• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

academy 22lr price gouging

donniedee

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2011
dripping springs texas
just got back from academy sports in austin on 183 they actually had 2 500rd cartons of 22lr winchester for guess how much!!!! $45.00 plus tax each!!!! THERE STILL SITTIN THERE THATS FREAKING CRAZY

Re: academy 22lr price gouging

Supply and demand.... It's how the free market works. I'm setting happy with 22lr cause I panicked early and beat the rush

Was at Peters indoor range and gunshop on Gratiot in Roseville, Mi this morning. They had a few 525 round boxes of CCI 22lr for $49.99. Just paid $20 a few days ago for the same thing somewhere else.
Politely said no thanks and walked out.

I'm not hearing much, if anything about any of the proposed bans including ammo or components. Other than a few whack job states like CT who are trying to tax ammo at 50% we should be in the clear when the panic buying dies down.

Hopefully I'm not being overly optimistic.

At gun show this weekend bulk 22 ammo 550 rounds sold for $45 and it all sold out.

223 was $.75 to $1.00 a round and it was selling like crazy.

Hopefully things will settle down soon.

It's incredibly hard to find any .22 around my way. I would have thought that would be the last stuff sitting on the shelves.
There's no way I'm paying current prices.

If I was out of ammo, I'd gladly pay that.

Maybe you didn't really want it.

went to academy yesterday they had plenty of all cal ammo behind there desk at customer service even 40gr winchester 22lr at 2.19 a box which is normal price BUT WOULD ONLY SELL YOU ONE LIL BOX PER DAY WTF

I think it was mid March that some .22lr ammo would be available over on the Midway USA site.

I expect that in this latest craze of ammo buying, some seller's did gouge the buyer. When these ammo panic buying situations come up, it's pretty much cut-throat from both sides of the counter. The seller wants to make more money to replace his stock, and the buyer wants to buy all the ammo before someone else beats him to it.

How do we stop this? Write your elected officials and remind them that if they tamper with the 2nd Amendment, they will be out of work come next election. They'll get the message and you'll see ammo back on the shelves without the price gouging.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not hearing much, if anything about any of the proposed bans including ammo or components. Other than a few whack job states like CT who are trying to tax ammo at 50% we should be in the clear when the panic buying dies down.

Hopefully I'm not being overly optimistic. </div></div>

You're spot on in your assessment. If everyone would tell the price gougers to take a flying f**k we'd still have availability at reasonable prices. Instead, in typical American fashion, everyone shits their pants and goes on a ridiculous buying rant. Oh well, same old story. Buncha folks getting rich off of stupidity.
As much disdain as I have for the situation however, I am trying to sell all of my "black guns" at the currently inflated prices. Think of me what you will, but a fools money in my pocket is better to me than in the pocket of said fool. I'll just replace them next year when dealers shelves are once again flooded with them and prices are back to the old normal.

.22 lr is normally the rd of choice when folks want to insure food on the table.
I believe the panic over other cals is the none shooting public, (other than guys like us who shoot all the time) finely woke up.
The rush will die down, but it's a good lesson to those who always drag their feet, and want to keep up with the jones over their family's safety.

and, look at it this way, if it was on the shelf for $20/500, EVERYONE would be buying it up. At least there is something on the shelf, albeit at a high price, so IF you really need some, you can get it. Let the demand die down and then buy again. If you are a regular shooter type, you should have plenty sitting back anyhow just watching all of this with a skeptical eye.

just be glad we are still a supply/demand market...oh, and I dont recall anyone whining about stuff being cheap...except the retailers that couldnt move it!

The Academy local to me is completely sold out of 22lr. Don't know what their prices are but when I went last wednesday there was none to be had. Wal-mart is sold out as well
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: donniedee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">went to academy yesterday they had plenty of all cal ammo behind there desk at customer service even 40gr winchester 22lr at 2.19 a box which is normal price BUT WOULD ONLY SELL YOU ONE LIL BOX PER DAY WTF </div></div>

Would you prefer your friendly neighborhood LGS show up at opening time and walk out with everything, then add a zero at the end and sell it at their shop?

You know I had a big long post all written up and the damn site went unreachable again.

It's not gouging when people are lining up to pay it. It is also not gouging because if the supply chain has no slack, then the prices have to rise to keep the gunstore open. I posted in the other thread, in this section, about price gouging, links to auctions for your viewing pleasure. It also provides you with a place to get all teh ammo you want to pay for, if you NEED some god damned ammo, and aren't just bitching, pissing,moaning, and whining, about your inability to buy cheap shit like you always have for time without end. We are fucking spoiled and it is entirely possible that people have woke up finally to actually realize the truth; THAT, that damned $20 box of ammunition in exchange for this worthless piece of paper, is one of the best investments that you can make with cash money. That is the truth I have started to realize. It is not just panic over the possible innability to obtain....oh no it is much bigger than that.

