• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

About to start loading 22lr

What were you hoping to get?
Kylo Ren MORE Blank Template - Imgflip

I dont know why but I find this whole project hilarious in the best way and I cannot wait to see more development on it. The initial results look great!

Okay, so this is awesome. And brilliant.

A couple questions about how this might work on the Vudoo system @RAVAGE88
  1. What sort of over pressure margin is there in the Vudoo? Could we do something like what @THEIS is working on with center fire and just say screw it and go double SAAMI pressures safely and reliably? Given the action and barrel diameters and that 22LR spec is 24ksi, I would assume it’s probably fine, but best check with the expert!
  2. Would this feed out of the 22WMR magazines into a 22LR barrel?
Looking down the line further, I think this might be a decent way to dodge some of California’s assault weapons bullshit, if we finagle a useful rimfire AR.

I’ll answer as much of that as I can.

In order to run these from a mag from Vudoo, you’ll need a 22wmr/17hmr action. I haven’t verified whether or not it will work in that capacity though. It’s been tested in a 17hmr RPR and a RimX. Those feed perfectly so far.

As for running double the pressure as Saami spec, that’s not currently going to happen with the brass that’s being made. The brass is the weak link in this whole idea. I’ve blown quite a few cases in testing already.

Reactions: 338dude and gnochi
I’ll answer as much of that as I can.

In order to run these from a mag from Vudoo, you’ll need a 22wmr/17hmr action. I haven’t verified whether or not it will work in that capacity though. It’s been tested in a 17hmr RPR and a RimX. Those feed perfectly so far.

As for running double the pressure as Saami spec, that’s not currently going to happen with the brass that’s being made. The brass is the weak link in this whole idea. I’ve blown quite a few cases in testing already.

Would you mind posting a picture of a blown case?

Would you mind posting a picture of a blown case?
I only have one with the base still attached, I’ll find what bag it’s in and snap a pic. The case fails exactly where it would be expected, at the sharp angle coming from the rim to the body. Making that angle with metal forms a weak spot

Reactions: 338dude and gnochi
Are there any accuracy results at either shorter or longer ranges?
I haven’t tried to tune groups yet. Only finding the limits of the speed and system. It was shooting about 1-1.5” groups at 100 though. A tuner will work perfectly for this since you can’t really adjust seating depth. Once you find a charge that has a stable speed window, adjust the tuner to shrink groups and run it.

I only have one with the base still attached, I’ll find what bag it’s in and snap a pic. The case fails exactly where it would be expected, at the sharp angle coming from the rim to the body. Making that angle with metal forms a weak spot

I’m wondering how much help substantial reinforcement in that area of the action/barrel interface would be. If it’s a CRF action to actually support the rim with the bolt, and worry about bridging a couple thou between the extractor and barrel instead, perhaps?

Reactions: Geno C.
I haven’t tried to tune groups yet. Only finding the limits of the speed and system. It was shooting about 1-1.5” groups at 100 though. A tuner will work perfectly for this since you can’t really adjust seating depth. Once you find a charge that has a stable speed window, adjust the tuner to shrink groups and run it.
Will a tuner adjusted for, say, 100 yards, be effective without readjusting when shooting at other distances?

Damn fedarms is out of brass. Are there that many people buying it, or they just not making a bunch?

Geno - was the Rimx you tested the 22lr bolt or the HMR bolt? Does the RimX work with the 22LR bolt and the HMR mag? It looks like it would.

Put your name on the waitlist. I think they may do a run when the waitlist gets long enough.
Already on it, for brass and die. Should have done it a while back but my slow ass learns things the hard way most days

Wondering why AA9 is on the list for testing. Would think it’s too slow for .22lr case sizes, but looking forward to results.

• Haha
Reactions: Geno C. and Sigma
Wondering why AA9 is on the list for testing. Would think it’s too slow for .22lr case sizes, but looking forward to results.
For my particular bullet, a case full of LilGun isn’t enough to blow a case; Longshot will. A9 and N105 are right between those 2. With the newer bullet it’s going to drop pressure so it might turn out that I have to go faster than Longshot. Time will tell for that.

For my particular bullet, a case full of LilGun isn’t enough to blow a case; Longshot will. A9 and N105 are right between those 2. With the newer bullet it’s going to drop pressure so it might turn out that I have to go faster than Longshot. Time will tell for that.
Very interesting.

Guess you're in uncharted territory so traditional thinking has to be set aside.

This has been a really cool thread and I'm hoping to see a workable solution at the end of the journey.

Both LilGun and longshot are already workable. I’m testing these 2 other powders now to see what can be gained, if anything, from them. I like the safety margin that LilGun offers to someone that doesn’t want to wish blowing a case, but a little more speed would be a bonus

Did you get a chance to test the Accurate #9? How did it perform?

You’ve probably seen it, but CE recently posted preliminary load data with a bunch of different powders for their 32gn bullet. One interesting note is that they said Longshot seemed to be faster than the burn rate listings indicate.

I haven’t. We’ve been below freezing for the last few weeks and I really didn’t want extreme weather testing at first.

I did see their info and agree that longshot seem to shoot a little faster than its place on the chart would have one believe

@Geno C. have you ever used an app called Gordons reloading tool?
They have a 22 rimfire model in there and you could possibly use it to predict
velocities and pressures of your ammo.

I have found it very accurate with centerfire ammo but have no clue what it would show
with 22RF stuff.

If you want, post the case length, bullet length, bullet weight, cartridge over all length, and powder you used
I will plug the numbers in and see what the results are.

Reactions: Geno C.
@Geno C. have you ever used an app called Gordons reloading tool?
They have a 22 rimfire model in there and you could possibly use it to predict
velocities and pressures of your ammo.

I have found it very accurate with centerfire ammo but have no clue what it would show
with 22RF stuff.

If you want, post the case length, bullet length, bullet weight, cartridge over all length, and powder you used
I will plug the numbers in and see what the results are.
I forgot to get you that info... pm me and I’ll get it

Gonna chop and re thread every inch or just chop and speed test?

28” Bartlein on top for the fist gen bullet. Thanks to @Frank Green and crew
28” K&P on the bottom for the 2nd gen. Thanks to Ken Johnson.
Going to be chopping an inch at a time to find we’re peak speed is achieved. Sacrifice for science.View attachment 7612443
Holy shit...is someone actually going to experiment to find actual data....and not just regurgitate bad info from 1995.

Might as well do it with lead ammo also. Some supers and subs... man, I better get busy 😂

Yep. Summer is coming up quickly and you might run out of time.

Are you just going to test at the house so you can control temp and humidity better between cuts?

Yep. Summer is coming up quickly and you might run out of time.

Are you just going to test at the house so you can control temp and humidity better between cuts?
Yeah all speed testing will be done at the house to make it as consistent as possible. I’ll try and get as much into one day as I can also

Reactions: Glassaholic
Figured so. Otherwise, that would be a lot of driving.
Will you shoot it with a stock or just clamp it to a fixture?