• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice for short-barreled threaded 6.5 creedmoor for hunting suppressed

Dakotabob

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2018
Midwest
I am looking for a short-barreled threaded 6.5 creedmoor for hunting suppressed. I already have a .308 and am looking to try a 6.5. Hoping to find something lightweight but very high quality with a great trigger and stock. I'm aware of the Bergara Ridge SP, Remington SPS Tactical, Ruger Am. Hunter and Barrett Fieldcraft. I'd be grateful to learn what else is out there. Thank you

Some good ideas in this thread https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...hreaded-short-barreled-6-5-creedmoor.6986814/

You say light weight but you have several decidedly NOT light weight options listed such as... all of them aside from the fieldcraft.

And the field craft webpage now has this on it so snag one quick if you want it before they become as scarce as hens teeth.
1581715681949.png

Its also the only one that I would say is "high quality" in those you listed as options.

Last edited:
I’m in the exact same boat. Looking for a 20” barrel 6.5 CM for hunting and dipping my toe in the long range game.

Debating between a Tikka CTR and Rem 700 SPS but also willing to do a custom build.

Spife I appreciate your post. You're right, all those I mentioned except the Barrett Fieldcraft are getting up there in weight. I'm not a fan of the Fieldcraft's stock design but otherwise the rifle looks sweet. Any other options in the same league as the Barrett that I'm missing? I did check out Steyr THB but in 6.5 the shortest barrel is 25". YotaEer I have a Tikka CTR 20" in .308, its really nice. But I find it too long w/the suppressor on, I'm hoping for an 18" in 6.5

Reactions: YotaEer
Spife I appreciate your post. You're right, all those I mentioned except the Barrett Fieldcraft are getting up there in weight. I'm not a fan of the Fieldcraft's stock design but otherwise the rifle looks sweet. Any other options in the same league as the Barrett that I'm missing? I did check out Steyr THB but in 6.5 the shortest barrel is 25". YotaEer I have a Tikka CTR 20" in .308, its really nice. But I find it too long w/the suppressor on, I'm hoping for an 18" in 6.5

Thank you for the info. I don’t own any suppressors yet and believe my first will be the YHM resonator K which is a little under 6” with the QD Mount and 12 oz. 26” total doesn’t seem like much on paper but I have no experience here

I'm looking at the same thing. I'm leaning towards a Tikka T3X Lite or Superlite and having the barrel cut down to 17 inches and possibly threaded. I'm tired of lugging a twenty pound rifle into the woods.

Seventeen inches should be plenty for 3 to 400 yards where I hunt.

Being it would be dedicated deer killer, the suppressor isn't necessary, just a luxury. My deer stand is small and there's no room for a 26 inch barrel, especially if you include a 7.5" can.

I posted something very similar in the hunting forum about 6 weeks ago. I ended up having my T3x Lite in 6.5CM cut and threaded to 16.5". Yes, I will lose a bit of velocity going that short, but it's a hunting rifle not a 1000 yard range gun. I am being realistic about what I try to do with this, and I have a range gun for long range fun as well, so I didn't feel the need to play the "one gun does it all game."

Reactions: Guns&WhiteWater
I have a few chopped tikkas, a ctr in 6.5cm at 18”, a 243 at 18” and a 223 at 16.5”. A lite or ctr chopped to your desired length will make a great hunting rifle, with or with an upgraded stock.

if you feel like 20” plus can is too long for a hunting rifle (I tend to as well), you can always customize something, don’t have to settle for The factory offerings you mentioned

Last edited:
So I ended up wanting the same thing.
20" suppressed 6.5 CM, lightweight and accurate.
I found a real cheap 700 donor action for a build some time ago then traded some match 308 ammo for a Proof Carbon barrel. I had a local gunsmith true the action and spin up the barrel then dropped it into a used KRG Bravo I got here on the hide. Added a Trigger Tech special and a PST II, weighs in right at 12lbs.
Shoots between .5 and 3/4" most days with 140gr Hornady Black ammo.
I forget what the velocities are, but I have no problem hitting a 30" square gong at 920 yards.
Not counting the cost of the barrel, since I traded basically free ammo for it, I think im right at $1700 for the rifle.

