• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AT-X

My post about the zipper sound was tongue in cheek, for all of the ball busting Ruger owners have gotten.

I paid the entry fee so I decided to have some fun. I just went and checked, yes the AI AT-X does indeed make a zipper sound that is louder/more pronounced than my RPR with about 2300 rounds through it. But, that AT-X I have yet to shoot. I was waiting on AINA's response about the bolt body and shroud having a leading number one digit off from the action's serial number. The other one, that now has 56 rounds through it is nice and quiet.

It also stacked the leftovers from my RPR Long Range Prone ammo into a .53 moa hole while I was doing some break-in. I am interested to see what the difference between clean bore and fouled settle down to. Right now they are about as close together as I shoot.

I am pleased and would buy again. Just don't release the short forended AT-X quite yet.

• Wow
Reactions: MarinePMI
This I can see. I must have misunderstood. My thought is he’s talking the bolt travel. My Ruger sounds like a zipper but on the travel. Lift on my Ruger is horrendous so I can see that being better than an AI
I am probably the one who misunderstood. When someone says throw I never know if it's lift or travel or both.

Finally had a chance to shoot after a hiatus.

I take back what I said. At x is pretty slick with hornady one shot on bolt. At least as smooth as my higher round count axsa I had

258D0892-2B8A-476F-BA41-40D406F3828C.jpeg

I know you weren't asking me but since I was using the term as well by smooth I mean consistent pressure required throughout lift and this is how I am measuring it:

Here is my AE, I can keep the scale between 5.3 and 5.7 pounds while lifting the handle.

Here is my AT-X. The force required goes over 8 pounds at one point and is noticeably less consistent which translates to less smoothness.

I'm sure this isn't precise and a lot of the variation is my fault but I find the older model a bit better. Not the end of the world but some people are saying their AT-Xs feel the exact same as their other AIs and I guess that isn't the case for everyone.

FWIW my Tikka CTR in 6.5cm with 60 or 70° lift is almost identical to the AE at right around 5.5 pounds throughout.

Doing the same test with trigger pull gauge

15 AT- 9 lbs
22 ATX- 12 lbs

As far as the bolt running back and forth both are silky smooth and definitely not Ruger rough

Last edited:
Is the ball head at the balance point of that setup? If so what is the barrel contour, caliber and length?
You made me doubt myself lol

5C374EA3-CFE9-4250-895B-00533FDD78F5.jpeg

E00CA974-5498-42D7-805F-7556B0EDB238.jpeg

18.5” 6,5cm
Think it’s a factory barrel I had cut down. But slightly lighter contour than most I have.
Gen 1 338 ultra cb can

Zco420 spuhr
Custom kac/yhm bag rider

Has anyone switched out the firing pin spring for a lighter version ?

View attachment 8248942

View attachment 8248943

18.5” 6,5cm
Think it’s a factory barrel I had cut down. But slightly lighter contour than most I have.
Gen 1 338 ultra cb can

Zco420 spuhr
Custom kac/yhm bag rider

Thanks. These things must be significantly lighter in the rear and lighter overall than previous AI rifles.

Reactions: BurtG

View attachment 8248942

View attachment 8248943

18.5” 6,5cm
Gen 1 338 ultra cb can

Zco420 spuhr
Custom kac/yhm bag rider
Nice setup. What does it weigh like that?

In my earlier posts mentioning bolt lift I hope I am not giving the impression I that I don't like the rifle or that I am not an AI fan. Yes the bolt could be a bit lighter but with a good bipod and/or good position it is pretty much unnoticeable.

They have a few quirks but I think they are overall a very solid rifle.

Last edited:
I put Hoppes No 9 Gun Grease on all six (6) lugs, bolt body, base of the handle where it makes contact with the action, and bottom of the firing pin shroud. Did this on my AT, AX, and ATX. All slick as shit. It lasts, depending on conditions, maybe 500-1000 rounds, before I clean and reapply. Zero issues with it gunking up any of the triggers.

