• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International Picture Thread

Finally joined the Mile High Club.
First date with my new sweetheart was awesome!
Here's one of my boys taking sloppy seconds.
View attachment 6884669

Well, the honeymoon's over folks. When I bought my new AX 308 a few months ago, I was in love. I really wanted an AXMC with 300WM and .308 Win barrels, but the price difference made it unattainable for me. The next best thing was the AX. I managed to scrape together the funds for this rifle, and the last few months have been great. Then the unthinkable happened.

My attention was diverted by a listing in the "for sale" section, here on the Hide. It was for an AXMC in the exact configuration that I originally wanted, for an outstanding price, and with extras to boot. I sent a few quick text messages and a deal was struck. Now, even though my old love has found a new home, I don't miss her...much, because I still get to see her twice a month, and my affections are monopolized by my current love.

Seriously, as awesome as the AX was, The AXMC is just as awesome with more versatility. But still, I wish I could have afforded both.

Here's my new stick, along with the first group from the .308 barrel. I haven't shot the 300WM barrel, yet.

AIAX Package_sterile.jpg

First Group_AXMC_ info_small.jpg

For y’all that have a folding AT, what maintenence do you need for the hinge? Oil, WD40, dry lube, or anything? Any exposed metal that could rust easier than a fixed? Any little bits that have every made you think twice? Do you just maintain whenever you clean the rifle or is more required?

I know I sound retarded, but I’m trying to justify the extra $500 (not that that matters long term of course, thats only 2-3 months of ammo). Might push the purchase back a month, depends on the amount of overtime I get coming up.

Do you travel with it folded? Thinking of the ease at which I could transport in a backpack (with barrel removed), very tempting. Somthing like this to fit in a medium to large backpack:
View attachment 6930355

Ever wish you went with a fixed AIAT?

I have a folder and 3 of my buddies have fixed. I’d pay the $500 for the simple fact that I can fold my stock and pull my bolt out. They have to remove and readjust their cheek pieces everytime the bolt comes out. That’s a pain in the ass I don’t need.

As an added bonus it goes on and out of my safe with ease folded. It fits in smaller cases no problem. I can put it in my pack and not worry about hitting every limb in the woods. And lastly, it’s damn satisfying locking that latch back in before you shoot lol.

Well, the honeymoon's over folks. When I bought my new AX 308 a few months ago, I was in love. I really wanted an AXMC with 300WM and .308 Win barrels, but the price difference made it unattainable for me. The next best thing was the AX. I managed to scrape together the funds for this rifle, and the last few months have been great. Then the unthinkable happened.

My attention was diverted by a listing in the "for sale" section, here on the Hide. It was for an AXMC in the exact configuration that I originally wanted, for an outstanding price, and with extras to boot. I sent a few quick text messages and a deal was struck. Now, even though my old love has found a new home, I don't miss her...much, because I still get to see her twice a month, and my affections are monopolized by my current love.

Seriously, as awesome as the AX was, The AXMC is just as awesome with more versatility. But still, I wish I could have afforded both.

Here's my new stick, along with the first group from the .308 barrel. I haven't shot the 300WM barrel, yet.

View attachment 6930369

View attachment 6930384
Nice setup. What pack is that? Is that a sleeve for the extra barrel? How do you like the pack?

For y’all that have a folding AT, what maintenence do you need for the hinge? Oil, WD40, dry lube, or anything? Any exposed metal that could rust easier than a fixed? Any little bits that have every made you think twice? Do you just maintain whenever you clean the rifle or is more required?

I know I sound retarded, but I’m trying to justify the extra $500 (not that that matters long term of course, thats only 2-3 months of ammo). Might push the purchase back a month, depends on the amount of overtime I get coming up.

Do you travel with it folded? Thinking of the ease at which I could transport in a backpack (with barrel removed), very tempting. Somthing like this to fit in a medium to large backpack:
View attachment 6930355

Ever wish you went with a fixed AIAT?

I love the folder. No maintenance really needed. I can use the same case for my AI that I use for an AR15. I like that even though it isn’t “locked” in the folded position, the little keeper hold it very tight, with no rattle.

I love the folder. No maintenance really needed. I can use the same case for my AI that I use for an AR15. I like that even though it isn’t “locked” in the folded position, the little keeper hold it very tight, with no rattle.

Can you explain the keeper? I thought the stock locked into place via push button?

Can you explain the keeper? I thought the stock locked into place via push button?

When the stock is opened, i.e. the position you shoot it in, it is locked vault-tight. You release it by depressing the push-button, which allows you to fold it. Then when it is completely folded against the chassis, a metal “male” stud in the chassis fits into a plastic “female” keeper which is in the buttstock. That prevents the folded stock from inadvertently swinging out during transport.

