• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes advice needed on rings for new rifle

golddot609

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2012
Paris Texas
Greetings, I purchased (from a member here on this site) a rem 700 AAC SD , it is NIB. I have a NIB vortex PST 4-16x50..The rifle came with a Badger 20 MOA rail uninstalled. my question is what ring height and type do i need. I will be shooting out to 800 yds eventually (if my skills will allow it). I am worried about clearance issues w that 50mm obj. ... I also dont want to break the bank any more than i have, i looked at the burris extreme but dont know what height to make the combo work and cant find an answer online so far. thanks for helping a NOOB lol, Semper Fi.
Shawn

Re: advice needed on rings for new rifle

no sir i did not, i was searching it when you posted that, thank you i will research it.

i guess its late, im working midnights when im supposed to be covering days this month and my minds frazzled, how can i make those measurements w/o the rings themselves. it appears to be a medium height needed to go with that rail.

I like Glenn Seekins advice:

<span style="font-style: italic">"50mm obj - low rings on < 5 contour
Medium rings > #5 and up (strait barrel get med high)"</span>

I do not know your rifle barrel contour but if is a factory varmint/Sendero/heavy contour you most likely need medium rings...

FYI - I have a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 and Vortex 6-24x50 both with 30mm tubes and they fit fine on my Rem 5R 308 with 20MOA base. Your 4-16 is probably a bit shorter but there seems to be plenty of room.

Also, if you are concerned, buy from a vendor like Midway and if you want a different size you can return/swap the out no questions asked..

My 2 cents. YMMV

thank you overflow, that is a much more simple answer to decipher, as i have no caliper or the such and this is all greek to me...owe u a cold one !

ok, medium rings (i think)is what i need, i liked the price and reviews of the Burris XTREME, TPS and Vortex are three that got great reviews..any more suggestions?

I just got a Badger 30mm one piece mount for my current build and I'm impressed with the quality for what it's worth.

Good luck!

thanks hitman, i like the rep of badger, they are well liked. i also found Farrell today, look very well made

i did my research, studied up and bought the Vortex precision matched rings for 120$, medium height. next comes teh mounting LOL