• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adjustable elevation rails, Cold Shot vs WR Precision

Biscuits

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
Looking for user opinions on adjustable scope bases for ELR. I'm in Europe and the locally available adjustable bases are Cold Shot and WR Precision. This will go first on a 22LR for 500+ meters, then on a 6.5CM (or a .30 magnum if I buy one) once I work to past 1700 meters, which hasn't happened yet.

Mainly interested on if it will hold the dialled in elevation and if everything is repeatable, if I return the elevation to zero then dial it back in.

Here's some Mark and Sam After Work reviews on the both of them.
Cold Shot
First few mins of the video, he has mixed feelings about the Cold Shot

Although this is a 2017 video; Cold Shot are up to Gen 4 now so maybe they have addressed the complaints.
Cold Shot mrab-gen-4-rear-iso_1.jpg

WR Precision

WR-Precision-Pro-ELR-80-MIL-RAD-MRAD-Adjustable-Sight-Base-Mount-WR-ELRB-MRAD--1__41935.163059...jpg

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
You might also consider the Era-Tac version which is made in Germany; a very solid unit.

Reactions: gnochi
I have used both the Cold shot and the Ivey mount. I found both of them to repeatable. The main difference is scope height. With the CS the scope sits much higher above the rifle. The Ivey sits lower and requires less movement of the head up to compensate to get into the scope eye box. The WR looks to be the same height wise.

Reactions: newageroman
On the Cold Shot being repeatable, isn’t it a screw which sets the elevation when you turn the dial?

If so, how do you avoid slop in the screw and why doesn’t it move or rotate a bit under recoil?

I wish a guy could test these out before buying. If adjustable was the choice I'd go Ivey for sure. Once my EFR shows up I am going to order a Charlie Micro to get to my goal of 2 miles.

You might also consider the Era-Tac version which is made in Germany; a very solid unit.

Last weekend I took my Era Tac out for the first time other than zeroing it at 100. I only had access to an 850 yard target, so could only test the 5 mil setting, but it was dead-on and repeatable.

Reactions: Sc0-
I'm running the Ivey on 6.5CM mostly. I haven't had it long, but its awesome. Having down to 2.5 MOA hashes helps. I basically just dial base and hold reticle. Another ELR shooter said the up elevation at ELR distances can be un reliable.
I can't say I've tried any other adjustable units, hopefully I won't have to. they sold ~300 units last year so some people are using them. They are US based so shipping might be an issue for you. hence the European options.

The story on the cold shots is essentially the first gen had about .007 movement sideways and .009 vertically measuring at the end of my scope with a test indicator bearing in mind at the time was for novice shooting and did allow anyone to go long range cheap with any scope they may have but way way too much movement , and each generation has got better meaning tighter and beefier up to gen 4, the latest generation has .001 up and down slop and sideways about .001 stress induced return, unstressed return was was .0005. This is the sum of all clearances of all the connections of the parts. from a machinist standpoint that is pretty freaking good, I agree .001 is still too much . The dial is spot on in moa through the whole adjustment so it works well for elr, so for supreme accuracy in comps I make a simple lock out for the cold shot that has worked well. it brings the slop in both planes to zero with stressed return to .0001-.0002. which is tight enough for competition. I have had it on my 375 for years and it was always spot on when it came to adjusting. You do not need a wrench to lock it which is also nice The Tacom new prism is tier one nice and cold shots are cheap and they need to have a lock out to work in competition in my opinion. So the question is how much money do you want to spend?

Last edited:
^^^ what he said makes sense to me. the lockout I think is key in these adjustable bases. the ivey has locknut. I'd consider the cold shot if it had a good lock down.

The story on the cold shots is essentially the first gen had about .007 movement sideways and .009 vertically measuring at the end of my scope with a test indicator bearing in mind at the time was for novice shooting and did allow anyone to go long range cheap with any scope they may have but way way too much movement , and each generation has got better meaning tighter and beefier up to gen 4, the latest generation has .001 up and down slop and sideways about .001 stress induced return, unstressed return was was .0005. This is the sum of all clearances of all the connections of the parts. from a machinist standpoint that is pretty freaking good, I agree .001 is still too much . The dial is spot on in moa through the whole adjustment so it works well for elr, so for supreme accuracy in comps I make a simple lock out for the cold shot that has worked well. it brings the slop in both planes to zero with stressed return to .0001-.0002. which is tight enough for competition. I have had it on my 375 for years and it was always spot on when it came to adjusting. You do not need a wrench to lock it which is also nice The Tacom new prism is tier one nice and cold shots are cheap and they need to have a lock out to work in competition in my opinion. So the question is how much money do you want to spend?
Thanks for the write up. Those slop values, are they in inches, eg 0.009 inch? Do you know what that translates to in miliradians of elevation or windage slop?

Thanks for the write up. Those slop values, are they in inches, eg 0.009 inch? Do you know what that translates to in miliradians of elevation or windage slop?
They are just measurements from the front of the scope which hangs out in front of the cold shot by 6 inches using a test indicator that reads to 1 10/1000th of an inch. The slop in the cold shot I am sure is considerably less at the point of pivot , because I am measuring at the objective lens of the scope this is only a comparative measurement not absolute.

Tim in Tx

Last edited:
I saw a video a while ago of a guy testing an Ivey base with a dial indicator, he dialed 50moa and that was .064" so 1 moa is roughly .0013" but that was measured at the back scope cap. That would be increased substantially at the objective. here is the video if anyone cares Ivey base test

Reactions: newageroman
I'll buy one of the Coldshot or WR Precision elevating rails on Black Friday and try it out starting on a T1x 22LR. I don't think I will be able to leave it on permanently as it will raise the scope, making the comb too high. I can fix the comb height for prone shooting, but this is also a general purpose rifle which I shoot offhand. So the rail can only stay on when I am doing 22LR ELR work.

Just wondering how repeatable my zero is likely to be when taking the scope on and off. Have reasonable quality scope rings and use a torque wrench.