• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International Chassis System

Re: Accuracy International Chassis System

I am on the edge of ordering this stock myself. The fact that it doesn't require bedding keeps my options very open as far as gun selection when I choose to upgrade. I started long range shooting recently with an SPS Tac (.308,) and it will be a while before I feel the limitations of that setup. I plan on shooting out the barrel before making an upgrade choice. Being able to carry the stock over is a huge plus.

The question is this- does the AICS offer significant recoil absorbtion? I am a pretty good sized guy, at 6'1, 245, but I find that the recoil from even a .308 in the compact, lightweight package of the SPS tactical throws my gun way off target after shooting. I'm sure some of it is my technique (I'm new and I have a ton to learn,) but I beleive a heavier package will help soak some of that up, yes?

My AICS-bedded rifles needed to be bedded.

Best example is my 22LR. I had a 40X mounted on an AICS. My builder was Clay Spencer--one of the best. Clay rebuilt the rifle and mounted it in the AICS. We decided not to bed it to see how it would do--the rifle would generally group tight with the exception of 1-2 flyers every 20 rounds. The fliers would always be lateral and significantly outside the median.

Clay then bedded the rifle--no more uncalled fliers and the median groups went to one hole. Every other variable was the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CubeWarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My AICS-bedded rifles needed to be bedded.

Best example is my 22LR. I had a 40X mounted on an AICS. My builder was Clay Spencer--one of the best. Clay rebuilt the rifle and mounted it in the AICS. We decided not to bed it to see how it would do--the rifle would generally group tight with the exception of 1-2 flyers every 20 rounds. The fliers would always be lateral and significantly outside the median.

Clay then bedded the rifle--no more uncalled fliers and the median groups went to one hole. Every other variable was the same.

</div></div>When bedding, do you pretty much permanently marry the action and the stock together? Or can the bedding be redone? I ask because I plan on upgrading my barreled action at some point but don't want to buy a chassis all over again.

BM11:

Bedding doesn't bond the action to the stock, it just provides consistent contact between the two. This increases consistency of pressure on the action when mated to the stock. Once you bed, you can still separate the stock and action, but you don't want to do it often because it degrades the bedding. That said:

First, recommend that you try an AICS chassis before you buy one. Its either love or hate... The AICS stock isn't going to reduce your challenge with staying on the target through recoil--only technique is going to fix that.

Second, if you go with an AICS, then try shooting your rifle without the bedding. If it doesn't produce uncalled fliers on a rifle rest, then don't bed it.

Third, if you do bed, I recommend Devcon putty. I had a not-so-good-experience with a softer glass-based bedding compound, but I'm not as knowledgeable as others on this site.

If you are going to swap rifles, you may not want to bed. Bedding can be redone. My rifles are bedded, and I never remove them from the stocks once they are in to preserve the contact surface as it was originally prepared.

Cubewarrior,

I understand that bedding doesn't permanently bond the action to the reciever, my question was more like "once I have rem 700 action a bedded, can I at a different date, bed in remington 700 action b, or are the stock and action a permanently bedded?

The reason I ask is because I would like to upgrade my gun when my ability justifies it, which might involve getting a higher end action, and I would like to be able to do that. From what I know about bedding, it involves using epoxy and/or fiberglass resin, which sound like permanent modifications to the stock to me. Is bedding removeable?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am on the edge of ordering this stock myself. The fact that it doesn't require bedding keeps my options very open as far as gun selection when I choose to upgrade. I started long range shooting recently with an SPS Tac (.308,) and it will be a while before I feel the limitations of that setup. I plan on shooting out the barrel before making an upgrade choice. Being able to carry the stock over is a huge plus.

The question is this- does the AICS offer significant recoil absorbtion? I am a pretty good sized guy, at 6'1, 245, but I find that the recoil from even a .308 in the compact, lightweight package of the SPS tactical throws my gun way off target after shooting. I'm sure some of it is my technique (I'm new and I have a ton to learn,) but I beleive a heavier package will help soak some of that up, yes?</div></div>

You will absolutely notice a difference in recoil with the AICS; the effective addition of several pounds of metal inside the rifle's stock definitely brings down the level of recoil and muzzle rise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cubewarrior,

I understand that bedding doesn't permanently bond the action to the reciever, my question was more like "once I have rem 700 action a bedded, can I at a different date, bed in remington 700 action b, or are the stock and action a permanently bedded?</div></div>

Bedding can be redone, but it will need to be ground out and new bedding compound put in.

