• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AX & AX AICS Photos

Re: Accuracy International AX & AX AICS Photos

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FromMyColdDeadHa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been reading some threads and I'm kind of puzzled by the AX and the AX AICS in particular.

What does the AX platform bring to the non-MIL/LEO shooter that shoots mainly long range competitions? Is the front rail best used for adding night vision and laser targeting modules?

I'm thinking specifically of the AX AICS chassis.

Dang that scope is getting high off the bore. Is it Scout1505 that had to use higher rings when going from an AI AICS to the AX AICS? I guess the front rail doesn't allow as low of mounting of scopes as the AI version?

The AX is heavier also too isn't it?

The AX is definately looking really cool as is the Remington version, I'm just wondering if for the non-MIL/LEO shooter if the benefits outweigh the downsides. </div></div>

I think I can shed some light here as I've had the regular AICS and now the AX chassis as well as having had quite a few other bolt rifles.

As with all the AI products, they are geared toward military and LEO use. They are built like tanks and can take the abuse given during operations. All the while asking "is that all you got?".

The front rail system of the AX AICS is fully modular. I can change sling positions along the rail, bipod position along the rail and add night vision if I ever win the lottery and can afford it.

The only reason I had to swap to higher rings was because of the scope caps the Premier Heritage 3-15x50 uses. If it weren't for the caps, standard 1 inch rings would have been just fine. However, due to the caps, I needed rings that are about 1.25" high to allow clearance. If there weren't those lips at the end of the bell housing to allow for those fancy scope caps to attach, it would have fit just fine. I would say any 50mm objective would be fine on the AX chassis with 1 inch tall rings if you're using regular old butler creek caps. Any larger objective and you'll definitely need higher rings.

That said, my sight height now is 2.25 inches above the centerline of the bore. Not all that bad in the grand scheme of things. Where sight height gets you is if the scope is canted and not directly above the bore. If that were the case it would throw your rounds off target by increasing amounts the further away your target is. The AX chassis comes with an adjustable comb, so you can raise the height as needed which is crucial for me since I had to get taller rings.

Now to compare the AX chassis with the last rifle I had, a FN SPR on a McMillan A5 stock. Both weight roughly the same. My old FN weighed in at about 17.5lbs with everything (suppressor, bipod, scope, etc). Compare that to the AX chassis rig I’m shooting now which weighs in at about 18.4lbs, respectively. Weight isn’t too much of an issue for me. I like it. The weight helps with muzzle hop and perceived recoil.

I hope I answered the questions you had. Let me know if you need insight on anything else concerning the chassis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aussie700P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm starting to think that as my NXS currently is only 2.5 mm off my barrel that this stock won't work for me as a AICS. I might have to stick with the older models </div></div>

Which Nightforce do you have? How big is the objective lens? What size rings are you using now?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1505scouts</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aussie700P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm starting to think that as my NXS currently is only 2.5 mm off my barrel that this stock won't work for me as a AICS. I might have to stick with the older models </div></div>
Which Nightforce do you have? How big is the objective lens? What size rings are you using now?</div></div>

5.5-22x56mm with low rings - not sure of exact measurements etc but I figure just looking at your photos from the other thread that it won't make it with that extra steel between it and the barrel! But your rings are 34mm though hmm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aussie700P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5.5-22x56mm with low rings - not sure of exact measurements etc but I figure just looking at your photos from the other thread that it won't make it with that extra steel between it and the barrel! But your rings are 34mm though hmm </div></div>

Tube diameter doesn't really matter. It's the ring height that counts. You need to measure it from the center line of the tube on the scope to the top of the rail that the rings mount to.

Your 56mm objective lens would most definitely need rings that are at least 1.25 inches tall for your Nightforce to mount properly on the AX chassis.

Ah well. There you go. Im in bed so didn want to jump out to take measurements. Just looking up the details, though, and the low rings are .885.

I have another spare pair of 1.125s lying around but don't think I'd raise the rings for the sake of a stock

Maybe the new Eberlestock chassis will fill the bill.. looks like they have the 1.125 rings in the photos too sadly though.. just can't win
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aussie700P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah well. There you go. Im in bed so didn want to jump out to take measurements. Just looking up the details, though, and the low rings are .885.

I have another spare pair of 1.125s lying around but don't think I'd raise the rings for the sake of a stock

Maybe the new Eberlestock chassis will fill the bill.. looks like they have the 1.125 rings in the photos too sadly though.. just can't win
frown.gif
</div></div>

I saw the Eberlestock chassis on their website. If they make chassis like they do their packs, it should be a good one. I've got one of their Gunslinger II packs and love it.

