• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy up, Consistency up, but shoulder really sore...

Nomad0001

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2012
Greenville, SC
I know I'm going to take a beating, but maybe someone knows how to minimize this...

Stock Rem 700 5R 308. Off the bench (concrete), Harris bipod.

Applied the recoil management techniques as taught in online training here. Pulling the rifle into the pocket in your shoulder works like a charm, but not having a lot of meat on my bones, I feel like someone punched me in the shoulder 40 times.

Recoil from the same gun never bothered me before (when I used to let the rifle bounce all over the place), but my groups were a lot bigger...

Any ideas?

Let the Wimp-athon begin! (but try to be constructive...)

Last edited:
Accuracy up, Consistency up, but shoulder really sore...

Don't put the stock on your collar bone.

Perhaps another hobby would be more your speed. Ever thought of knitting?

this is what i was gonna say. if its not on your collar bone you are a total wuss ass. maybe a daisy will not abuse you so much. the bb gun not the flower. the flower would kick your ass.

Yea, I definitely put the stock not only on the collarbone, but where the collarbone meets the shoulder joint. Too high and way too outboard on the actual shoulder joint. Won't be doing that next time; thats for sure...

Well, how many rounds did you shoot at one sitting? Too many and you get tired and sloppy.

No way a 308 should be abusing you; it should be the other way around.

Good Luck,

....maybe a daisy will not abuse you so much. the bb gun not the flower. the flower would kick your ass.

Sorry OP, this comment was just waaaay too funny!

I have found that a Limbsaver recoil pad on the butt and a JEC customs muzzle break have helped with recoil immensely on my Rem 700 5R. I am new to precision long range shooting, so was also not used to bolt-action medium caliber recoil.

It sure ain't one of my AR's which recoil like a BB gun!

this is what i was gonna say. if its not on your collar bone you are a total wuss ass. maybe a daisy will not abuse you so much. the bb gun not the flower. the flower would kick your ass.

That's funny right there!

To the OP, if a .308 is kicking your ass, please don't cover it up with a muzzle brake. A brake should compliment good technique, not cover up bad technique. There's something wrong with your position that needs to be addressed. My first thought is that your bipod is too low, but off of a bench, this shouldn't be an issue. Still, try getting the bipod up another notch or so. Us skinny guys have it harder, I think, but there is still a "pocket" where the gun won't be punching a bone. I can easily shoot 75-100 rounds of .308 through a 10lb rifle and not feel like I've been punched, and I'm not a tough guy. Keep trying. Dry fire at home and play with shoulder placement, stance, etc. and see if you can't find a comfortable position.

I typically bruise a bit with my .300 mag after many rounds. It simply means I was not out jogging in a park with other girly men. Heck, shoot enough rounds, 5.56 will do the same.

Try knitting. Just read the instructions first. You can poke your eye out...

Or - try snugging tighter into your shoulder. If you leave 1/4 inch gap, it'll bite you.

Last edited:
Try shooting a 45-70.... That should help elliminate the problem of felt recoil with a 308.

Also ask the wife for a Maxi Recoil Pad

:). Re hankpac's

What's next... Makeup foundation giving rashes...?

Last edited:
Also ask the wife for a Maxi Recoil Pad

:). Re hankpac's

What's next... Makeup foundation giving rashes...?

I'm not the one that seems to know quite a lot about women's make up and is playing with panty liners...

Last edited:

OP, it is okay. The is the one area nobody seems to get right because everybody is a little different.

The OP is shooting a hard bench position so he may be sitting up rather than leaning into the rifle. However, this seems to be a constant problem with people starting out in the prone position. As you can see on the attached image she is not putting the butt in the pocket above her right breast close to the shoulder joint. For that matter, it seems like everybody has a different idea what is the pocket of the shoulder since that spot is not the shoulder itself. It would be impossible to properly place the larger stock butts squarely in that little pocket. Ideally, I don't want the top tip of the butt being the only thing contacting my body. To me, Greg L. has the right idea or suggestion (on a similar thread). Add a little artifical obesesity to that area. Fat boys can take more recoil not because they are in great physical shape but because they are fat and heavy. I would also add that a right amount of a simple pushup and body crunch routine negates the need for a muzzle brake for anything less than a .338. The problem lies within proper recoil management. Trying leaning into the rifle rather than sitting almost straight up at the bench. Remember to load the Harris a little. A little goes a long way.

nationals_042_090710.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I made the mistake of thinking I had the buttstock in the pocket only to learn I didn't. Try again. If that still persists maybe try a shotgunners shirt or throw a wadded up hand towel in there.

Muzzle break or suppressor. You'll enjoy shooting a lot more with the latter-people on either side of you will detest your muzzle brake!

OP, it is okay. The is the one area nobody seems to get right because everybody is a little different.

The OP is shooting a hard bench position so he may be sitting up rather than leaning into the rifle. However, this seems to be a constant problem with people starting out in the prone position. As you can see on the attached image she is not putting the butt in the pocket above her right breast close to the shoulder joint. For that matter, it seems like everybody has a different idea what is the pocket of the shoulder since that spot is not the shoulder itself. It would be impossible to properly place the larger stock butts squarely in that little pocket. Ideally, I don't want the top tip of the butt being the only thing contacting my body. To me, Greg L. has the right idea or suggestion (on a similar thread). Add a little artifical obesesity to that area. Fat boys can take more recoil not because they are in great physical shape but because they are fat and heavy. I would also add that a right amount of a simple pushup and body crunch routine negates the need for a muzzle brake for anything less than a .338. The problem lies within proper recoil management. Trying leaning into the rifle rather than sitting almost straight up at the bench. Remember to load the Harris a little. A little goes a long way.

View attachment 46670

Thanks for the constructive advice! Now that I have had time to think about it, I think what happened is that I watched all the videos in the online training section in 1 week, and then tried to do *Everything* on the videos all at once. In the process I did do a lot of things right, but putting the stock on my shoulder joint and then pulling back on it to control the recoil before pulling the trigger was not one of them. A year ago, I went to a 4 day class where we fired >300 rounds, and I don't remember any discomfort other than an abrasion on my right elbow from the shooting mat (recoil induced). Going back to the range on Wednesday. They have concrete benches and many different height stools available.Will concentrate on building my position more carefully!

Last edited: