• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Action Screws / Pillars for Savage Builds

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Getting ready to assemble a Savage build, bought a model 12 SS Varmint action with DBM from Northland.
    I just bought a laminate stock for this, but plan on making a custom one using the purchased one on the stock duplicator for the inletting.

To the question:
    Action screws- I'm measuring the depth of the stock at the front screw at 0.475", and the rear right at 1".

I'm finding conflicting info online about screw size and pitch- 1/4"/28 and 12/32 among them.

Anyone know the correct info, shank size, thread pitch and length needed for the S/A, centerfeed DBM action??

Maybe I should buy this one...for $10,000

https://store.savagearms.com/rear-action-screw-212-220.html

All seem to be out of stock everywhere, and they specify length for wood stock as being different. I can't see how in the hell the stock material matters, the DBM has to fit the same no matter what the stock material is. How would the action know whether it's sitting in laminate, or composite?

Then there's pillars, I see them for sale at Stocky's, but again they don't specify length. Guess I'll just make them...

Appreciate the info if anyone has it!

Last edited:
    Thanks...
    1/4-28 should be easy enough to get at the local Ace.
    I'll just make the pillars because it looks like the commercial ones are made for blind mags.

I bought the same action you did from Jim also along with a shilen bbl. It's a 6.5 cm and will put 5 factory 140 amax in the same hole at 100 yds.
    What caliber is yours going to be? Interested to hear how it turns out.

Krak,
    Barrel is .260 Match...
    Gotta have the stock made for it by the time my son gets home for President's Day.

Mo, thanks- but I can tell the pillars in the third link are too long (front screw is less than 1/2") and not sure about the rear. DBM inletting is different than the more common blind mag, and the Midway screws don't specify. But heck, I can pick up 1/4" fine thread stainless at the local hardware store.

Krak,
    Barrel is .260 Match...
    Gotta have the stock made for it by the time my son gets home for President's Day.

Mo, thanks- but I can tell the pillars in the third link are too long (front screw is less than 1/2") and not sure about the rear. DBM inletting is different than the more common blind mag, and the Midway screws don't specify. But heck, I can pick up 1/4" fine thread stainless at the local hardware store.

You can always shorten the pillars with a file ... I make my own on a mini-lathe.