You fuckers running around like your head is on fire screaming about this shit are not helping. You are not Paul Revere. Everyone who has any brain already knows what is going on. We don't need 5 fucking new posts a week about the unavailability of (fill in the fucking blank).
SO
...PRETTY PLEASE
WITH SUGAR ON TOP
SHUT THE FUCK UP!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: donniedee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">price jump from 15-45 a box fy*k yeah THATS GOUGING </div></div>

No, it's called supply and demand.

Retards and cheap shooters that just aren't happy with market prices call it gouging.

In January of 2009, there were posts by people whining about gouging.
In January of 2013 there are posts by people whining about gouging.
In January of 2017 there will be posts by people whining about gouging.

big-baby_zpsbb530a32.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know I had a big long post all written up and the damn site went unreachable again.

It's not gouging when people are lining up to pay it. It is also not gouging because if the supply chain has no slack, then the prices have to rise to keep the gunstore open. I posted in the other thread, in this section, about price gouging, links to auctions for your viewing pleasure. It also provides you with a place to get all teh ammo you want to pay for, if you NEED some god damned ammo, and aren't just bitching, pissing,moaning, and whining, about your inability to buy cheap shit like you always have for time without end. We are fucking spoiled and it is entirely possible that people have woke up finally to actually realize the truth; THAT, that damned $20 box of ammunition in exchange for this worthless piece of paper, is one of the best investments that you can make with cash money. That is the truth I have started to realize. It is not just panic over the possible innability to obtain....oh no it is much bigger than that.

You fuckers running around like your head is on fire screaming about this shit are not helping. You are not Paul Revere. Everyone who has any brain already knows what is going on. We don't need 5 fucking new posts a week about the unavailability of (fill in the fucking blank).
SO
...PRETTY PLEASE
WITH SUGAR ON TOP
SHUT THE FUCK UP! </div></div>

Every so often, someone comes along and posts something on an internet forum that restores my faith in humanity.

Thank you! -this post made my day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know I had a big long post all written up and the damn site went unreachable again.

SO
...PRETTY PLEASE
WITH SUGAR ON TOP
If I could buy you a beer I would. Thank you.

our local Gander is already fully re-stocked with every type of ammo, except .22, .223, and 9mm. Let's not forget that this panic-buying has been going on for a grand total of maybe a month. within a month, the pinch on these three cals will have eased. within another month, the pinch will have eased further. if 6 months go buy and I still can't get a box of .22 shells, I'll come back and post on this thread "I was wrong." I, personally, am not interested in buying any more ammo than I actually need bc frankly I'm not even slightly worried that the supply will not catch back up with demand in a few months. Everybody will get tired of this in a little while, just like they did 4 years ago. the fact that ppl are complaining about there being ammo out there that's "too expensive" that they won't buy is proof.

The definition of what something is worth is how much someone is willing to pay you for it. I don't like the prices any more than anyone else, but the simple solution is do like me, lay off shooting for a while so you don't have to buy ammo at inflated prices. Other than the trappers and others that need ammo to make a living I seriously doubt that anyone has to have ammo right now. The reason prices are the way they are is because people are willing to fork over the cash because they're scarred. In a few months when the ban bills get stalled in congress and it becomes obvious that nothing is going to change things will return to normal. Unless you live in New York then you're screwed, sorry guys I feel for you, I really do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ultraman550</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know I had a big long post all written up and the damn site went unreachable again.

SO
...PRETTY PLEASE
WITH SUGAR ON TOP
If I could buy you a beer I would. Thank you. </div></div>

I think it's more simple than that. People just want to find some ammo for doing what they enjoy. Yeah, it's a free market but that doesn't mean people want to just buy whatever is out there at any price. I personally look around trying to find it people have found some online or in stores here on this site. I agree, if you don't want it, don't buy it. I for one will just keep looking and wait for the hype to die down. I can certainly afford it but it's not like the world is ending and I have to have it this second.

For me the problem is not so much the ridiculous prices, its the lack of availability. I really wish other vendors would do like Natchez did with the PMC they had in stock for about 2 hrs the other day and put a limit on how much you can buy. I've had to cut my range visits down dramatically because once I shoot what I've got I'm not sure if I can replace it, regardless of the cost.