I appreciate all these ideas. I like how you built your own Broncovan. If you were to do this again from scratch to make the best rifle possible what parts would you go with. Greywolf and TexLuke I see you like Tikkas, I like my CTR in 308 a lot. Hoping to experiment w/something new on this build. In my searches I found a few more factory setups. Kimber Adirondack comes in 6.5 creedmoor w/an 18" barrel. https://www.kimberamerica.com/adirondack Suppressor I use is the Surefire 300SPS. Should work well on 6.5
adirondack2016_main.png

Christensen Arms B.A. Tactical 6.5 Creedmoor 16"

christensen-arms-ba-tactical-16-rifle.jpg

So I ended up wanting the same thing.
20" suppressed 6.5 CM, lightweight and accurate.
I found a real cheap 700 donor action for a build some time ago then traded some match 308 ammo for a Proof Carbon barrel. I had a local gunsmith true the action and spin up the barrel then dropped it into a used KRG Bravo I got here on the hide. Added a Trigger Tech special and a PST II, weighs in right at 12lbs.
Shoots between .5 and 3/4" most days with 140gr Hornady Black ammo.
I forget what the velocities are, but I have no problem hitting a 30" square gong at 920 yards.
Not counting the cost of the barrel, since I traded basically free ammo for it, I think im right at $1700 for the rifle.
12 pounds fits your definition of lightweight? I want you on my next camping trip when I'm hiking and carrying stuff! I've got my T3x lite getting trimmed and threaded to 16.5" right now and I should have it all back together by the middle of the week. With a Vortex Razor HD LH, a basic set of Warne rings, and a Tikka Varmint stock, I believe it was around 8 pounds. I'll be subtracting 8" of barrel and adding in a suppressor, so I will provide an updated weight in a few days.

I keep thinking about this build and what I would do different.
The only reason I went with the Remmy 700 action is because I picked up a couple new rifles in 308 for $225 each out the door. From Pricks, I mean Dicks, closeouts when they cleared out their rifles.
I know, I know, but for that price,,,,,
So would I change actions? Maybe, but definitely not a Savage. I had one in a Manners stock with a Criterion barrel that I finally got tired of the ejection issues and gave that action away.
For the money, I think I would call Seekins and talk to them about a shorter Prohunter 2 or Bravo. They make them in 24", but I like the 20"length for what I want it for.

12 pounds fits your definition of lightweight? I want you on my next camping trip when I'm hiking and carrying stuff! I've got my T3x lite getting trimmed and threaded to 16.5" right now and I should have it all back together by the middle of the week. With a Vortex Razor HD LH, a basic set of Warne rings, and a Tikka Varmint stock, I believe it was around 8 pounds. I'll be subtracting 8" of barrel and adding in a suppressor, so I will provide an updated weight in a few days.
Which thread size did you go with considering the sporter weight barrel at 16.5”?

A buddy has a 20" 6.5 cm with proof barrel and it is so nice to point and shoot. Super light and still gets great velocity with the 130 bergers for hunting.

If you are a DIY sort, I would buy an action that Proof has prefit barrels for. You can get shouldered prefit barrels for Tikka, Bighorn, and another. You can buy Savage barrel nut prefits that will fit a number of actions. Use a carbon fiber stock. I like McMillan and AG Composites.

The other option is to go Remage with a Carbon six and put it on a Remington action.

Screw on the barrel and then pick your stock and trigger.

Q Fix 16” Creedmore.
I have the .308 with the surefire 300, and really enjoyed hunting with it last year. It carried well and I enjoyed the “sleekness” once I was in my stand. Dropping a nice old buck, so that helped seal the deal. Absolutely love the rifle.16442264-92FC-482E-A83B-B2AEF450B37A.jpeg

Thank you for the info. I don’t own any suppressors yet and believe my first will be the YHM resonator K which is a little under 6” with the QD Mount and 12 oz. 26” total doesn’t seem like much on paper but I have no experience here
I just ordered the resonator K for a gas gun build but didn't like their muzzle devices or the extra .8" the QD adds. I'm swapping out the endcap to a griffin armament plan a. This cuts about .6" and gives a bigger variety of muzzle treatments. The Q plan B or Area 419 adapters are other options.

Last edited:
Fieldcraft all day and twice on Sundays. I had a 21” featherweight barrel threaded to 1/2x28 and suppressed it. Then I snagged a 22” 6.5 with a sporter barrel and 5/8x24 thread. Both are 1/2 MOA rifles and weigh just over 5 lbs out of the box. Snag one with an 18” barrel while you still can.
F5A157F3-AF0A-4534-99A1-06464511AAF1.jpeg

Thanks Slimblundt I really like the Barrett Fieldcraft's specs. SpeedyR that Ruger build is gorgeous, great story too. Thx broncovan for describing your build. I like Fieldcraft and Christensen best but outside my budget right now. Found the Bergara special edition Wilderness Ridge available in March. Main change is Cerakote and muzzle brake. Europtic lists for $849. How good would this be for use as a suppressed hunting 6.5

