maintain zero while removing or installing it. I never have a zero shift caused by removing and installing the suppressor. The only thing to watch for is a light film of carbon will coat the tip of the adapter and all that is needed to keep it clean is wiping it off with your hand or a rag.

I cannot imagine you would be disappointed going this route or something similar.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I got a snd6 and a m42k. I wonder if they can be modified to take the key-mo system. The only thing that might be a hindrance is if the muzzle devices won’t fit in the cans once they are modified. That would be freaking awesome if it works because I hate the 51t mounts.

Last edited:
Tag.

Is it my understanding that you buy a separate mount. (How much?)

Then send him the can, he cuts it, threads it, inserts something else in and then what? you screw that can with the new insert onto the brake?

I went with wat he calls the omega mount system witch is the asr mount he will cut the 51tooth mount off and thread it just like a SilencerCo omega so u can screw all there mounts in even the keymo mount if I want to do that latter I just screw it in

I went with wat he calls the omega mount system witch is the asr mount he will cut the 51tooth mount off and thread it just like a SilencerCo omega so u can screw all there mounts in even the keymo mount if I want to do that latter I just screw it in
Omega has the same threads as Area 419 Hellfire system.

Tag.

Is it my understanding that you buy a separate mount. (How much?)

Then send him the can, he cuts it, threads it, inserts something else in and then what? you screw that can with the new insert onto the brake?
Correct, you purchase the adapter and ship with the suppressor. Area 419 adapter I used was $90.

Omega has the same threads as Area 419 Hellfire system.

I wasn’t aware of that although I did c were 419 makes a omega mount I know u said u went with 419 does there’s use a break in the omega system like there thunder beast system does

Another way to get 'em to lock up tight is to buy ten mounts, send back the ones that don't lock up/don't need.

Does it suck to buy $1000 worth of mounts to pick one? Yeah, but you'll get the refund and you'll get a mount that does work and it won't require work or voiding the warranty with a modified mount.

So who handles this now if you have a baffle strike? ECCO or AAC? Or are you on the hook?

I'd like different mounts too. So I phased those out and went with Saker cans. I use the AAC cans on M4's and SBR's.

Reactions: Shoots 700's
I wasn’t aware of that although I did c were 419 makes a omega mount I know u said u went with 419 does there’s use a break in the omega system like there thunder beast system does
I’m not familiar with Omega’s systems. I’m using this brake:

This barrel adapter:

This thread protector for rifles I only shot suppressed:

The link above for the barrel adapter gives a good view of the taper the suppressor adaptor sets on. As long as you wipe any carbon film on the adapter mating surfaces off I have never had any issues with needing to rezero when installing the suppressor.

There is an o-ring on the suppressor adapter that helps seal of gasses and cuts down on carbon.

Reactions: KYAggie