• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"adult" air rifle

garythenuke

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2005
paso robles california
I am in the market for a high powered pellet rifle for my son. It will be a .22 cal side lever or under barrel cocking style. I am aware of the necessity of putting a proper scope on a high powered air rifle like this. It will be a long range-ish squirrel, prairie dog and varmint eliminator. Of course there will be a large amount of paper cutting too.

So, what are some good places to order from? I have NO stores in my area that carry such things.

I have my sights set on an RWS 460 magnum.

Does anyone have experience with this rifle? Does anyone have any experience with what scope fits well with the geometry of the rifle? Or air rifle scopes in general?
Thanks for anyone's input .

Re: "adult" air rifle

I haven't bought from here yet but a buddy of mine has several times and likes the company. http://www.pyramydair.com/

You might want to check out nitro piston guns. Something like this. http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Trail_NP_XL/2052 They are supposed to be about 80% quieter than a springer and not bounce as much either. When shooting a spring piston air rifle you need to hold them lightly or they tend to bounce off your structure. Holding them kinda loose is the way to go. I hope to try one out in the next week or two.

If you're set on a springer take a look at Beemans line of guns. I know a couple of guys that swear by them. I don't know what models they are shooting except that they are on the higher price range. If interested I can find out the model #s.

I shoot an old Gamo Hunter that was made in Spain. It's an awesome rifle. This has been my Tree Rat killer for about the last 8 years. Unfortunately they are now made in China and have turned to crap.

Hope this helps,
Jacob

I have an old anschutz sidelever .177 cal, maybe mod 450, the # is stamped under the scope and hard to read.
The velocity is not real high but that heads off leading problems.
The trigger is top notch, along with excellent barrel and stock.
The real beauty of this rifle is twin, opposing spring loaded pistons conteract each other with zero recoil.
Having experience with RWS diana rifles chewing through scopes this rifle is great!
A person would need lots of freidcraft to ever kill a Pdog, but the lowley gopher is fair game.
A local ranch manager lets me sneak through the corrals with this air gun, when the corrals have livestock in them.
Picked up the rifle used at local gunshow equiped with anschutz peep sights. Sold the sights, that made the purchase very economical.

I have an RWS model 48 for a very long time now and just yesterday night ordered a Benjamin PCP Marauder from PyramydAir. They have already shipped it early this morning so they are darn sure on the ball.

How big is the kid?
Supermagnum springers require significant strength to cock.
.22 is the way to go in these supermagnums.
Look at the Air Arms TX200, a little less powerful than the 460, but silky smooth. It's THE springer for fieldtarget or silhouette in .177. In .22 a great field gun.
Any airgun rated scope will serve, a smaller rather than larger one will tolerate recoil better and be easier to keep from moving around.
A solid mount like B-Square or Leaper's weaver adapter is key.
Pyramid is OK.
Any match sidelever like Anschutz or RWS sidelever is unsuitable for game over 20yd or so due to muzzle velocities under 600fps with 8gr pellets= 6ft/lb energy. Sometimes won't exit a squirrel's head.

I've been shooting air rifles for more than 30 years and they definitely have their uses. Within their effective range, they are very accurate. However, spring Piston air rifles are VERY hold sensitive, but are accurate if you do your part and can teach one a lot about ballistics....

I started with a Daisy model 94 BB gun in the late 60's (used it so much the receiver broke) and I killed more than 400 starlings and blackbirds at home with it (my job was to keep them out of the garden and the fruit trees). Learned a lot about stalking, patience, hold-over, etc. with it. I remember I could see the BB's in the air. Most of the starlings were taken at less than 15 yards.

Saved my money and moved up to a Beeman HW30S in 1975 or so and couldn't believe the accuracy-it was a lot faster than the Daisy was, although at around 650 fps not really speedy either, but I did kill a crow with it at 27 yards (head shot). I graduated to an Beeman R8 in '83, had to replace the mainspring with it twice, and now has over 14,500 pellets through it. It's around 780 fps and pellets would go through a squirrel at 20 yards or less.

Now my go to air rifle is an Air Arms TX200 in .177 (around 950 fps with 8 grain pellets). Boringly accurate. Shots at 30 yards or less are easy. I've taken starlings as far as 64 yards with it ('bout all I can get distance wise without creating neighbor issues) and my hold was around an 1-1/2" to the right because of wind that day. Taken both squirrels and rabbits, but keep those shots at 35 yards or less just to be sure it is humane.

For power, I'd love to get a Theoben Eliminator (Beeman Crow Magnum) in .22 - it's about 850 fps with 14-15 grain pellets. It is a gas ram, rather than spring piston. Have a friend with one and it's a great shooter. BUT here's a caution ....the more powerful, the harder to cock. The Theoben takes around 50 pounds of force to cock. Doesn't sound like much, but do it for a number of shots and it adds up quickly!