If you go with any manufacturer's chassis system, be it AI, Remington, Eberlestock, etc., You'll have to take into account if they have a barrel shroud as the bell housing around the objective lens will most likely touch if you don't have tall enough rings.

Of course, you can always use a McMillan and not have to worry about all that if that floats your boat too!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aussie700P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Old school AICS 1.5 it is then! </div></div>

Get a 2.0 instead. It's a pain in the arse to have to take the cheek piece out every time you want to remove the bolt
smile.gif

Tell the Australian Government that lol
Folding stocks are banned here.. good old paranoia.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aussie700P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell the Australian Government that lol
Folding stocks are banned here.. good old paranoia. </div></div>

Good gosh! That's right, they are evil and of the devil.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the AX AICS has the option of a fixed stock. I believe it only comes collapsible. At least for now. If that's the case, the AX isn't even an option for you at this time.

You are correct. I've no clue if that will be changed or not for those in areas that disallow folding stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1505scouts</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aussie700P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah well. There you go. Im in bed so didn want to jump out to take measurements. Just looking up the details, though, and the low rings are .885.

frown.gif
</div></div>

I saw the Eberlestock chassis on their website. If they make chassis like they do their packs, it should be a good one. I've got one of their Gunslinger II packs and love it.

If you go with any manufacturer's chassis system, be it AI, Remington, Eberlestock, etc., You'll have to take into account if they have a barrel shroud as the bell housing around the objective lens will most likely touch if you don't have tall enough rings.

Of course, you can always use a McMillan and not have to worry about all that if that floats your boat too!
smile.gif
</div></div>

The first thing that comes to mind about the Eberlestock, however, is that it's ultimately designed to be (as I understand it) a very lightweight chassis system. The prototypes at SHOT were hovering in the 2-3 pound range, as I recall, and they felt featherlight. Great for some applications, but probably not what most people on here are thinking of when they're looking for a chassis system for long range shooting and competition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1505scouts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I hope I answered the questions you had. Let me know if you need insight on anything else concerning the chassis.
</div></div>

Thanks for the quick response and your informed insights. I also have a Premier 3-15x50 with those caps, so that is some good intel. I think that I'll look on the Exchange for someone dumping a AI AICS when they buy a an AX. I just don't think I need and AX, but they are so cool, I think there might be a bunch of AICS stocks for sale soon...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Colonel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the AX AICS has the option of a fixed stock. I believe it only comes collapsible. At least for now. If that's the case, the AX isn't even an option for you at this time. </div></div>

True, but if they offer the other AICS stock in a fixed configuration then there is a chance they'll do the same with this one. No harm in weighting the pros and cons. Besides, a stock can be converted to fixed but what a crappy exercise

Aussie700P, PM sent to you brother. I'm organising a group order for fixed stock AICS AX stocks to Australia at the moment... Anyone else keen, let me know.

Are any of the AX AICS that accept the surgeon XL action available yet?

tax time is build time...
smile.gif

Here I am thinking this thread was going to filled with 4 pages of AX and AICS AX PHOTOS...stupid me
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
AX_AICS_DE_RightRear.jpg
</div></div>

Bringing back an old thread, sorry in advance.

Im going to be purchasing an AX chassis and putting a still tac300 action into it. Im looking for a Picatinny rail that will fit the action and chassis system. I like the full length rails on the regualar AX but also like the rail seen in this photo if possible.

Would it be a good idea to have the action bedded into the chassis?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semmens</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Bringing back an old thread, sorry in advance.

Im going to be purchasing an AX chassis and putting a still tac300 action into it. Im looking for a Picatinny rail that will fit the action and chassis system. I like the full length rails on the regualar AX but also like the rail seen in this photo if possible.

Would it be a good idea to have the action bedded into the chassis? </div></div>

I'm almost 100% positive that if you get the chassis bedded, it will void any warranty AI has for it.

Speaking of bedding, you don't need it for the AI chassis, either traditional or AX.

I can't speak for AI but if you bed your action and screw something up, like it's sitting to high and mag doesn't work well that's on you. On the other hand if something happens to anything AI had a hand in I'm pretty confident they will stand behind their work.

Ok so no bedding it for me.. Any word on a good rail for it? I like the look of the one pictured, looks like its part of the chassis. The ones AI has on there is pretty much full length. If i could find something like that that would be perfect.