I have a buddy, cough cough, @jwood1284, who doesn’t do this and it is noticeable between our two actions.
Hey now! I do lube my shit. I use Lucas gun oil on the bolt body, and tw25b grease on the cocking ramp.

• Haha
Reactions: blbennett1288
Does anyone have an AT-X with a Proof CF 24” 6.5 or 20” 308 barrel? If so what’s the weight and how does it balance
I have one that I think is 24 in. I can measure the length when I get home. In my AT-X, with a s&b 5-25, Atlas bipod, and titanium suppressor, I think it was 19 lb.

Looks like winners of the NASTI comp at Hat Creek were using ATX and possibly AXSR

View attachment 8249716

That AT-X had to have had a custom firing pin spring to make the bolt lift lighter, with possible lapped lugs to make that action buttery smooth when cycled…
🥴🤨🤣

So black versions are more accurate and have a lighter bolt lift? Maybe I should get a black one instead of a dark earth one.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an AT-X with a Proof CF 24” 6.5 or 20” 308 barrel? If so what’s the weight and how does it balance
Gen 3 AT-X without any bridge or folder mechanism, with a proof 24" 6.5cm barrel with no muzzle device and with an empty mag inserted: 11lb 4.2oz

Balance point is front edge of mag well.

Reactions: IsaacL and NHPiper
Would you guys still choose an ATX over the MPA PMR with the coup de grace action for competing? Not concerned about money, just wondering which rifle is going to reign supreme.

Would you guys still choose an ATX over the MPA PMR with the coup de grace action for competing? Not concerned about money, just wondering which rifle is going to reign supreme.

People win matches with both and neither is going to make anyone a better shooter or decide the outcome if the same person decided to shoot one or the other that day.

The advantage to the AI’s is the QC barrel and the double stack mags that run flawlessly. Other than that you can drop a custom in an ATX AICS and have a rifle that for all intents and purposes is functionally indifferent as far as a match rifle goes.

If you like AI’s or what one, buy one and run it and vise versa. There’s no right or wrong answer.

People win matches with both and neither is going to make anyone a better shooter or decide the outcome if the same person decided to shoot one or the other that day.

The advantage to the AI’s is the QC barrel and the double stack mags that run flawlessly. Other than that you can drop a custom in an ATX AICS and have a rifle that for all intents and purposes is functionally indifferent as far as a match rifle goes.

If you like AI’s or what one, buy one and run it and vise versa. There’s no right or wrong answer.

Appreciate the feedback. AI it is.

Reactions: 3rdfocal

Definitely going to fall on shooter abilities there.

I went AI because I always wanted one. That was my sole reason for purchase.

would love to see a thin slip on neoprene rail cover that could be easily pulled like they make for picatinny rails

Hopefully someone makes one

Like you said ideas soft enough to slip on off from side

I put an factory 6.5 cm barrel that Preston sold me that had been cut down to 18". It hadn't been shot yet.

Rounds 41-50 put 10x rounds just over a 0.5" hole at 100yds. Velocity was 2647fps with an SD of 6!

Load was 41.8gr H4350, Fed Large Rifle Primer, Hornady Brass, 140ELDM.

Attachments

• PXL_20231020_014559980.jpg
    PXL_20231020_014559980.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 156
  • PXL_20231020_142820572.jpg
    PXL_20231020_142820572.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 126
  • PXL_20231020_141540113.jpg
    PXL_20231020_141540113.jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 124
Has anyone gotten any gen 3’s with 4 groove hawk hills? I’m just wondering if they even exist. I would much prefer a HH over a Bartlein.
I just picked up a new AT-X from my dealer last night. I’ll double check but it looks like a 4 groove. Feel free to hmu. I’ll be swapping it out this weekend for a proof carbon.

Curious as to why the preference for HH over the Bartlein.

Last edited:
I did it; placed my order with Eurooptic when i saw 1000.00 off and taxes paid. Looking to order hinge and long forearm this weekend. 6cm. Havent been this excited on a rifle for years.