Oh, if you look at the velocities people are getting in real life with the RWS 460, it's also around 800-850 with 12-14 grain pellets. Here's a test of the RWS 460 It is advertised to have 36 pounds of cocking effort required.

I am considering one of the new "nitro piston" air rifles to try them out...if you check out Pyramid Air's website, you can get them from Crosman, Benjamin, even Gamo, and have some pretty good velocities.

For more velocity, you'll have to go to the Pre-charged air rifles.

Just my two cents worth.

I have an RWS 52 and it is very loud, and heavy but is very accurate and has some pretty serious snap to it. I would not hesitate to get another.

Thanks a bunch for all the input fellas. My son is 15 and strong as an ox. Now my motivation for working out is to stay ahead of him... I will certainly take a close look at those other models mentioned. I really like the look of the Nitro Piston rifles.

Tell me though, doesn't having a break barrel mess with consistent accuracy? It seems that unless you get the barrel back exactly where it needs to be every time you will have accuracy issues, especially with a scope. This is why I am leaning towards a side lever or under lever configuration.

I've had several break-barrels over the years. A Gamo, and a few Beeman's and have never been impressed with any of their accuracy, or power. I guess I'm spoiled from shooting starlings, ect. with .22 out to 50 yards, where I used to live, and now that I'm in the city, can't seem to hit consistantly at 25 yards with any of the air rifles I've tried. I've read articles on some of the pre-charged, air rifles, and some of them sound pretty interesting, but, noise is also a factor.

The PCP rifles are much quieter than the spring guns like the RWS. The Marauder that I just got is so quiet that you won't be able to effectively hear it shoot from more than a few yards away. You can search youtube for the MArauder and listen to it shoot. That factors into the reason for getting the Marauder. Exceptionally quiet, very accurate and a good value for the money spent and made here in the USA. Dime sized or less groups at 50 yards is fully expected from it.

The break barrel design can have an effect on a scope as you do often have "barrel droop". However, if you get a quality rifle, they are accurate and "barrel droop" if present, isn't usually noticeable. Like I said, I've got more than 14,000 shots through a break barrel and have no problems shooting through the scope.

As to barrels, many of the better air rifles have Anschutz or Walther barrels.

Biggest disadvantage to PCP (pre-charged pneumatic) is the infrastructure to support-i.e., scuba tank and or pump, hose, regulators, etc. which can add several hundred dollars to the cost of the rifle. But once you have all of that, they are quiet, fast, and accurate.

I have 2 of them
first a Feinwerkebau 300 springer single cock .177rd shoots about 650 fps

Then from Airguns of Arizona bought .22 3000 psi rifle 10 shot cyclone. its shooting a .22 pellet at 1000 fps

PCP (precharged pneumatic, charged from a SCUBA tank) are NOT quiet, unless fitted with a suppressor, or integral "shroud".
Most sound about like a long barreled .22 shooting standard velocity ammo.

How many shots per charge do you get in that Cyclone @1000fps?

The PCP Marauder is shrouded and it is very very quiet. You will not find a spring gun that is as quiet. My RWS does indeed sound like a 22 LR and the recoil on it is substantial for an air gun. Having to buy the equipment to charge one is something one has to consider cause even just the hand pump is a couple hundred buck.

I bought a Beeman R-11 through Straight Shooters (www.straightshooters.com). That was a couple of years ago but I still spend time on thier forums and checking out the air guns. Good luck.

I have bought several guns from Straightshooters. They are top notch and will anwerser any questions you have from them.

garythenuke,

Lot's of good info here and some not so good. You need to educate yourself before spending big bucks on an air rifle. Here's a couple of forums you can browse.

Air Gun Advice

Yellow Forum

The Yellow Forum has several manufacturers listed that have their own child forums, Gamo, Chinese, Crosman/Benjamin, etc. Also the have a classified where many good deals can be found once you know what to look for. The BOI is the same as the "Good Guy List" here on the Hide.

Finally is Brad Troyer's American Airgun site. Lot's of information and links here, as well as another classified section. This should get you started.

American Airguns

I've owned many adult air rifles and can make recommendations but they will mean more when you have some knowledge under you belt.

Paul

Wow, thank you again. I really do appreciate all of your efforts. This purchase is a few months out, so I have time to self-smart myself on this...

All the best and Happy Saturday!

