• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aadmount Scope Caps

koshkin

Dark Lord Of Optics
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2006
    New Mexico
    www.opticsthoughts.com
    Gentlemen,

I have a quick question:

If you own scope caps made by Aadmount, have you had any durability/reliability issues?

I ran into a claim that there are issues with them. I have several sets that have not given me any problems, so I figured I should ask around and see if my experience is unusual or if it is par for the course.

Thanks for your help.

ILya

The only issue I've ever had with them were caused by user error, where I forgot to remove the Tennabrex ring from my Minox before mounting the Aadland cap and broke the objective cap. A quick email to Jon and I had a replacement a few days later. I have his caps on a few scopes and have never had an issue with them

Last edited:
    Reactions: straightandtrue
    Gentlemen,

I have a quick question:

If you own scope caps made by Aadmount, have you had any durability/reliability issues?

I ran into a claim that there are issues with them. I have several sets that have not given me any problems, so I figured I should ask around and see if my experience is unusual or if it is par for the course.

Thanks for your help.

ILya
    I have them on all my scopes and have NEVER had any issues. Worth every penny

I have a few sets of Aadland scope caps. They are the best.

I broke one cap once, my fault. A new scope cap was in the mail the next day, free of charge.

Reactions: chevy327
    Anyway, it looks like so far between all of us, we are up to 50-60 caps with no issues other than occasional user error.

The background of this question is a conversation I have with the guy from MK Machining on Instagram. I alluded to his caps looking suspiciously like Aadmount caps with an implication that he really should not be talking about anyone copying designs.

He claims that Aadmount caps have a problem of some sort that makes them fail in sufficiently significant quantities that his version is a re-designed better mousetrap. My experience with Aadmount caps does not jive with what he is saying, so I figured I should see if it is representative of how they work for other people. So far, it sounds like my experience is not unusual.

ILya

@koshkin I'm calling BS on the Aadland caps having some inherent flaws that make a significant number of them fail. That rifle of mine with the Minox has been carried in field matches all over Colorado, New Mexico, Kansas, and a few other states, in rain, mud, and dry dusty conditions, up the sides of mountains, bumped into trees, rocks, barricades and other positional obstacles and they've never failed.

How did you manage to break it?

ILya

It was many years ago, but from what I remember I accidentally struck it on a port/window shooting out of a simulated house/PRS prop.

I've used Aadland scope caps for many years through all of my rifles, and that was the only issue I ever had. Totally self inflicted, and Aadland 100% took care of it.

Reactions: canezach
    I have some and love them.

My only glitch is that the objective cap sometimes doesn't want to shut properly, without a good whack ... and that the occurlar cap's release lever is sometimes a little hair trigger.

Beyond that, they've certainly not 'failed'. And while I'm still hoping the objective cap loosens up ever so slightly, I'm glad for the positivity, and love the caps ... I still can't quite get used to the Tupperware feel of Tenebraex caps ...

Reactions: BurtG
    I've been using multiple sets on multiple different manufacturers scopes over the years. I broke one objective cap by not loosening the screw on the side before trying to pull it off by the cap. To echo what others have said, they sent me another for my mistake. Great product.

I've owned about 6 sets of Aadland caps now with zero issues. And I'm a big, clumsy mofo. Someone here also mentioned Tyler's design being very similar to Aadland in the SH thread about Athlon's levers.

Anyway, it looks like so far between all of us, we are up to 50-60 caps with no issues other than occasional user error.

The background of this question is a conversation I have with the guy from MK Machining on Instagram. I alluded to his caps looking suspiciously like Aadmount caps with an implication that he really should not be talking about anyone copying designs.

He claims that Aadmount caps have a problem of some sort that makes them fail in sufficiently significant quantities that his version is a re-designed better mousetrap. My experience with Aadmount caps does not jive with what he is saying, so I figured I should see if it is representative of how they work for other people. So far, it sounds like my experience is not unusual.

ILya
    As I said, o have had zero problems w my Aadmount caps aside from what seems to be the common situation of them being a bit tight (well, pretty tight, really) to open and close. W use the got a bit easier and I would rather have them tight than loose. I’m happy w John’s product.

Now, I really like Tyler and out a set of his caps on a different scope. To me, they seem very similar to John’s but how many ways are there to make a printed cap?

With all that said, thru my professional career I always thought it was very poor form to denigrate a competing product. Touting the qualities and advantage of your product should be the limit and bad mouthing another company’s stuff just was off putty in to customers…for good reason IMO.

I still hold that view.

Reactions: Scott_at_Vortex
    Gentlemen,

I have a quick question:

Thanks for your help.

ILya
    3 sets, low usage, no issues. Yeah, they can be stiff to operate sometimes and need good pressure to close.