Reactions: PBWalsh and kRcu
Nice setup. What pack is that? Is that a sleeve for the extra barrel? How do you like the pack?

The bag is an Accuracy International Maverick 41 drag bag. MHSA and others sell this bag for about $280.00. They also sell a backpack that attaches to the bag. The rifle only came with the drag bag, not the pack, but I’m thinking of getting one, so I can compare the system to my Eberlestock Operator.

The drag bag has an integral sleeve that holds an extra barrel. There is also a separate spare barrel sleeve, and a spare bolt pouch, pictured that was included in the deal. I’m not sure of the manufacturer, but it’s not part of the Maverick 41 system. I do like these items, as they appear to be good quality, and can be stowed in a pack or mounted to the outside via molle/pals webbing.

I love this drag bag, so far. The materials and workmanship are of good quality. The zippers appear to be heavy-duty. I like the built in barrel sleeve, cylindrical pouch that would hold a spotting scope, compact shooting mat, etc., and storage pocket that is large enough to hold spare mags, rangefinder, and a kestrel. It will carry the minimum load that I would need to bail out of my patrol car and set up for an immediate shot. The length can be shortened if you carry the rifle folded. I like having the ability to add the pack for more storage if I need it.

The only possible negative that I see is that it only opens from one end. It does not zip open on the side. Other drag bags I’ve used opened on the side, giving access to the rifle without removing it from the case. However, with this configuration, there’s no concern that a faulty zipper might compromise the bag during hard use. Training and deploying with this bag will determine my final opinion.

Reactions: deersniper
I don’t believe mine are from TAB Gear. Mine doesn’t have shock cord with a cord lock like the one pictured in the link. It has a flap that folds over the open end and secures with a fastex buckle. The bolt pouch is separate from the barrel sleeve and has the same type of closure. Both have webbing on the back to facilitate mounting to a molle/palls system using Malice clips or similar. I will give them a closer look to see if I can identify the manufacturer.

@Skimafia just proposed a genius idea over in the Reloading section that I wanted to run by you all who are more knowledgeable than me. Measuring seating depth is a PITA, and I normally result to doing a 10 measurement average with a Hornady OAL gauge and measure the CBTO and adjust accordingly. One of the beauties of the new AT's and AX's is the quick change barrel system, so could we unthread the barrel and have easier access to the chamber and measure that way with a fired case and bullet?

I use to have an AX with the quick lock.

I did exactly that to do by BTO measurements. Pop of the barrel and drop a dummy round into the chamber. When it doesn't stick I considered that to be the lands. Seemed to work well enough for me.

I also did all my cleaning with the barrel off.

Ah, but it's not! I had ordered two barrels with mine. My .308 was within my expectations. HOWEVER, the 6.5CM wouldn't shoot better than 0.6" at 100 yards (19 different charge weights, 140 bergers, H4350). Sent it in to AI, they shot it. Four 5-shot groups, and averaged over .57 MOA (at 104 yards, so about what I shot it at, and also someone who may have a significant record attached to their name). They said that was within their tolerances.

Bwahahahaha. A $7,000 rifle that won't shoot under 1/2 MOA. I have this all in writing, BTW.

Also, their optics rails are out of spec (on AXs). (Also in writing).
Dude you always come in here and complain. It’s a switch barrel multi caliber system that any old dummy can swap a barrel. And it’s shooting around a half MOA and you’re complaining? KAC standards for the SR25 is 1 MOA. All the rifles I see at cabelas are under 1 MOA. Not under 0.001 MOA as you’re looking for. It attaches with a 4mm hex bolt. That’s it. That’s a wonder in engineering. You’re associating the cost with the expected MOA and in my opinion you’re viewing and expecting it wrong.

If I paid that much for a custom non switch barrel rifle (see also: Tac LIMA51) I’d expect 0.000001 MOA (which that guy does). But expecting it out of this? That’s like expecting a 900hp GTO to lap the nurburgring faster than the GT3RS because has more power. You gotta ask what’s the purpose of the tool?

Ah, but it's not! I had ordered two barrels with mine. My .308 was within my expectations. HOWEVER, the 6.5CM wouldn't shoot better than 0.6" at 100 yards (19 different charge weights, 140 bergers, H4350). Sent it in to AI, they shot it. Four 5-shot groups, and averaged over .57 MOA (at 104 yards, so about what I shot it at, and also someone who may have a significant record attached to their name). They said that was within their tolerances.