I used to shoot a Tech Force 99, in .22 caliber, and it went supersonic with .22 pellets that weren't real heavy. It was a real powerhouse, and accurate if you held it right. I shot many possums, squirrels, raccoons, rabbits, and nuisance birds with it. After deer season I took a doe head and tested the Tech Force on it, it went clean through the skull and everything in between.

I shot thousands of pellets through it, and the mainspring eventually gave out. They wanted $25 to fix it, but it's so much easier to just use a 22 with CB's and not have to go through the motions of cocking the gun and showing everything where you are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garythenuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I am in the market for a high powered pellet rifle for my son. It will be a .22 cal side lever or under barrel cocking style. I am aware of the necessity of putting a proper scope on a high powered air rifle like this. It will be a long range-ish squirrel, prairie dog and varmint eliminator. Of course there will be a large amount of paper cutting too.

So, what are some good places to order from? I have NO stores in my area that carry such things.

I have my sights set on an RWS 460 magnum.

Does anyone have experience with this rifle? Does anyone have any experience with what scope fits well with the geometry of the rifle? Or air rifle scopes in general?
Thanks for anyone's input . </div></div>

As far as springers the TX200 is the best thing going as a good balance of accuracy and power.Some of the more powerful springers have a violent recoil impulse that tend to make them harder to shoot/less accurate.

Pellet guns shoot best below sonic.So for more powerful rifles choose a heavier pellet.You will also find less wind drift,drop but more energy at the longer distances.

PCP's are really a whole nother animal.IMO...They are superior to me for a number of reasons and vastly easier to shoot.

You don't realize how nice PCP's are until you shoot one.What a pleasure they are!!!

That Maruader that ARP is talking about is the best bang for the buck of any PCP that I know of.My friend and I were quite impressed with what his was capable of especially for the money.It wasn't too far behind our $2000 Field Target rifles.

Here's my wifes Mac1 USFT and it's test target.The pellets were not sorted and it was not shot in a machine rest.12 shots at 51 yards.

DSC00115.jpg
DSC00112.jpg

The Airforce Talon SS impresses me quite a bit. It'll drive a crossman premier .22 14.9gr pellet at about 850 fps within a nickle at 50yds. It'll take rabbits and squirrels out to about 75yds. The ss has a 18" barrel with a shroud covering about 6" that you can pack with washers and spacers for a silencing effect. They are highly tinkerable as well:

http://www.airforceairguns.com/talonss.html

My over zealous mods:
talonss.jpg

Thanks for all these links. Some of them entirely new for me and I enjoy reading. I ought to have that Marauder by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...these are pretty adult...

</div></div>

Indeed...
I am hoping for a single stroke rifle. I'd rather not have to pump, prime, or have a spare pressurized tank. Those are impressive rifles though...

After having springers, I ended up with PCPs. I used this gun for a few years as my main hunter. It is an Air Arms S410E .22cal. 10 shot rotary mag.
with a 35 yd. zero I was holding on the top line and moving to the different distances.
SScott
PCP.jpg

Great inputs fellas. I think I've settled on Straight Shooters. I've traded a few (well okay a bunch) of e-mails with Kevin there and he is very patient. I'm going to stay with the 460, and take his recommendation on a scope and mount. There are lots of things I did not realize about air rifles and barrel drop (apparently unavoidable), and break in and all that.

Honestly I think I am having as much fun chasing my prey as my son will when he gets it...
wink.gif

Sunnyside, JSB .22 heavies?
Pretty impressive.
You must have the velocity cranked WAY up.
How fast and how many shots per charge?

<span style="font-weight: bold">frog5215</span>
They were the 15.9 grain, as I remember them. I would get 3 full mags before pressure drop would become noticable. I was running around 34 FPE.
I sold that gun and my main hunting air rifle is an FX Super Swift . 22 cal. You gotta love these Adult Air rifles.
SScott

Gamo are in the middle of the market. Quite different from many of the rifles mentioned here and I wouldn't get one unless you really can't afford something better.

Wind is a huge issue with Air guns. Also consider unless you have a PCP or multiple shot gun you have ONE shot. Rabbits are as large as I would consider with any "normal" air gun.

Sunnyside,Good information,,I was looking at these as well along with the AA S200,,Just wanted to ask about the noise with the surpressed barrels ,,if the noise is excessive I'll continue with the CCI CB Caps,,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AML50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sunnyside,Good information,,I was looking at these as well along with the AA S200,,Just wanted to ask about the noise with the surpressed barrels ,,if the noise is excessive I'll continue with the CCI CB Caps,, </div></div>

An S200 with a moderator/suppressor will be extremely quiet and much more accurate than CB caps.They are a great value too.Just a little down on power compared to most PCP's.I think 12-14 ftlbs.