About a year ago I butter fingered my SWFA 3x9 when removing it from its mount. It hit the carpeted floor on the ocular end cap release, breaking it. If it had hit at any other angle, I think it would have weathered the blow.

aadland_ocular.jpg

I emailed Jon and got a replacement cap within a week or two.

Last edited:
    I have some of his first sets, great gear, especially compared to the train wreck that is Butler Creek.

I did have an early set on an SS3-9 that was made for the scope but didn't snug up well. The ocular eventually fell off and was lost. That said, every other set I own, probably 6-8 now, have fit exceedingly well.

I think that early ocular cover had a tightening screw and it just never fit right. I have never replaced it in the fear that the fit was never addressed or fixed. But I don't know that it wasn't fixed.

Alll others have been titties.

I have some of his first sets, great gear, especially compared to the train wreck that is Butler Creek.

I did have an early set on an SS3-9 that was made for the scope but didn't snug up well. The ocular eventually fell off and was lost. That said, every other set I own, probably 6-8 now, have fit exceedingly well.

I think that early ocular cover had a tightening screw and it just never fit right. I have never replaced it in the fear that the fit was never addressed or fixed. But I don't know that it wasn't fixed.

Alll others have been titties.
    Better by far than BCs or a couple twenties rubber banded over each end!

I have owned many sets on many scopes since he first released them. Not an issue one!
    Great product

So..... maybe @Tyler Kemp can let us know what the flaw is? I've been thinking about trying a set of his caps just haven't yet.

My initial purpose was to figure out if there is an actual problem that people see. It does not seem like there are any quality issues I can discern and the potential design issue is with the cap being very stiff and the release lever being a little too sensitive on at least a couple of sets.

Since Tyler is not exactly a disinterested party here, figuring out what exactly he meant is probably the next step.

In the interest of full disclaimer: I have never used any of MK's scope caps, so I do not have any comment on their design or quality. I did comment that visually they look like a direct rip-off of Aadmount caps. Then again, all caps do look sort of similar. Tyler did immediately offer to send me some of his new caps which I politely declined. When it sounds like someone is trying to send you stuff to shut you up, it is usually exactly that. Happens quite a bit.

ILya

I have had several sets of caps from Aadland. They are my favorite cap by far. The only issue I have had, was with a cap breaking on my Vortex Gen2 PST 3-15. I never even bothered to email Jon about it.

DK

I have had several sets of caps from Aadland. They are my favorite cap by far. The only issue I have had, was with a cap breaking on my Vortex Gen2 PST 3-15. I never even bothered to email Jon about it.

DK

What did you do to break it? Anything can be broken, but I am still curious if this was through regular use or something unusual.

ILya

Have a couple pair, nothing wrong with them at all.

Also had a set of MKM. They are more flexible, with no button to pop open the ocular. Spring is weaker, and lids do not go flat. There is a bumper so to speak printed into the ring to keep them from slamming into the scope.

Personally don't care for them. Threw them away after debating if it was worth trying to sell them.

Have a couple pair, nothing wrong with them at all.

Also had a set of MKM. They are more flexible, with no button to pop open the ocular. Spring is weaker, and lids do not go flat. There is a bumper so to speak printed into the ring to keep them from slamming into the scope.

Personally don't care for them. Threw them away after debating if it was worth trying to sell them.

Interesting. Tyler is supposed to have a Gen2 coming out. I wonder if he fixed the issues.

ILya

had a set of MKM. They are more flexible, with no button to pop open the ocular. Spring is weaker, and lids do not go flat.
    Wtf that’s a main draw for me to the Aadland’s. That and the durability.

Have a bunch of sets. Zero issues.

Tennebrex is a joke break them all the time

Reactions: Nostrings and M77
    There is a bumper so to speak printed into the ring to keep them from slamming into the scope.
    I know you're talking about MKM, but just on that note - the only thing I don't like about the Aadmount's is the noise when they slam into the scope. I'd rather have them lay flat like they do if I have to choose the tradeoff, but if he ever came up with something to deaden the noise/impact I'd upgrade. This is very easily mitigated by just holding them as you open them but I've been in the woods and let one slip to an unwanted "ping".

I know you're talking about MKM, but just on that note - the only thing I don't like about the Aadmount's is the noise when they slam into the scope. I'd rather have them lay flat like they do if I have to choose the tradeoff, but if he ever came up with something to deaden the noise/impact I'd upgrade. This is very easily mitigated by just holding them as you open them but I've been in the woods and let one slip to an unwanted "ping".
    Maybe some self adhesive velcro on the scope body ?

Reactions: BigPrince
    There is also rubber bump guards, like those for the back of pictures, or furniture (available at home depot).

But yeah, they do open with authority.