"I" would not bed a receiver into an AICS especially if you were not going to keep that receiver with that chassis for the life of the system.

How long do you think it will take for your skill level to exceed that of a trued 700 action?

Back to what I had said, before even considering to bed an AICS you should test the non-bedded fit to see if stress is being put on the action and barrel. If there is little to no stress on the action then it is pointless to bed it. About the recoil, it is the Cadillac of stocks, smoothest ride in town.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How long do you think it will take for your skill level to exceed that of a trued 700 action? </div></div>Thats a good point. I was thinking more along the lines of someday EITHER upgrading to something along the lines of a surgeon, or truing my current action. I am aware though that often the recoil lug is upgraded when that is done, which would still require re-bedding at that point, yes?

You are so far away from having to worry about any of that, it's not even funny.

My suggestion is to buy the AICS if you desire. Bolt the rifle in, and shoot it.

Don't look for solutions to problems that you don't have. By the time you have developed your skills to out-shoot a factory 700 in an AICS you should have enough experience to know what is a worthwhile upgrade and what is not.

I want one of them, Bought a sps varmit in .243 for my dad for fathers day. Maybe next year I will get him one. I love my mcm a5 but there is something about those stocks that I love.

The recoil lug will not need bedding at all. If you get your action trued then during reassembly the gunsmith will set the location of the lug to mate up with the stock. I could store change or trash in the the gap for mine but it mates up perfectly with the edge or the lug slot. Look I would decide if you like the stock. If you do then get it and go from there. If you decide to get the action trued then ask the gunsmith to check the bedding when he breaks the torque on the action bolts. He will be able to advise you from there. But bedded or not the AICS will make your rifle shoot better than what you've got. I would post pics but I'm waiting for Mark at Short Action Customs to post them. They should be up soon.

My AI 2.0 works great. I tested my 18" SPS Tactical in an HS Precision LTR stock for both cold bore and groups and then after I installed the AICS 2.0 chassis. With no bedding and torque settings of 53 inch pounds, my groups shrank to less than 1/2 MOA from 3/4 MOA with the HS stock. Nothing else was done. I removed the stock and repeated the group tests several times with the same results. I did not like the feel of the AI stock at first, but after a couple of shooting sessions and seeing the results......I am convinced it is a more accurate setup. The weight difference is not that noticeable unless you carry your weapon system a long distance and have lots of stuff hanging from it.

Also, my cold bore shot is more consistent, which is the most important feature to me......all cold bore shots I have tested have been within 1/4 MOA to my group center after the barrel is warm or hot. Very little shift after the first shot. I have not been able to try it in very cold temps yet, but I don't expect a huge shift there either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are so far away from having to worry about any of that, it's not even funny.

My suggestion is to buy the AICS if you desire. Bolt the rifle in, and shoot it.

Don't look for solutions to problems that you don't have. By the time you have developed your skills to out-shoot a factory 700 in an AICS you should have enough experience to know what is a worthwhile upgrade and what is not.

</div></div>Thanks for the advice. I just signed up for the online training, I'm going to go through the beginning lessons and work with my existing setup for the next couple of weeks to determine if I still would benefit from the upgrade to an AICS, or if I'll just be fine with the stock Hogue.

anyone know if you can add a ai cheekrest to one that doesnt have it? or an aftermarket one that fits nicely? and prices? i cant find one in australia

I imagine you can order the the cheek rest and hardware from the your nations AI dealer. Once the parts are acquired you could probably have a gunsmith drill the holes to install it correctly. What ever you do you want to be able to remove it so you can clean the barrel. Do not permanently fix it to the stock. I have no idea what the total cost would be.

you can easily add a cheekrest using Kydex and Velcro (2"-3" wide).

1. cut the kydex
2. degrease the stock and attach the "fuzzy" Velcro to bopth sides of the stock (3" long pieces, horizontaly, parallel to the bore).
3. form the Kydex to the stock, allow to cool.
4. degrease the cheekrest and attach two velcro (rough) to the cheekrest. these should perpendicular to the velcro attached to the stock to allow height adjustment.
5. use a scotchbrite pad to smoothe out the rough edges of the cheeckrest.

voila!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: penumbra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can easily add a cheekrest using Kydex and Velcro (2"-3" wide)...

voila! </div></div>

You can also put 20" chrome rims on your SUV but I wouldn't suggest it.
laugh.gif