• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Action doesn't fit into Manners stock

The mini-chassis is an aluminum chunk embedded in the stock, right? I’d be a little wary of scoring the aluminum (or worse) if I only used a dremel.

Here’s a link about using heat, acetone, etc
My opinion would be heat and/or acetone on the action or barrel for sure. With no worries except maybe damaging the finish/cosmetics.

Never do that on the stock though.

Reactions: carbonbased
In all seriousness, they make a release agent to remove the MarineTex

Sound like seller owes you a few bucks for a can of it and you can literally YouTube how to remove the MarineTex
The release agent is to coat surfaces BEFORE the MarineTex comes in contact with it, not after.
You can use a gallon of release agent on properly bonded MarineTex and get nowhere.

I just picked up a Manners stock for my TL3, but it doesn't fit. The recoil lug is a little wider than the channel in the chassis. Whats the best way to open this up slightly?
Definitely do not want to use heat or acetone on any part of your stock including the mini-chassis.
Your stock has a carbon fiber shell with hardware like the mini-chassis glued in place. Heat could weaken or delaminate things.
Solid No-Go.

As soon as the previous owner bedded the stock, it was matched to the host action at the time which in turn, made it incompatible with any other action unless you remove the bedding.

Best way forward is to mechanically remove most (you aren’t going to get all of it) of the bedding compound and then re-bed to your action. The only way you will regain the universal fit feature of the mini-chassis is to return back to the original dimensions and surfaces of the part. You aren’t going to be able to do that.

When you are clearing material in prep for the new bedding, DO NOT alter the Z-axis offset between your receiver bottom and the bottom metal (or mag catch if this stock has the one piece mini-chassis/dbm).
If you alter this in either direction, you will join the elite club of shooters out there that wonder why their mags don’t feed correctly.

Just when you put the action in a different stock/chassis, the fit might cause issues, like maybe the trigger or barrel hits something if the action can slide over too far.
That's not how that works. Not all recoil lugs are the same width, height, or thickness. If what you are saying was correct, there would be no universal fit stocks/chassis.

Still not the right approach, just not detrimental.

That's not how that works. Not all recoil lugs are the same width, height, or thickness. If what you are saying was correct, there would be no universal fit stocks/chassis.

Still not the right approach, just not detrimental.
Thank god I used the qualifier “might” & “maybe” (not being snarky). What would be the detrimental effects of filing the tang? (left and right bits, not what is usually called the “thickness”).

It just seems like…a bad idea.

Wait, in the distance, they’re coming for me!

@TheBigCountry run man run!
(I hope I’m faster than u!)

1704831005857.gif

Thank god I used the qualifier “might” & “maybe” (not being snarky). What would be the detrimental effects of filing the tang? (left and right bits, not what is usually called the “thickness”).

It just seems like…a bad idea.

Wait, in the distance, they’re coming for me!

@TheBigCountry run man run!
(I hope I’m faster than u!)

View attachment 8318644
I’ll trip you if I have to

1704831357743.gif

Hey @Terry Cross if he shipped you this stock could it be salvaged?
Shipping his stock to me would be like handing over the United States to Joe Biden.
Guaranteed fuckup prolly.

It could be done by any competent shop that does good bedding and stock work.
Just not my shop.
Or me. . . . I'm not real smart and already can barely handle what is on my plate.
For what I would have to charge, he could purchase a new stock.

Easiest (for the OP) would be if MCS could remove the entire mini-chassis and bond in a new one. Not sure if they would do that or if it would be cost effective. Even if they did it for $5.00, it's bullshit you have to spend money or time on the stock that was mis-represented to you. . . . .

2nd easiest would be to remove some material and re-bed to correct dims.

Worst and least likely to succeed would be trying to strip back down to the original mini-chassis.*
*Who knows what you would find when you get it uncovered. It may have been "roughed up" beyond anything close to new.

Shipping his stock to me would be like handing over the United States to Joe Biden.
Guaranteed fuckup prolly.

It could be done by any competent shop that does good bedding and stock work.
Just not my shop.
Or me. . . . I'm not real smart and already can barely handle what is on my plate.
For what I would have to charge, he could purchase a new stock.

Easiest (for the OP) would be if MCS could remove the entire mini-chassis and bond in a new one. Not sure if they would do that or if it would be cost effective. Even if they did it for $5.00, it's bullshit you have to spend money or time on the stock that was mis-represented to you. . . . .

2nd easiest would be to remove some material and re-bed to correct dims.

Worst and least likely to succeed would be trying to strip back down to the original mini-chassis.*
*Who knows what you would find when you get it uncovered. It may have been "roughed up" beyond anything close to new.
But if he is really lucky it might pop out with a screw driver. I have popped out a couple barely bonded bedding jobs on hs precision bedding blocks. I think I got a tang bedded mini chassis manners once and that bedding popped out.

This right here is why I rarely buy anything second hand. If I bought a mini chassis that was stated to not have been bedded and they did indeed remove material and bed it, I'd be getting my money back. There is no reason to have fucked with that, even less reason to be deceptive about it.

@DR0331 Care to clear this up? Looks like it's your chassis he bought.
Here’s the for sale post, if @DR0331 was the seller.

Sorta weird he isn’t popping in to to say yea or nay, as he was online 10min ago.

