• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AT-X

From the Jedi master himself

DB4FAC3E-CE43-4F9F-B9E5-7FC238EB5D88.jpeg

How did the range finder do?
Very impressed so far. I trued the Geoballistics profile to the AB solution on my Kestrel at an arbitrary distance, and it back filled everything correctly. Made a first round hit at 1,108 yards using the rangefinder, and compared various measurements to my Terraipn (all lined up).

Made it easy to range small/partially obscured plates at distance, and simplified things from a data flow perspective. I still haven't worked through using the wind features, but overall happy with the purchase.

Last edited:
Very impressed so far. I trued the Geoballistics profile to the AB solution on my Kestrel at an arbitrary distance, and it back filled everything correctly. Made a first round hit at 1,108 yards using the rangefinder, and compared various measurements to my Terraipn (all lined up).

Made it easy to range small/partially obscures plates at distance, and simplified things from a data flow perspective. I still haven't worked through using the wind features, but overall happy with the purchase.
Good deal.

Are you guys greasing the bolt body or lugs? Mine seems to feel smoother after only a few hundred cycles.

Last edited:
Are you guys greasing the bolt body or lugs? Mine seems to feel smoother after only a few hundred cycles.
I definitely grease the lugs. Generally speaking with rifles I grease anywhere there is metal on metal contact with significant pressure. Exterior bolt body stays dry.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
I definitely grease the lugs. Generally speaking with rifles I grease anywhere there is metal on metal contact with significant pressure. Exterior bolt body stays dry.

I have the competition trigger in my AT (not an AT-X) set at 1.75lb. Even lightly greasing the lugs was causing the trigger to foul up, the AT gunsmith advised to run the bolt dry even said that was in the AI manual. I have run my bolt dry since then and seems to run without any problem. I do grease the lugs on all my other rifles.

• Wow
I have the competition trigger in my AT (not an AT-X) set at 1.75lb. Even lightly greasing the lugs was causing the trigger to foul up, the AT gunsmith advised to run the bolt dry even said that was in the AI manual. I have run my bolt dry since then and seems to run without any problem. I do grease the lugs on all my other rifles.
I wonder how that was fouling up the trigger, I haven't experienced any trigger issues over several thousand rounds now. Just checked the manual and it says lightly lubricate with "CLP oil or similar". I use some m-pro grease on all my bolts, just what I have. I've seen some ruined bolts (one on a rifle I bought unfortunately) due to galling on the lugs and I'm pretty committed to a bit of grease because of it.

I wonder how that was fouling up the trigger, I haven't experienced any trigger issues over several thousand rounds now. Just checked the manual and it says lightly lubricate with "CLP oil or similar". I use some m-pro grease on all my bolts, just what I have. I've seen some ruined bolts (one on a rifle I bought unfortunately) due to galling on the lugs and I'm pretty committed to a bit of grease because of it.
Got any pics of the galling on the lugs? Just curious.

Got any pics of the galling on the lugs? Just curious.
Never on an AI, and I don't have pics of the rifle I bought that had galled lugs, that was several years ago. Here is a bolt from a rifle I passed on a few months ago though (I always check the lugs now)...
IMG_20231009_212813.jpg

• Wow
I did see that in the manual for several AI rifles. Despite reading that I usually go pretty crazy with grease putting a heavy coat on everything that rubs including the bolt handle base, internals, etc. and was wondered if it would cause any problems.

It doesn't take much to clog up the trigger, at a competition I had to clear it with lighter fluid. After that and heading the advise the AI gunsmith had previously given me I decided to run the bolt dry. As above, not had any issues, even had a couple of successful competitions.

I recently picked up an AT-X and I'm just wondering, how much does the action break in/smooth out? I've got a 2015 AT that maybe has 1k rounds on it and it's night and day, even after greasing everything (yes I took the bolt apart) and dry firing 500 times or so. I'm sure a lot of you own other AIs, does the AT-X eventually break in to that point? Or maybe yours was great out of the box let me know if that was the case too.

I recently picked up an AT-X and I'm just wondering, how much does the action break in/smooth out? I've got a 2015 AT that maybe has 1k rounds on it and it's night and day, even after greasing everything (yes I took the bolt apart) and dry firing 500 times or so. I'm sure a lot of you own other AIs, does the AT-X eventually break in to that point? Or maybe yours was great out of the box let me know if that was the case too.
I dry-fired mine 1,000 times with a dry bolt and it smoothed out a little.

My 2013 AT action was significantly smoother my ATX action. Not sure what changed, different tolerances, tooling, idk. My ATX action has probably been cycled 5k times and I think it's loosened up a bit but not a ton. I bought a new spare bolt a few weeks ago and it is definitely stiffer/less smooth than my existing bolt with 5k or so cycles so I'd say they do "break in" but not as much as we'd maybe like.

Smoothest 60 degree action I've ever felt is the GAP Tempest by a LONG shot.

Reactions: BurtG
The AT-X zipper sound is a bit higher pitch than an RPR's, it's falsetto RPR.

