• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on which Eotech to get.

Glock1943

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2021
Huntsville, AL
I bought a Sig Romeo 4T and I'm just not happy with it. I'm thinking about an Eotech but unsure which one. I know the EXPS3 is night vison compatible but I don't plan on using NV, so the EXPS2 should do. That being said what about the 5x series? Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

Do you want to use 123 [EXPS and XPS] or AA batteries [5X Series]. That is the only difference in the models besides button placements, and how they mount to the rifle. Some mount directly via a weaver bolt like the XPS and have the buttons on the face plate. This can be a hindrance if you plan to run a magnifier. If you want to run a magnifier, you may wish to get something like the EXPS models or 518.

Reactions: Glock1943
Do you want to use 123 [EXPS and XPS] or AA batteries [5X Series]. That is the only difference in the models besides button placements, and how they mount to the rifle. Some mount directly via a weaver bolt like the XPS and have the buttons on the face plate. This can be a hindrance if you plan to run a magnifier. If you want to run a magnifier, you may wish to get something like the EXPS models or 518.
Being able to use AA batteries would be nice. I'm not going to use night vision and may add a magnifier down the road, so that being said the 5x would be the way to go I'd think. Why the 518 over the other 5x versions?

Being able to use AA batteries would be nice. I'm not going to use night vision and may add a magnifier down the road, so that being said the 5x would be the way to go I'd think. Why the 518 over the other 5x versions?
I recommend the 518 because it is a side button optic without NV. All other models are either with NV or have buttons on the face plate.

Last edited:
Models with the QD Lever sit higher at lower 1/3. I personally find this is just fine. The EXPS is a model with the QD Lever. Models with the weaver bolt attachment sit lower at absolute. Which is the same height as iron sights. I personally don't feel the need to run a riser on my EXPS sights.

You get a lot better battery life with 2 AAs vs 1 CR123. Almost twice as much if I’m not mistaken. AAs are also much more abundant and cheaper than 123s. Something to consider for shtf scenarios.

Also go with the 518 over the 512. I have a 512 and I wish I would have got the 518 for side button operation with a G33. I was not originally planning on having a magnifier but eventually got one later down the road. Now I have to squeeze my finger between the gap awkwardly to operate.

Been an avid Eotech fan since 2004 when I used both the optic and magnifier in real world conditions (effectively too!) When I returned I wrote them an extensive review on both of these and earned a lifetime discount that surpasses anything Ive seen before. Now ALL my rifles except one w Sig Tango have an Eotech on them. All the haters can hate, but use what works for YOU best. Note: NEVER experienced that "Thermal Drift" issue that railed them for a bit.

Some say they're bad for those with an astigmatism - but I have one and they work fine. I have NV gear so the EXPS3 is best for me - though shooting the EXPS2 on lowest setting is still fine. You can find both the EXPS2 and EXPS3 all over the place used for cheap. On the magnifier - I have both the G33 and G45 - tried the 43 and just didnt like the FOV. Also, and probably the biggest thing to look into is use of a Unity Omni Mount instead of the stock Eotech STS.

Use of this mount enables you to look "over" the magnifier thru the optic. When you want/need it, you simply flip it "up" instead of down like the STS. Plus, it gives you a much more slimmer and streamlined presentation than having that thing hanging off the side of your rifle! My 3 cents FWIW. Some pics below.

I just prefer to see the Eotech Ring w Dot upon presentation. Its 10x easier for me to pick up over a single dot. But thats just me. You do YOU OP!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 32
  • p.jpeg
    p.jpeg
    441.8 KB · Views: 34
  • ud.jpeg
    ud.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 32
  • uu.jpeg
    uu.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 35
  • us.jpeg
    us.jpeg
    851 KB · Views: 31
That Unity mount looks like a great idea. Easy to install? I'm probably going to end up pairing my EXPS 2 with a G45. I assume you're a LEO or prior military?

Reactions: Gunny Fitz
That Unity mount looks like a great idea. Easy to install? I'm probably going to end up pairing my EXPS 2 with a G45. I assume you're a LEO or prior military?
Correct. Both actually. The G45 is an outstanding choice. I dont dare ever calculate the amount of gear I've purchased and decided its not for me!

There are some great vendors selling the Unity Mounts. PM me if you need a referral.

I bought a Sig Romeo 4T and I'm just not happy with it. I'm thinking about an Eotech but unsure which one. I know the EXPS3 is night vison compatible but I don't plan on using NV, so the EXPS2 should do. That being said what about the 5x series? Thanks for any thoughts and advice.
It’s a bit pricey, but go ahead and get the EXPS with the 5x magnifier. It flips out of the way, and when zeroing the rifle, you will be glad you have that 5x magnification. 👍🏼