Hola everyone,

I've had several customers report their Aadland ones giving up on the hinge point and at least a few pics somewhere in my email. As well, and as mentioned, the spring is very stiff and makes for a noisy cap. Also requested was greater torque resistance, so there is a bolt underneath the tightening cap.

Thus, my cap design which of course is aesthetically similar because it's a scope cap that is tightened down, but again no button on the ocular so you have identical design on each end of the scope, reducing complexity and cost even when made from more pricey and durable material.

I definitely didn't mean to "shut up" @koshkin by sending him caps, I wanted to send him caps so he could physically feel and see the difference.

All this being said, I am 100% certain the quality difference in the machine used (SLS vs MJF for my caps) will be readily apparent with both side by side, as well the durability and flexibility difference in the caps as well (PA12 vs PA11 for my caps) whereas PA11 has significantly higher durability, ductility, impact strength, and elongation.

Yes, a Gen 2 is coming next year that will be silent and adjustable...featuring a few other popular requests from PRS and hunter-folk!

Reactions: chevy327
    Hola everyone,

I've had several customers report their Aadland ones giving up on the hinge point and at least a few pics somewhere in my email. As well, and as mentioned, the spring is very stiff and makes for a noisy cap. Also requested was greater torque resistance, so there is a bolt underneath the tightening cap.

Thus, my cap design which of course is aesthetically similar because it's a scope cap that is tightened down, but again no button on the ocular so you have identical design on each end of the scope, reducing complexity and cost even when made from more pricey and durable material.

I definitely didn't mean to "shut up" @koshkin by sending him caps, I wanted to send him caps so he could physically feel and see the difference.

All this being said, I am 100% certain the quality difference in the machine used (SLS vs MJF for my caps) will be readily apparent with both side by side, as well the durability and flexibility difference in the caps as well (PA12 vs PA11 for my caps) whereas PA11 has significantly higher durability, ductility, impact strength, and elongation.

Yes, a Gen 2 is coming next year that will be silent and adjustable...featuring a few other popular requests from PRS and hunter-folk!
    Fold flat or go home

Hola everyone,

Look forward to seeing the next Gen. I personally agree that the push button is an unnecessary complexity but that’s me......

I do own five of the Aadmounts and the only thing I dislike about them is the ocular push button gets in the way of the charging handles on an AR. I have them on sideways to remedy this.

My rifle was leaning against my tailgate, and the rifle fell when my door was shut. The scope made contact with the concrete, and the eyepiece broke.

DK

After a few days of this thread, best I can tell, the only recoded failures with Aadmount scope caps that so far have been identified are due to some sort of a fairly significant physical impact.

The other failures only seem to exist in Tyler's e-mail somewhere.

The apparent similarity between Aadmount caps and ARD to MKM caps and ARD is purely coincidental...

I bet the apparent similarity between MKM's Arca/Picatinny clamp on the Magneto mount to RRS' patented clamp is also purely coincidental...

Oddly, when I look at Tenebraex caps vs Aadmount caps, I do not get that eery feeling that there may have been some creative copying happening. Then again, I do not really know what is protected IP here and what is not and there are indeed only so many ways to make a scope cap. I do have generally good experience with both Aadmount and Tenebraex caps and use multiple sets of these on different products. To re-iterate: I have not used MKM caps, and probably won't, so I am going off of the pictures on MKM website. It is entirely possible I got it wrong.

There is a consensus though that Aadmount caps could be a little quieter when opening (I'll need to experiment with some sort of a soft pad for that; I do have a set of these on my hunting rifle).

ILya

Reactions: BigPrince
    After a few days of this thread, best I can tell, the only recoded failures with Aadmount scope caps that so far have been identified are due to some sort of a fairly significant physical impact.

The other failures only seem to exist in Tyler's e-mail somewhere.

The apparent similarity between Aadmount caps and ARD to MKM caps and ARD is purely coincidental...

I bet the apparent similarity between MKM's Arca/Picatinny clamp on the Magneto mount to RRS' patented clamp is also purely coincidental...

Oddly, when I look at Tenebraex caps vs Aadmount caps, I do not get that eery feeling that there may have been some creative copying happening. Then again, I do not really know what is protected IP here and what is not and there are indeed only so many ways to make a scope cap. I do have generally good experience with both Aadmount and Tenebraex caps and use multiple sets of these on different products. To re-iterate: I have not used MKM caps, and probably won't, so I am going off of the pictures on MKM website. It is entirely possible I got it wrong.

There is a consensus though that Aadmount caps could be a little quieter when opening (I'll need to experiment with some sort of a soft pad for that; I do have a set of these on my hunting rifle).

ILya

Arca/Pic clamp is a 3 piece design vs RRS 2 piece. I consulted them before making, but I appreciate you looking out for me :)

Woah!

@fdkay found a whole store devoted to bumpers.

Bet he also shops at Spatula City:

Reactions: Matno