I forgot to mention the Benjamin Discovery.They are inexpensive and you can use CO2 as well as compressed air.Another friend I have owns one that gets 1.5" groups at 50Y.

I'm enjoying this thread!Anyone one else want to put pics up of their air guns?

Steve

It doesn't take much to be more accurate than cb caps, or, Aguila Colibri's.

My Maurader or MROD as I have found out they are more commonly called will arrive today. The CenterPoint 4 - 16 x56 IR MD scope for it already arrived so I will get it put together and get some pics of it and run it through the paces to see what it can do and then DuraCoat it up all nice and pretty and camo get some pics of the whole thing completed targets and all.

To answer the question as to how loud they are, a PCP with a shrouded barrel will be a lot more quiet than a .22 shooting CB's, and at 50 yards at least 1/2" groups. I will dig through my old air rifle data tonight and post some targets.
Here is an Adult air rifle, it is a Daystate MK3, it was in the first group that came to the US. I sold it a few years ago to fund the center fires. Enjoy.
SScott
Daystate1.jpg

Sweet rifle!

I got a couple friends that have those.Very fast lock time and incredibly nice firing impulse,super ergonomics!
The only thing I don't like about them is how far back the bolt goes.My sisterinlaw keeps getting pellets back in the bolt mechanism,LOL.

Thanks for the pics

Steve

Once you start looking more into this world the more you start realizing the sheer magnitude of gun nutz hahahaha

Heck, I am just wanting to shoot some starlings and squirrels, at least for now. I hope I don't get all caught up in this and have to buy a REAL PCP rifle.

Haha,

Welcome to a whole nother world! PCP air rifles.Only true Gun nutz have PCP's
wink.gif
LOL

You will soon find out that starlings and squirrels are way too large.

I used to shoot stink bugs out to 60-70Y with my PCP's,LOL.Yes I was bored that day but it was still loads of fun.

The impression of shooting at "walking minutia" with PCP's at those distances is an interesting feeling.It makes you feel like you're a Carlos hathcock
laugh.gif

I can't wait to see your MROD all tacticooled out.

Steve

Well this is what it looks like out of the box. First impressions of the whole rig are good. If it shoots as good as I have read from some then I will feel as if I got a good value for the price for sure. the scope ended up mounted a bit too high, but I wasn't sure to get high or mediums. I am gonna try some mediums to see if that will move scope down without whacking the tube.

BenjaminMarauder.jpg

ARP,

What pellets did you get to shoot out of it?

Some of my favorites are JSB's,Beemann Kodiak match,H&N Barracuda and Crossman Premier.The Premiers need to be weight sorted and skirts checked.Some lots/molds are really inconsistent.

That is a good looking rifle!

Steve

steve, all I have right now are the ones they sent as part of the kit. Some Crosman premiers and Benjamin "hollow points" I charged up this gun and put 10 benjamin rounds through it with 3 shots just to be shooting and the 7 remaining in the clip at a piece of cardboard at 10 yards. My first shot across the ground was taken and I really would not have known the gun actually shot except for the impact of the pellet on the ground. All I heard at all was a poooinnng noise like a spring. No shot noise, no air noise, no nothing, just pooooinnng and the pellet hitting the ground was much louder than the shot itself. Not sure a person standing to the side would hear much of anything at all. This was surprising to me. I had read that it was quiet, but this was a bit ridiculous. The 7 shots at 10 yards from from a non rear supported bipod off my workbench in the shop to where the starlings generally land all went into the same ragged hole. There is absolutely no movement on the gun on the shot. You can sort of feel the vibration which is associated with the poooinnng noise, but this ain't nothing like an RWS springer. We are gonna get along just fine. It took me near 200 pumps though to get it charged from the bottom. Won't take nearly so much to maintain though.

Now you're seeing part of what I've been trying to explain about PCP's.Wait until you get more time behind the trigger with it.You'll continue to be impressed.

I bet you were tired of pumping for the initial fill!You don't have any dive shops or Fireman friends close by to fill a scuba tank?

Have fun and go kill something.Keep us posted.

Steve

heck I need the exercise, but at some point I will be checking into a tank of some kind. After the first fill it won't be near so bad. I will be working on getting it tuned up a bit and see what it likes to shoot and all that jazz and then learn to shoot it well and then paint it all up camo and start killing stuff this spring.

I had to dig out an old target that I shot indoors, from a portable bench, front bag and my fist under the stock. This from my current hunter, and FX SuperSwift in .22 cal. it has 3 power settings. The gun did not like the low power at that distance. The first two groups are both 8 shots (the size of the magazine).
Knowing the people on this site, if you get into air rifles, you will soon be shooting a PCP.
Superswifttgt.jpg