• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

accurate and reliable digital powder scale

john32303

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2012
hi all

was at the local swap meet. a reloader guy was selling a digital scale that could read to .001 grains. i thought it was pretty impressive. i cant remember the brand. i was wondering who else has had any experience with a scale like this.

Re: accurate and reliable digital powder scale

I haven't had one personally because I have heard a lot of horror stories of expensive electronic scales failing on people in a few years or less.

I'm sure they are nice but I wouldn't trust it without routinely checking with a manual scale.

And I wouldn't expect it to last forever like most reloading equipment.

Wow. I guess you'd be slicing individual grains to utilize that kind of resolution. Even if it did read that tight, I don't see the point; even 0.01 grain resolution is a bit anal.

I load all my hunting and match ammo on an AccuLab 123 that is accurate to .02 grains. .02 grains is about the size of 1 kernel of extruded powder. So anything finner than .02 grains won't help you any more. The issue with a scale accurate to .001 grains is usually the capacity. Some very accurate scales will not go as high as a magnum powder charge before maxing out the scale. IMO, .02 grains is as high as you would need to go and still be functional.

I bought an Acculab Sartorius that weighs to the 2/100th of a grain. My intention is to improve on using my Chargemaster Combo, because I'll never afford a Promethius. The Sartorius is so sensitive that it can read the difference in kernels of R-19. Only problem is that I'm not up to cutting my loads into partial kernels, yet.

The bottom line is that in my experience the Chargemaster is accurate enough for my shooting.

I've been very pleased with my $20 (shipped) AWS Gemini-20 off of ebay.

It has resolution down to .02 grain, holds a great zero, and is highly repeatable.

Only downsides are it doesn't like fresh new batteries, and the pan is a bit small.

I ended up making a new, larger pan by hammer forming one from a $5 piece of .010" thick brass sheet metal from the hardware store.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been very pleased with my $20 (shipped) AWS Gemini-20 off of ebay.

It has resolution down to .02 grain, holds a great zero, and is highly repeatable.

Only downsides are it doesn't like fresh new batteries, and the pan is a bit small.

I ended up making a new, larger pan by hammer forming one from a $5 piece of .010" thick brass sheet metal from the hardware store.</div></div>

+1 I've had mine for a year with no problems. I would also like a 120v power supply and be able to override the auto shut-off.

" at the local swap meet. a reloader guy was selling a digital scale that could read to .001 grains."

I suspect either you've mistakenly slipped a couple of zeros in there or the 'reloader guy' was lying.

I'm a stone cold believer in the RCBS Charge Master 1500. Fast as I can dump a charge and put the cup back on the scale it doles-out another one for me. One of the best investments I've ever made in the reloading room.

Just remember to calibrate it before each new run.

My Weigh GemPro 250, accurate to .02 of a grain. Option to use batteries or 120v power supply. I use the supplied power cord instead of batteries. Don't have to worry about the batteries dying and affecting the measurement.

Acculab vic 123......