What is everyone using on magnification? I know it is a loaded question; i have a 4-16 milxt sitting here i am probably gonna start with it and see if i need more magnification at the property where i can shoot up to 1000

I did it; placed my order with Eurooptic when i saw 1000.00 off and taxes paid. Looking to order hinge and long forearm this weekend. 6cm. Havent been this excited on a rifle for years.

What is everyone using on magnification? I know it is a loaded question; i have a 4-16 milxt sitting here i am probably gonna start with it and see if i need more magnification at the property where i can shoot up to 1000
Depends what you want to do. If sticking with NF you can’t go wrong with the 7-35. Would be about a $1000 upgrade if you sold or traded your 4-16. For a paper puncher you can never go wrong with more magnification. Rarely do you need 4-8 power. But upper end of 25-40, although not necessarily used on full power, is nice to have when you want it

I don’t think you’ll be happy with the 4-16 for 1k. I’ve had several and they’re great gas gun or out to 500 yard hunting style optics. But the magnification left me wanting more for longer ranges

Reactions: xxflyingturtlexx
Depends what you want to do. If sticking with NF you can’t go wrong with the 7-35. Would be about a $1000 upgrade if you sold or traded your 4-16. For a paper puncher you can never go wrong with more magnification. Rarely do you need 4-8 power. But upper end of 25-40, although not necessarily used on full power, is nice to have when you want it

I don’t think you’ll be happy with the 4-16 for 1k. I’ve had several and they’re great gas gun or out to 500 yard hunting style optics. But the magnification left me wanting more for longer ranges
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Funny you mentioned gas guns, i use the 4-16 on gas guns, and my 223 proof rifle.

I will shop for a higher magnification i guess😂

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Funny you mentioned gas guns, i use the 4-16 on gas guns, and my 223 proof rifle.

I will shop for a higher magnification i guess😂
What you want to spend is the question. Athlon Cronus, Burris XTRIII, NF 7-35, ZCO 527 or 840 etc

That 4-16 is a great optic and one of my favorite designs and reticles. It has a place but for a 1,000 yard precision rifle in my opinion isn’t it

Magnification doesn’t help when mirage kicks up.

I get along fine with a 420. Hit the 10x6 ipsc at 940 at a comp. also a wolf target at 12 or 1400.

Prolly wasn’t even at full power.

But yeah if I didn’t use it with clip ons / for hunting I’d be using a 527 for sure

What you want to spend is the question. Athlon Cronus, Burris XTRIII, NF 7-35, ZCO 527 or 840 etc

That 4-16 is a great optic and one of my favorite designs and reticles. It has a place but for a 1,000 yard precision rifle in my opinion isn’t it
I have been using the mil-xt reticle for a few years now so i feel comfortable. I do not mind zco with a t3 but likely will be sticking to an nf

I love the S&B PMII 5-25 with a T3 or H59 reticle. I find the T3 is faster on a gas gun with the H59 fitting bolt guns better.

I rarely shoot above 15x even out to 1100, but that leaves you in the middle of the zoom range with a lot more light transmission.

Magnification doesn’t help when mirage kicks up.

I get along fine with a 420. Hit the 10x6 ipsc at 940 at a comp. also a wolf target at 12 or 1400.

Prolly wasn’t even at full power.

But yeah if I didn’t use it with clip ons / for hunting I’d be using a 527 for sure
I hit 600-700 with 16x staying around 12x with my gas gun very comfortably; and usually i am never on the higher end of the magnification, maybe 5-25? I don’t know

Reactions: BurtG
I have been using the mil-xt reticle for a few years now so i feel comfortable. I do not mind zco with a t3 but likely will be sticking to an nf
I own both the 7-35 atacr and ZCO 527. I think you’d be happy with either. That Mil XT is my favorite reticle

If you get a NF atacr just get the 7-35. The 5-25 is the worst glass of the atacr line. According to those who owned them both. I’ve owned all but the 5-25