Hope stuff was in writing. Maybe there was some miscommunication.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
Just to echo what's been said. That mini chassis has been bedded and will require removal of the bedding material and bedding of your action. If there was a way to only remove the bedding material without changing the original mini chassis dimensions, that would work....but there's just no way that will happen even with the best cnc program.

If it was advertised as a mini chassis without bedding (or just as a mini chassis......as omitting the bedding is the same and advertising it without), I would at a minimum get reimbursed for the cost (and time you'll be without) of the removal and new bedding. That's if you aren't planning on selling it down the road and/or don't mind dealing with letting a new buyer know it was bedded. At that point, you'd just want to send it back and be reimbursed.

And also to echo, you'll need to find a shop that 1) does this kind of work often and/or 2) can do it in a timely enough fashion they wouldn't have to charge you much more than it's worth. Unfortunately, many shops have things they already do in a timely manner they can't take on speciality work they aren't set up for specifically without charging the customer too much. There's plenty of shops/people who could do this very well, you just have to find one that can also charge the proper amount that both sides benefit.

Reactions: blkqi
Maybe a call into Manners to see if it will ruin anything if you used a heat gun to remove the mini chassis? Here is a thread on another site where a guy removed the mini chassis....
If others are having trouble getting through to their CS with legitimate questions, you can lay the blame on customers that tie up their comms with this stupidity.

Do you honestly think Manners or any other manufacturer would give a thumbs-up to using a heat gun to remove the single largest component in one of their carbon fiber stocks?
Delamination, warping, shrinkage, expansion, discoloration..... ?

Not to mention that the mini-chassis resides in the weakest area of the stock with the thinnest cross sections. So... yeah... this is a GREAT idea!
Let's heat the whole area enough to break the block loose and expect the stock to be on point when FrankenSmith is done transplanting that brain.

And the thread from the other forum is some ghetto shit.
They post pics of a mini-chassis that likely left the original stock worthless, nobody grasps what the crossbolts are for and at least one person in that thread has no clue how well a properly designed chassis can perform.

Here’s the for sale post, if @DR0331 was the seller.

Sorta weird he isn’t popping in to to say yea or nay, as he was online 10min ago.

Hope stuff was in writing. Maybe there was some miscommunication.

Even if the buyer didn’t ask and the seller didn’t say, it should have been mentioned in the ad. That’s a huge detail and seems deceptive to me.

If others are having trouble getting through to their CS with legitimate questions, you can lay the blame on customers that tie up their comms with this stupidity.

Do you honestly think Manners or any other manufacturer would give a thumbs-up to using a heat gun to remove the single largest component in one of their carbon fiber stocks?
Delamination, warping, shrinkage, expansion, discoloration..... ?

Not to mention that the mini-chassis resides in the weakest area of the stock with the thinnest cross sections. So... yeah... this is a GREAT idea!
Let's heat the whole area enough to break the block loose and expect the stock to be on point when FrankenSmith is done transplanting that brain.

And the thread from the other forum is some ghetto shit.
They post pics of a mini-chassis that likely left the original stock worthless, nobody grasps what the crossbolts are for and at least one person in that thread has no clue how well a properly designed chassis can perform.

I said similar in that linked thread but people believe what they want. Let them waste their money.

Reactions: Terry Cross
I bought a Whiskey 3 (or maybe another iteration) to be used for a 338 Lapua Magnum Improved. I dropped it off with the "reputable" builder because he wanted to shoot it in the stock to verify before he handed to me. The dipshit bedded the Whiskey. I have left it alone but basically that chassis is fit to that one action. Fucking retard. He has had plenty of bad reviews.

Last edited:
I bought a Whiskey 3 (or maybe another iteration) to be used for a 338 Lapua Magnum Improved. I dropped it off with the "reputable" builder because he wanted to shoot it in the stock to verify before he handed to me. The dipshit bedded the Whiskey. I have left it alone but basically that chassis is fit to that one action. Fucking retard. He has had plenty of bad reviews.
Someone else around here had a gunsmith who wanted to bed a W3 and I told him to not do it. PM me his name, if you won’t mind. I want to avoid.

Reactions: Aftermath

That's unfortunate. There's a case to be made for bedding pretty much anything. But you definitely shouldn't be doing it without customer's approval.

Dont remove material from your action. Please shoot me a DM with your contact information, i will give you a buzz and walk you thru it, it is not the end of the world, it's just basic gunsmithing. By your photo, It looks like the front contact points of the chassis have been ground before it was bedded. If these contact points have been altered or knocked down, we will need to make sure that everything sits as it should, correct if needed, then it will just need to be bedded again. Do not use a heat gun to heat up the chassis to remove the bedding. The material around the chassis is a composite material. If the material is heated to high temps say over 300 degrees you could run the change of having the chassis shift location in the stock.

Guys, please if you have a issue with a manufacture, please reach out to that manufacture for advice. Manners stocks carry a lifetime warranty. We are slammed like most gun parts rifle manufactures, if one of the customer service people are on another call, please leave a message. Voicemail is checked the following morning, and they should get back to you that day. You can also, always shoot me a pm or tell office you need a call back from me. I will get back to you asap and get you taken carer of.

Thank you.

Last edited: