• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Accuracy International trigger adjustments

Scotch_egg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2010
England
I have an AT that I am not happy with the trigger. There is distinct creep that I want to get rid of. However the only diagram I have seen shows that the only user adjustment is pull weight.

I was tempted by the competition trigger but have been put off by the original thread where several users reverted back to factory triggers.

A friends AT has a far better trigger than mine and breaks more like my old TRG trigger.

What advice can any one offer.

Attachments

• BFBD79FE-BEB4-4BF2-9A06-602A12153894.png
    BFBD79FE-BEB4-4BF2-9A06-602A12153894.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 584
Just remember for the couple guys who went back to the stock AI trigger, there’s hundreds more who like the comp trigger.
There’s also a solicitation that they failed cause of a trigger ?

There’s a few more adjustments you can do to the stocker but it’s best you have someone with knowledge of the trigger do them.
There was a thread that showed how to adjust it further. But be warned, it can get to the point where it’s not drop safe.

I had this same issue with my AX trigger, whereas my AT broke very crisp. I called Mile High, and they told me to adjust the sear screw myself, no need to ship it in. I can’t remember which way I turned it (I’d have to find my notes) but it was seriously 1/4 turn at most and the creep was gone.

Just remember for the couple guys who went back to the stock AI trigger, there’s hundreds more who like the comp trigger.

Just remember, only a few people have been vocal about it.

The rest just went back to the factory trigger without saying anything online.

I’ve had no less than 10 people message me directly asking about failures they have experienced with their comp triggers. And know of at least 10 locally.

I can’t think of any other quality product where I personally know of 20+ cases of the same failure. Or a product that has been adjusted by the owner and designer of the trigger, only to fail immediately upon arrival.

I’m sure plenty of people like it, but don’t make the mistake of thinking there isn’t an issue with it.

Just remember, only a few people have been vocal about it.

The rest just went back to the factory trigger without saying anything online.

I’ve had no less than 10 people message me directly asking about failures they have experienced with their comp triggers. And know of at least 10 locally.

I can’t think of any other quality product where I personally know of 20+ cases of the same failure. Or a product that has been adjusted by the owner and designer of the trigger, only to fail immediately upon arrival.

I’m sure plenty of people like it, but don’t make the mistake of thinking there isn’t an issue with it.

Out of the 10ish people/AIs I know there have been 0 trigger failures I’ve heard of. I’m not saying they don’t fail, I’m only saying someone is more likely to come to the internet to complain then to say it works fine.

Out of the 10ish people/AIs I know there have been 0 trigger failures I’ve heard of. I’m not saying they don’t fail, I’m only saying someone is more likely to come to the internet to complain then to say it works fine.

I had three different triggers. Two different rifles.

One of the triggers I never even adjusted the sear engagement from the package.

Two of the three were sent back to Tom who assured me he tuned them on the jig and were g2g. Both failed to cock the bolt when running it with force.......as adjusted from the man himself.

100% failure in three triggers is my experience with them.

And my experience with owner of said company was not good. I was given his contact info by two people who had the same issue and sent their triggers in. When I contacted him he said “I definitely want to take a look at your trigger, as we’ve had no issues or complaints at all.”

The issue could very well be there are just too many adjustments, so it makes it a bit of a crap shoot. Many users may get lucky enough to get all the right settings perfect.

But when two triggers go to the guy that designs them for adjustments and neither one will function properly (with video sent to owner prior, so he should have also run tests with bolts running hard and fast), that’s a huge problem.

I don’t want something I have to be better at tuning than the guy who built it.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Which is interesting, dthomas. The ai comp trigger is nothing different than the cg Jackson 2 stage xtreme trigger, well only difference is the addition of a over travel screw on the ai comp trigger. I've put 4000+rds on a cg Jackson xtreme trigger with no issues. Trigger was set up with PROPER sear engagement and had a 1.25lb 1st stage and 14oz 2nd stage. I got an ai comp trigger, but to me it was too light and I had both stages almost maxed out to be at same pull as my ae's and cg Jackson. I ended up adjusting at trigger to my liking and sold ai comp trigger. I still prefer my ae triggers, they offer a bit more adjustment without issues of drop safety.

Which is interesting, dthomas. The ai comp trigger is nothing different than the cg Jackson 2 stage xtreme trigger, well only difference is the addition of a over travel screw on the ai comp trigger. I've put 4000+rds on a cg Jackson xtreme trigger with no issues. Trigger was set up with PROPER sear engagement and had a 1.25lb 1st stage and 14oz 2nd stage. I got an ai comp trigger, but to me it was too light and I had both stages almost maxed out to be at same pull as my ae's and cg Jackson. I ended up adjusting at trigger to my liking and sold ai comp trigger. I still prefer my ae triggers, they offer a bit more adjustment without issues of drop safety.

I agree in theory.

But when two triggers go back to the guy that designed them and come back with immediate failing, on two different rifles, without any end user adjustments. That’s a problem that I want nothing to do with.

I missed this reply. I have had a CG Jackson extreme in a Custom action. I really couldn’t get on with it.

Maybe I have been spoilt by the original Sako TRG trigger. It really was the best trigger I have ever used.

I haven’t adjusted the sear on my AI trigger yet. I have lightened the pull weight and seeing how I get on.

I missed this reply. I have had a CG Jackson extreme in a Custom action. I really couldn’t get on with it.

Maybe I have been spoilt by the original Sako TRG trigger. It really was the best trigger I have ever used.

I haven’t adjusted the sear on my AI trigger yet. I have lightened the pull weight and seeing how I get on.

I’ve noticed anything under 3-3.5lbs on the AI factory trigger is hit or miss as far as drop safe.

It will handle a drop or impact on the side of the rifle. But dropping it directly on the butt of the rifle and it will fire.

3.5lbs and it’s completely drop safe.

Just something to keep in mind when going lighter on the factory trigger.

I’ve noticed anything under 3-3.5lbs on the AI factory trigger is hit or miss as far as drop safe.

It will handle a drop or impact on the side of the rifle. But dropping it directly on the butt of the rifle and it will fire.

3.5lbs and it’s completely drop safe.

Just something to keep in mind when going lighter on the factory trigger.
At or ae? Cause I've had 3 different ae that the trigger was lightened to 1.25lb 1st stage and 1lb 2nd, 2.25lb total, and they were all drop safe

When a rifle is new, trigger parts are rough. They break in over time and the feel of the pull improves.

Sometimes people perceive creep and blame it on sear engagement, but when they adjust it out the rifle becomes drop unsafe.

When all they had to do is shoot it a bunch of times and allow for break in. Or dry fire a bunch. Then, if the creep is still there, make adjustments and/or introduce some JB in there. It will make for a glass smooth break within a dozen cycles. Then you just squirt it away with carb cleaner.

I'm beginning to think people's definition of drop safe is different. I bought a Comp trigger for an AT. The factory AT trigger had been adjusted by the original owner to a nice but much lighter pull. It was not drop safe. I installed the Comp trigger I purchased off another member who said it was currently adjusted drop safe. I did not find it drop safe either. He and I conversed about it a little; no heartache on my end, just discussing it. He brought up that the sear engagement might be a little different on two different rifles. Could totally be the case, IDK. A week or so later I was playing with the action, dry firing. Did a couple of drop tests. Realized that if I dropped it from what I considered a defining height, about 18", it was not drop safe but if I dropped it from 8 to 10" it was. It could be that the previous owners were just not being assholes to their rifles. I drop test them from that high bc the dickheads that drop test them around our matches will.

So for all the guys that say their rifle/ trigger is drop safe at 1lb I wonder what their standard is.
If my memory serves correct, military standards are “safe carrying distance from ground” most assume 30-40”. But many test were done at 48”. But some of those test is with the safety on. It’s also done on a 1” thick rubber to not ruin the buttstock. There was a match in New Mexico that was going to test all competitors rifles at 18” with safety off. If you failed, you didnt shoot.

Reactions: RS14
Steel Safari?

What military standard? Marine Corp? For a competition? For individuals adjusting their issued rifles' triggers?
Nah you read to much into that

The military as in United States Military Sami spec stuff was what I was referring to.

The competition was its own competition in New Mexico, it was a PRS match. They were going to drop test rifles prior to shooting, it might have been 16”. The match was about a month or so ago.

Yes that one, Farmington

I can see it being a thing for some types of matches, but most don’t want to jolt their scope with a 20lb rifle or before a big match. I don’t blame them, I test shit at the range, so when I go to a match I don’t have issues.

Reactions: Aaron47pb
What’s the proper procedure for adjusting the sear?
I realize I'm talking about a Bix'n Andy trigger however the mechanics of sear engagement releasing the firing pin are roughly the same. You unscrew the sear engagement screw just to where the bolt will not cock and stay cocked. You then turn 1/16 at a time until you are getting safe engagement, meaning firing pin not slipping/firing with a drop test and hard running of the bolt. Once that is good you then turn the screw another 1/8 turn to 1/4 turn, do your checks again and you should be set. Unless you already found the answer to this and I was way off lol in that case don't shoot your eye out.

I just got a pre-14 AX, where the trigger has been set to be pretty much single stage. What do I have to do to set it back? Unscrew sear engagement screw?