• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Acceptable amount of wear in an upper?

ArcticFun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Wasilla, Alaska
Whats the acceptable amount of wear in an upper receiver? I was cleaning my M16A4 at the armory today and giving it a quick look over and discovered a groove in my upper that I'm positive isn't supposed to be there. It's about 1/2in long, 1/4in wide and 1/8in deep at the deepest point. The groove is just after the cutout that's next to the gas tube, the cutout that puts the bolt back into its forward position. How much more can that wear down before it wont function or start causing problems?

I can't tell you how it shoots as of right now, our BZO range is Wednesday so I can post a report then. Main focus right now is that groove cause I already know my throat is toast and there's dings and a nick in the crown.

Re: Acceptable amount of wear in an upper?

I've never actually seen an upper receiver "wear out" per say. I'm also not understanding exactly where this groove is. Is it in the channel that the charging handle rides in? And at any rate if the barrel throat is toast then your armorer needs to replace the barrel ASAP.

I'll get some the next time we go to the armory, probably tuesday/wednesday after the range.

Your cam pin has worn a groove in the side of your receiver. It's not uncommon. Usually stops wearing after a certain point.

Foul to fit, paint to match. It sounds cosmetic at this point.