• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

About to start loading 22lr

That’s a cool looking projectile! What’s the diameter of the portion behind the recessed part and in front of it?
Directly in front of the recess: .310"
In recess, at front of recess: .302"
Flat area of shank behind recessed area: .312

I did some work on an Aluminum bullet for a 30-06. We used a custom made cutter to reproduce a 168 HPBT that weighed only 48 grains. We were trying to make a high speed bullet for police snipers. Trying to reduce the ability to pass thru a lot of walls. Topped 4000fps and was accurate at 100 yds but went into the dirt soon after. We used 2011 round stock which is a copper alloy based. No leading was ever observed. Since your machining yours also you might look into something like this for a speedster round. Im gonna follow this. Great idea.

Good luck with the project! I tried something similar 40+ years ago. Biggest problem was blowing the rim when max pressures were exceeded.
Be forewarned, if the rifle has a detachable mag be careful about what's under it. Shrapnel sucks!!

Good luck with the project! I tried something similar 40+ years ago. Biggest problem was blowing the rim when max pressures were exceeded.
Be forewarned, if the rifle has a detachable mag be careful about what's under it. Shrapnel sucks!!
That’s the plan. Run up till it ruptures and work the load backwards.

I have 8000 never used match 22lr rimfire cases I was going to do the same thing a couple years ago but a health issue got in the way but we're shooting golf balls at 300 yards using reworked Savages & Aguila std vel ammo & having a ball.

Reactions: Geno C.
I believe you said you may start with Red Dot powder. Tightwad actually burns faster, and the flakes are smaller, which might be a good fit for the 22 cases? I’ve used a lot of it in 12 gauge Winchester hulls, they don’t leave you much room to work with, and I gain quite a bit with Tightwad. Burns very clean in 12 gauge, 22 IDK.

Your custom bullet looks a bit like the one in the attached pic. This one came out of a .303 Brit loaded in 1950.
Your project is really interesting. Hope you will keep us posted on the progress!
Kinda looks like a Lapua D166 with the rebated boat tail.

Reactions: Eddystone
Having the barrel setup for my quad now since I had problems. Still going to do more work with titewad but Winchester aa lite is also on my list

Last edited:
Reactions: Plinker 73
Also interested, keeping tabs on this.
Get it worked out and vudoo will likely have some rifles returning for modifications.

Only update I have is, I’m getting the barrel that I had on the Vudoo, setback and fitted to my Sako Quad. Had a little setback and went down one path to hopefully fix it and that didn’t work so I’m changing gears. Ordering a couple wmr mags so I’ll be mag feeding these as well.

Reactions: VA-Varminter
Many, many years ago, like back in the early 1960's, I read a magazine article about an experimental bolt action 22LR rifle that used a second chamber. Bar stock was dovetailed into the bottom of the barrel several inches ahead of the action and that bar stock was bored and chambered for a .22LR case. Then a plug was threaded in that acted as a bolt. The chamber was vented into the bore. I think they called it something like The Supercharger.

It has some foundation in work done in the 19th Century by James Richard Haskell.

A fired 22LR case was filled near the top with Powder (Unique?), and sealed with a drop of cellulose acetate cement (model airplane glue).

As the first round fired, the charge ignited the second casing, and the entire charge equaled two cases of powder. Numbers are difficult to remember from well over half a century ago, but it was a spectacular success.

Might have some application in this project.

During WWII the Germans built a Super Weapon, the V3, a cannon barrel that was aimed across the English Channel. It had right angled extensions off the main tube that almost looked like ladder pegs. Each of them was loaded with powder bags and served as sequential charges to continue boosting the projectile's velocity. I believe it was interrupted by the RAF, but knowing the Germans, I wouldn't be surprised if it would have worked.

Saddam attempted to duplicate it, possibly aimed at Israel.

And finally, look up the works of Dr. Gerald Bull. His participation in that Project Babylon was what got him assassinated by Mossad.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
Barrel is setup for the Sako now
9D4B20FB-545D-450D-ACC1-487E9F33D7C0.jpeg

I just ran across this thread. Very interesting. I am curious to see how it works out.

I’ve never seen any rule that says it has to be factory loaded ammo, so I think it will be legal
I know there is a wide range of type of 22LR competition (and governing bodies). Most are not "rimfire", but actually specify "22LR" (I think) with I assume the definition being used is the SAAMI definition of 22LR. I believe the SAAMI spec includes an OAL of around 1" +/-. The OAL of this solution looks to be much longer, so might the argument be that this is not 22LR? Also, I can imagine that some 22LR competition hinges upon the idea of "cheap and readily available" ammo. Plus to remove the need to handload. I can imagine that if something like this becomes viable, that some (maybe not all) organizations would adjust rules to prevent it.

But otherwise, I think it's very cool! I am interested in how it works out.

I could see how someone might want to go by saami oal but that would be a stretch in my mind. Guys that load for ftr are no where near the saami oal. A 22lr case is still used so it SHOULD fit into the definition of 22lr. If it someone complains and decides to make the rules more specific as to exclude this. Then so be it. Just because some people want to stick with what is generally considered normal doesn’t mean that should be the way it stays. I don’t have anything to do with any governing bodies in any of the shooting sports. I just shoot. I’m pushing the 22 past what most people consider possible for the sake of advancing the sport.

I think that your pressure curve peaks too early due to the solid bullet.
I would look for something quite a bit slower and move the pressure peak later in the curve.

How can you tell the pressure spike is to early or to sharp?
thanks

@Mike Casselton that’s why I moved to lil gun after I found Titewad was too fast. I made a bigger jump than normal to cover more ground with less ammo. I’m actually thinking this might be pretty close to where I want to be. Been testing pressure only so far. Im putting a scope back on now and I’ll sight it in and test accuracy and pressure like normal from here on out

@Geno C.
I think you're in the ballpark for powder.
I just looked at some data for the 22 CCM (CF version of the 22 mag, based on a heavily modified Hornet Case) and the fella used AA-9, AA-1680 and H-110.
The case capacity is larger, but you're also using a solid IIRC.
It's too bad the home piezo transducer system isn't still on the market. I think it was Oehler that sold them. That could shorten the curve to success.

H110 isn’t too far from where I’m at actually. I’m just about out of case capacity so I might have to take a step or 2 faster on the burn rate chart

Maybe you stated before, but where are you getting the primed cases? Are you pulling bullets to get them?

Do they sell direct to public? Their website makes it sound like they're geared to distributors.

But those neat little projectiles are the tricky part I get right

Currently these aren’t available to the public. The guys and badlands and myself wouldn’t want an unproven design out there. It’s one step at a time in the testing and evaluation. Once I’m certain that it doesn’t what I want it to do, then it’ll be available

Reactions: roostercogburn98