Bwahahahaha. A $7,000 rifle that won't shoot under 1/2 MOA. I have this all in writing, BTW.

Also, their optics rails are out of spec (on AXs). (Also in writing).

Sir, I think you’re confused. Companies are not bound to your expectations of their products, they are bound by the guarantees they make about their products. Plenty of people on this site have AI’s that are shooting in the .1’s and .2’s with precision handloads. These are not benchrest rifles, they are military grade sniper rifles that are being pressed into service as sporters, hunters, and match rifles, as well as fulfilling their intended role with law enforcement and militaries all over the world. The fact that they are built for extreme durability, reliability, adaptability, parts interchangeability, and still manage to shoot 1/2 MOA with factory loads, let alone damn near bench rest sized groups with hand loads, is a fucking miracle of design, engineering and manufacturing.

Have you checked the price tags on Barrett’s .50 caliber semi autos? How about any make of machine gun these days? These all cost more than the AI, but I think you’d be hard pressed to produce sub half minute groups from any of them, as issued. They aren’t designed for that. Accuracy and precision are not the only qualities that drive up cost.

You may be a victim of tolerance stacking between this barrel and your receiver and bolt. That barrel might shoot groups half that size in another rifle, but the fact remains that it’s shooting in the .6’s in your rifle. This is within AI’s specs, and it’s within reasonable expectations for a sniper rifle, so you got exactly what you paid for. If you can’t live with this barrel, get another. Don’t try to blame AI, or Bartlein for your unreasonable expectations. And don’t try to smear the reputations of these companies to try to garner support, or make yourself feel better. We’re not biting.

I was going to say exactly that ^

How many people in here and elsewhere are in total awe of AI’s products. How many people complain?

This is 100% false. Accuracy International has said that they are out of spec in writing.

ETA: It was actually worse than that. They said, "They're within tolerances when they're untreated [Meaning uncerakoted]", but once we cerakote them, they're outside of tolerances. So, sorta like saying, "Your car doors will shut before we paint them, but once we paint them, it's going to be a windy ride."

Further edited to add: Sniperstud, just an honest a curious question. Why would you make the statement "Your AX rails are not out of spec, they're manufactured to a different spec than you're used to using" in the first place. Beyond it just being false, 1) How do you know what I'm used to using? And 2) how do you know "so much" about AI's manufacturing spec?

Would you rather the rails be manufactured undersized, so that they would be within specs after Cerakote? Then when the mounts wear through the finish, and they will, Cerakote is not indestructible, you would be bitching about an out of spec rail anyway. Either way, quality mounts will adjust for slightly out of spec rails.

The statement I made was a deduction, arrived at by looking at the substantiated facts you presented, and ignoring your conjecture. I will accept the content of the email as fact. The only content I see, that originated from AI, references the testing done to the barrel. The only mention of the out of spec rail was in your message to them. The comment you quoted about the rail tolerances and Cerakote did not appear in that email, unless it is part of the redacted text, therefor it is unsubstantiated.

I remembered an earlier thread about rail tolerances and a quick search produced the quote from Dave Tooley that I included in my post. I accept his word as expert testimony, so it is he, not I, that knows "so much" about AI's manufacturing specs. Finally, your email indicated that your barrel was sent to AINA, indicating you are located in the USA. The vast majority of quality rails marketed or manufactured in the U.S. are made to the 1913 specs. I deduced, then, that you would be most familiar with the 1913, or "picatinny" spec rail.

Is there room in my statement for error, yes there is, because it is an hypothesis based on your incomplete facts. If you had spent half as much time shooting that rifle as you have complaining about it, you might have found a load that worked.

Reactions: aam
I was referring to the fact that from what I read you only stated using H4350 as a powder and Berger 140 Hybrids and Berger 140 VLDs for bullet selection. in your previous posts. To me and I'm sure others, even when using 19 charge weights, using one type of powder and two bullets is a limited selection.

I strictly run 140's. I'm pushing them fast enough that going lighter doesn't gain me anything. I've even ran them at low 2730 and still got 3rd at this years Team Challenge.

I only ask because I was running 140 Gold Medal Match from a 22" Proof at 2690 and the wind beat me up pretty good. So I was thinking of going back to a 26" tube or lightening my bullet and shooting the 22".

Reactions: Sniperstud
Mk5- I got rid of two steiners. Nuff said. Turrets are great,Tracks like a boss, glass is OUtSTANDING compared to anything in the same price point. and who uses their illum before the battery goes dead anyways. Leupold scored a home run with that one... more innovation to come from them in the next few years I’ve been told?