B14S522SP$9756.5 Creedmoor (Special Purpose Short Barrel)7.2 lbs37.5”18"Hinged floor plate4 standard
B14S521SP$975.308 Win (Special Purpose Short Barrel)7.2 lbs37.5”18"Hinged floor plate4 standard

Last edited:
Thanks Slimblundt I really like the Barrett Fieldcraft's specs. SpeedyR that Ruger build is gorgeous, great story too. Thx broncovan for describing your build. I like Fieldcraft and Christensen best but outside my budget right now. Found the Bergara special edition Wilderness Ridge available in March. Main change is Cerakote and muzzle brake. Europtic lists for $849. How good would this be for use as a suppressed hunting 6.5

B14S522SP$9756.5 Creedmoor (Special Purpose Short Barrel)7.2 lbs37.5”18"Hinged floor plate4 standard
B14S521SP$975.308 Win (Special Purpose Short Barrel)7.2 lbs37.5”18"Hinged floor plate4 standard

That’s awesome. Exactly what I’m looking for as well

Steyr Scout 6.5 Creedmoor. 19" barrel 6lbs 13oz. Euro threaded needs 1/2x20 to 5/8x24 adapter. Integrated bipod. Two removable magazines and innovative safety, sling mounts. Just beginning reading about the history of this rifle I am intrigued. If you use the Scout in 6.5 suppressed I hope to learn your thoughts. Some articles Gundigest review TFB Blog. Price higher than Bergara SP less than Fieldcraft and Christiansen $1345 at Buds

Last edited:
Not a bolt gun but a guy on the local forum built a Ruger #1 in 6.5 specifically to shoot suppressed. It's one of the best looking rifles I've seen in a while. I might be biased as I have a #1 international in 280 but I'd love to do something like this one day...

ODT Ruger #1 6.5CM suppressed

IMG_20191005_131149.jpg

That is a rifle that speaks to me. My #1 RSI is such a joy to carry but I don't hunt unsuppressed anymore so it has become a safe queen. Looks like I have a new project.

Reactions: S_R and SpeedyR
That is a rifle that speaks to me. My #1 RSI is such a joy to carry but I don't hunt unsuppressed anymore so it has become a safe queen. Looks like I have a new project.
same here. I love my #1 and not sure I want to mess with it, but for sure I've kept a visual of what he's done with his and one day I'll attempt to do something similar. I'm sure many don't like it but to me it's just taking a classic and making it better.

Tikka T3x Lite in 6.5 CM in a leftover Varmint stock, trimmed to 16.5", topped with a Vortex Razor HD LH, 7lbs 8.8oz. I will be adding a suppressor shortly.
20200220_154903.jpg

Drew_235 that is a very nice setup. I love the HD LH. Is that the 2-10X40 or the 3-15X42? Do you prefer a 16.5" or an 18" barrel for use suppressed?

It is the 3-15x42. I would have preferred the 2-10, but it was discontinued a week before I put this rifle together. Unfortunately, the entire HD LH line was discontinued last month. It is my understanding that a replacement will be coming out, but I don't know when and for now the next closest thing is the Viper HS.
Regarding my preferred length - I don't know. This is my first purpose built rifle for use with a suppressor. I did a lot of research and reading, even started a thread on whether I could go "too short," and the consensus was there was not much gained by having an 18" vs a 16.x" barrel. I'm going to get some range time in with this setup before I start my next project, a Tikka T3x Lite Stainless .22-250 (1:8 twist, hell yeah!), which will also be shortened and suppressed. I will likely go 16.5" again.

Drew what have you heard about the replacement for the vortex HD LH series? Vortex 2020 print catalog just arrived today in the mail and LH series is totally gone. I have the 1.5-8 and the 2-10 versions of the LH but not the 3-15. Amazon is selling the first two (G4 reticle) versions off insanely cheap right now. I like that reticle my son shot a big doe at 150yds with the 2-10 on a .243 last Fall

Drew what have you heard about the replacement for the vortex HD LH series? Vortex 2020 print catalog just arrived today in the mail and LH series is totally gone. I have the 1.5-8 and the 2-10 versions of the LH but not the 3-15. Amazon is selling the first two (G4 reticle) versions off insanely cheap right now. I like that reticle my son shot a big doe at 150yds with the 2-10 on a .243 last Fall

I’m also curious

A Sig Cross might be an answer. They should be shipping soon.

I’m about to purchase either the 20” Tikka CTR or the 18” Bergara wilderness ridge SP. Leaning towards the Tikka due to nearly all positive reviews.

any other thoughts on the Bergara SP?

Here's a bump for 16 inch suppressed 6.5CM for anyone looking in 2022

(other rifle is 24 inch 6.5PRC)

20221113_113216.jpg
20221110_201927.jpg