Reactions: D_Lamz
Ive noticed more machine marks on my atx bolt vs my old AT. AT was slick as shit

Reactions: BurtG
If the complaint is with the initial opening of the bolt after a shot, make sure you have your thumb on top of the chassis right behind the bolt.

Then just make an upward motion with your hand shaped like a knife.

Basically the thumb presses down and the hand/fingers rotate up.

This will keep the rifle almost complete still and the bolt will pop up and open easily.

Most people we see complaining are just grabbing the bolt knob. Which can feel much stiffer and also rotate the rifle.

If the complaint is with the initial opening of the bolt after a shot, make sure you have your thumb on top of the chassis right behind the bolt.

Then just make an upward motion with your hand shaped like a knife.

Basically the thumb presses down and the hand/fingers rotate up.

This will keep the rifle almost complete still and the bolt will pop up and open easily.

Most people we see complaining are just grabbing the bolt knob. Which can feel much stiffer and also rotate the rifle.

I wasn't so much complaining about how an AI compares to other actions for bolt lift, it's that my other AI has a much better feel and also a smoother, lighter bolt lift with not many rounds on it. Just wanted to see if that matched other owners experience.

I wasn't so much complaining about how an AI compares to other actions for bolt lift, it's that my other AI has a much better feel and also a smoother, lighter bolt lift with not many rounds on it. Just wanted to see if that matched other owners experience.

I've never had an AI that I felt was that much worse than another. And have had or seen many.

But, I've heard similar from people. So can only guess there is some action to action variance in something.

I've never had an AI that I felt was that much worse than another. And have had or seen many.

But, I've heard similar from people. So can only guess there is some action to action variance in something.
I have two. Not absolutely precise but I ran a piece of electrical tape under the bolt knobs and then to a hanging scale. On my AE MkIII (the one with the AW type bolt) I could lift the bolt without the scale breaking 6 pounds and was able to do so smoothly enough that it stayed right around that weight for whole lift.

The AT-X was over 8 pounds and it was no where near as smooth and consistent in resistance from start to finish. The AE is much older but I would say there is definitely a perceptable and measureable difference. Perhaps with more bolt cycles they will feel more alike.

I compared my 22 ATX to my 15 AT. I thought initially my ATX was heavier. Compared side by side I think they’re the same. I’ve never had an issue with my AT for “my use”. I certainly don’t think the ATX will give me any issues. My AXMC was the same.

I think it’s just the design of the action. Your not getting the best custom action feel. But depending on your use it may or may not be an issue

I find my AIAT the best rifle I’ve ever used/owned. I see no reason for my uses the ATX won’t be the same

I primarily shoot steel and crop damage (deer hunting).

I could see if shooting off barricades all the time the bolt lift may be an issue. A 90° throw may be a bit smoother

I compared my 22 ATX to my 15 AT. I thought initially my ATX was heavier. Compared side by side I think they’re the same. I’ve never had an issue with my AT for “my use”. I certainly don’t think the ATX will give me any issues. My AXMC was the same.

I think it’s just the design of the action. Your not getting the best custom action feel. But depending on your use it may or may not be an issue

I find my AIAT the best rifle I’ve ever used/owned. I see no reason for my uses the ATX won’t be the same

I primarily shoot steel and crop damage (deer hunting).

I could see if shooting off barricades all the time the bolt lift may be an issue. A 90° throw may be a bit smoother
I put my AT in the ATX chassis, best of both worlds…

Smoothest 60 degree action I've ever felt is the GAP Tempest by a LONG shot.
My terminus 223 is night and day compared to AI. Like compared a rubber band to a ratchet strap.

And now that y’all say it. My axsa was a lot smoother too

This is disappointing that they aren’t smooth as I have basically convinced myself to buy one at the current sale. All of my AI’s (like 15-20) have been super smooth. The 6 lug ones were a little notchy putting the bolt into battery compared to the 3 lugs but running them like they’re meant to be I never noticed it, they were all very smooth though.

Are these coated inside the action or bolt? Are they not nitrided?

Yea my AX, AT and AT-LE were all very acceptable. These reports of the AT-X not being in the same class are disheartening.

This is disappointing that they aren’t smooth as I have basically convinced myself to buy one at the current sale. All of my AI’s (like 15-20) have been super smooth. The 6 lug ones were a little notchy putting the bolt into battery compared to the 3 lugs but running them like they’re meant to be I never noticed it, they were all very smooth though.

Are these coated inside the action or bolt? Are they not nitrided?
What exactly are you referring to when you say “smooth”? I don’t think the bolt travel or anything else really isn’t smooth…. on this ATX anyways

If you drop the firing pin and operate the bolt they have more effort to lift the bolt then some actions. But all 3 AI’s I’ve had seemed the same

I certainly wouldn’t call this a complete letdown by any means. Trigger seems great to

I put Hoppes No 9 Gun Grease on all six (6) lugs, bolt body, base of the handle where it makes contact with the action, and bottom of the firing pin shroud. Did this on my AT, AX, and ATX. All slick as shit. It lasts, depending on conditions, maybe 500-1000 rounds, before I clean and reapply. Zero issues with it gunking up any of the triggers.