I only ask because I was running 140 Gold Medal Match from a 22" Proof at 2690 and the wind beat me up pretty good. So I was thinking of going back to a 26" tube or lightening my bullet and shooting the 22".

In your situation, you're going to have to run a lighter bullet to make up with speed with that 22". I still wouldn't go below a 130gr if I where you.

If you're at 2690fps now, going to a 26" barrel will only net you about 50-100fps. Even if you win the lottery and your speed out of a 26" becomes 2850fps with the Sierra 140, that will only shoot about 0.2 mils better at 1000yds with a 10mph crosswind than it will at 2700fps.

IMO you'd be better off shooting out the 22" barrel unless you have a 26" in hand. People chase velocity like crazy, without seeming to recognize that for whatever bullet they're shooting an increase in 100fps only nets a tenth or two of wind...at 1000yds...with a full value crosswind. Most shots in "normal" PRS engagement distances that slight advantage gets lost in the fray.

I've shot Berger 140 Hybrids between 2725 and 2750fps for the past 3 years, and see no reason to change it. No need to push my 6.5x47L beyond what will net me good barrel and brass life. Many top competitors that shoot the 6.5 calibers stick with the 140gr class of bullets because on paper the 130s beat them in wind, but in real life I don't think that's the case.

If you're at 2690fps now, going to a 26" barrel will only net you about 50-100fps. Even if you win the lottery and your speed out of a 26" becomes 2850fps with the Sierra 140, that will only shoot about 0.2 mils better at 1000yds with a 10mph crosswind than it will at 2700fps.

IMO you'd be better off shooting out the 22" barrel unless you have a 26" in hand. People chase velocity like crazy, without seeming to recognize that for whatever bullet they're shooting an increase in 100fps only nets a tenth or two of wind...at 1000yds...with a full value crosswind. Most shots in "normal" PRS engagement distances that slight advantage gets lost in the fray.

I've shot Berger 140 Hybrids between 2725 and 2750fps for the past 3 years, and see no reason to change it. No need to push my 6.5x47L beyond what will net me good barrel and brass life. Many top competitors that shoot the 6.5 calibers stick with the 140gr class of bullets because on paper the 130s beat them in wind, but in real life I don't think that's the case.

In my experience the 130's beat the 140's in elevation out to 1,100'ish, but start dragging ass past 800 wind wise. I shoot some shorter matches, all inside 900 but very technical and small targets, and the 130's do great there. Anything beyond that I'd choose 140's unless you're having mag feeding issues with seating depth.

I have (2) 26" AINA barrels sitting in my safe

Good news for those who may be interested in running the same trigger and shoe in a R700 pattern trainer, I emailed Tom Myers of X-treme Shooting asking if it was possible to order the R700 trigger with the AI style dovetail rail, or purchase the part and install into one of their R700 triggers. This is the email I got.

So we can run a 223 trainer in a AI chassis and get the same exact trigger shoe and feel as our AI's.

Oh hell yeah! I was having trouble deciding on my first non-AI 2-stage for a build in the works. Looks like I found my answer.

I don’t believe mine are from TAB Gear. Mine doesn’t have shock cord with a cord lock like the one pictured in the link. It has a flap that folds over the open end and secures with a fastex buckle. The bolt pouch is separate from the barrel sleeve and has the same type of closure. Both have webbing on the back to facilitate mounting to a molle/palls system using Malice clips or similar. I will give them a closer look to see if I can identify the manufacturer.

You sure it's not the member here that makes that kind of stuff? His handle is Softcock

Reactions: Sniperstud
You sure it's not the member here that makes that kind of stuff? His handle is Softcock

Covertnoob5 posted earlier that mine were made by Softcock. I accept that as correct information. I got them as part of a package deal from another member and just didn't know where they came from. I appreciate you guys providing me with the information though. I'm planning on needing more of them, once my savings recovers. :D

Reactions: deersniper
I was one of the skeptics on the new trigger but after some research and talking to a few people I was convinced to give one a try.

I have to say it's marked improvement over the stock trigger. Mine came from the factory at about 8oz so I turned it up a little bit. Super nice, super crisp and very adjustable.

Is it worth $400? That's something you'll have to decide on for yourself.

So I’m going to try and call MHSA today or Monday and update my AT package through them. Before I do, are there ANY rumors or talk of a new rifle from AI coming next year?

Currently 100% on to an AIAT, but am wondering with the release of the new trigger if AI has anything else lurking just around the corner? Any validations for this though?

There were some spy photos floating around of the new AXBP that is supposed to be out next year. It's basically an AXMC in bullpup form. Very short and compact!

JK..... a guy can dream can't he?.