• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Adding an Adjustable Cheek Piece

mac37

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Is it possible to add an adjustable cheek piece to an existing stock?
I have a R700 in a bedded HS Precision Sporter stock and would like to use it for some tactical shooting but need to raise the cheek piece for a good weld. I've seen the Karsten unit but not sure if this is the only way to go.

Re: Adding an Adjustable Cheek Piece

you could try an eagle stock pack, but i have gone the way of the Karsten, and it is a good way. Easy to install too!

I believe the HS you have is hollow in the buttstock portion (you can remove the recoil pad to check), which makes for a simple install of the Karsten because you don't have to worry about drilling a hole straight all the way through to the other side. Just slide cheek rest on the stock where you'd like it, make sure there is enough room to completely remove bolt without having to remove the cheek rest, and then use the cheek rest to mark position where you'd need to drill holes on each side. After that is done then it is straight forward from there to install the bolts and adjustment knob.

If I missed anything here someone please chime in. Thanks.

On HSP stocks there is a hollow cavity in the butt, I suggest you fill that cavity with lead shot and epoxy, then install a Limbsaver, Karstens Cheek Pieces are easy to install, just don't drill all the way thru, drill from each side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Karstens Cheek Pieces are easy to install, just don't drill all the way thru, drill from each side. </div></div>
+1. I have installed several of the Karsten cheek pieces, and they are pretty easy. I like them a lot.

Another +1 for the karstens cheek piece, great product, good price, easy to install if you take your time, and performs great.

On the somewhat paranoid level most B&C/HS stocks have some amount of fiberglass in them and that stuff is nothing you want to breathe in, so it's a good idea to wear at least some type of dust mask, and either do it somewhere you can easily clean up the mess.

+1 on what ToddM says, although you should drill at a slow rpm to give the drillbit time to cut, instead of just punching through, you'll get a cleaner hole, and the drill won't want to "walk" all over the place, not to mention slower drill speed = less dust flying around, and easier cleanup

Thanks for all the replies. Besides the Karsten, is there anyway to install the Warner Tool thumbwheel cheekpiece? Or, does this have to be done when the stock is molded?

Just by looking at the warner tool page, I think you could, but it would be a lot of work, you'd have to use a bandsaw or similar to remove the section of the stock you wanted to be able to adjust. Then epoxy the lower and upper sections of the warner hardware into the voids in the stock and cheek piece.

Also and possibly task prohibitive issue is I'm not exactly sure where the AL subframe of the HS/B&C style stocks ends, if it extends into the main stock area under the cheek piece at all then you might have to mill that out as well to make room for the adjustment hardware.

Part the comb with a slitting saw in a mill.
Inlet the stock in the mill for the Warner Tool Co. Thumb Wheel Cheek piece Hardware.
Removable without adjustment,Returns to location for easy bolt removal,Cast On/Cast Off Adjustable.

WTC manufactured rifles/hardware are second to NONE.

Tupperware/plastics belongs in the kitchen!!!!

had a karsten on my old stock, for a 200.00 stock another 135.00 just seems dumb, if you were willing to pay for the WTC one why didn't you just get the B&C A5 fully adjustable for like 50.00 more. it would be less of a pain in the ass, and no work to fuck up
P2080555.jpg
P2080558.jpg
P3210581.jpg
P3210582.jpg

Those that can't drill two holes & insert 2 carriage bolts w/knobs on the correct side of the stock would assume 100+ dollars for thumb wheel cheek piece hardware too expensive-
Seams the thumb screw knobs of your Tupperware cheekpiece are installed ass backwards.
Or do you adjust them with your chin during your cheek weld??

i shoot left handed, but i am right handed and cycle the bolt with my right hand as well. having the knobs on the left hand side of my stock kinda makes things easier to keep the fucking knobs off of my chin, and out of my way when i cycle the bolt