I have a buddy, cough cough, @jwood1284, who doesn’t do this and it is noticeable between our two actions.

Reactions: Huskydriver
What exactly are you referring to when you say “smooth”? I don’t think the bolt travel or anything else really isn’t smooth…. on this ATX anyways

If you drop the firing pin and operate the bolt they have more effort to lift the bolt then some actions. But all 3 AI’s I’ve had seemed the same

I certainly wouldn’t call this a complete letdown by any means. Trigger seems great to

The bolt operation being smooth. AI’s all have heavier bolt lift than most actions, I’m very familiar with that and it’s a non issue to me. One person in this thread said their ATX has a higher pitch zipper sound than their RPR.

Several people in this thread are saying they’re not smooth. My buddy who has an AT-X also says it’s not smooth like his AXSA was that uses the same bolt and lug design.

Reactions: hafejd30
Grease gets gummy in wet / cold / snow etc.

Attracts dust in dry

Have had two field matches where it has absolutely poured on us. No issues with the action getting gummy.

It does attract dust, but it has to be extremely dry and windy. Yet to have an issue with it. Arena Training Center in Blakely GA comes to mind, always have a layer of moon like red dust on it after two day field matches. But again, nothing that doesn’t just wipe off.

Mine is as smooth as any AI I’ve felt. And I don’t do shit to it other than clean, oil the bolt, and wipe it dry.

I dry cycled it probably 1k times when I first got it. There’s definitely no perceptible zipper noise. I’ll clean it every couple hundred rounds or as needed. I’ve never cleaned my trigger assembly and it looks the same as the day I got it.

I guess it’s possible that it could be sample variance. And I will say that all of my on-hand experience has only been with the Gen 1/very early Gen 2 guns. But I do find it odd that there are only recent reports of any of these smoothness/manipulation issues.

Reactions: Rory_Fritz
Mine is as smooth as any AI I’ve felt. And I don’t do shit to it other than clean, oil the bolt, and wipe it dry.

I dry cycled it probably 1k times when I first got it. There’s definitely no perceptible zipper noise. I’ll clean it every couple hundred rounds or as needed. I’ve never cleaned my trigger assembly and it looks the same as the day I got it.

I guess it’s possible that it could be sample variance. And I will say that all of my on-hand experience has only been with the Gen 1/very early Gen 2 guns. But I do find it odd that there are only recent reports of any of these smoothness/manipulation issues.

Yeah the complaints do seem recent. I’ve always cycled the shit out of mine dry and ran the first few hundred rounds dry and then used tetra grease or something else on the lugs and some oil on the bolt body and bolt lug raceway and they were slick as shit.

Every AT-X I’ve played with has felt worse than the AXSA I sold to @Kiba. Varying degrees of worse than, but all worse than. I’m not talking about how heavy an AI’s bolt lift is, I’m familiar, but the AT-X is just..worse.

All have been in the last year, but the owners had to have had them for at least a little while.

Have had two field matches where it has absolutely poured on us. No issues with the action getting gummy.

It does attract dust, but it has to be extremely dry and windy. Yet to have an issue with it. Arena Training Center in Blakely GA comes to mind, always have a layer of moon like red dust on it after two day field matches. But again, nothing that doesn’t just wipe off.

I’ve always ran grease and oil and never had an issue.

Reactions: blbennett1288
For everyone saying they’re smooth or not what year rifles we talking?

Mines a 22 and seems normal

I know you weren't asking me but since I was using the term as well by smooth I mean consistent pressure required throughout lift and this is how I am measuring it:

Here is my AE, I can keep the scale between 5.3 and 5.7 pounds while lifting the handle.

Here is my AT-X. The force required goes over 8 pounds at one point and is noticeably less consistent which translates to less smoothness.

I'm sure this isn't precise and a lot of the variation is my fault but I find the older model a bit better. Not the end of the world but some people are saying their AT-Xs feel the exact same as their other AIs and I guess that isn't the case for everyone.

FWIW my Tikka CTR in 6.5cm with 60 or 70° lift is almost identical to the AE at right around 5.5 pounds throughout.

Last edited:
I know you weren't asking me but since I was using the term as well by smooth I mean consistent pressure required throughout lift and this is how I am measuring it:

Here is my AE, I can keep the scale between 5.3 and 5.7 pounds while lifting the handle.

Here is my AT-X. The force required varies and is goes over 8 pounds at one point and is noticeably less consistent.

While I'm sure this isn't precise and a lot of the variation is my fault I find the older model to be measurably better.

This I can see. I must have misunderstood. My thought is he’s talking the bolt travel. My Ruger sounds like a zipper but on the travel. Lift on my Ruger is horrendous so I can see that being better than an AI