• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advise Needed on Patrol Rifle

squirrelsnpr

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2009
Oakdale, CA
Going to finally purchase my own patrol rifle for work and need some advise from those who have direct expirence with brands listed below.

Heres what im considering
1. LWRC - either the M6a2 SPR http://www.lwrci.com/p-250-m6a2-spr.aspx#inf-tabs or the M6A3 DMR http://www.lwrci.com/p-110-m6a3.aspx
2. POF 415 Hunter/Sniper http://www.pof-usa.com/p415/p415-18-11T-223_hunting.htm
3. POF lower with a JP Rifles PSC-11 18" upper http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.1_PSC_11.php

What im looking for is a super accurate patrol rifle to fill a DMR role. If its not accurate i will be disapointed. It needs to hold under MOA. It will have a 1-6 or 1-4 power optic. Its also going to have to be reliable and durable. Its not going to see mil-spec work, but it will get banged around in the car.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Advise Needed on Patrol Rifle

In that price range why aren't you considering a KAC SR-15? I have owned one for 6 months and shoot the crap out of it. It is ultra reliable and extremely accurate.

Can't really go wrong with any on the list... But if I was looking for a sub moa gasser in the 5.56 world... Noveske and Larue are at the top of that list. I have owned a LWRC m6a2 and now a m6a3.... Love them. Reliable, clean and accurate enough for my needs (I use mine as a run and gun not in a DMR/SPR role).I just started to reload .223 (I know you don't have this option) but I feel my groups will tighten up once I find her sweet spot (currently a 1.5 moa rifle with cheap 55 grain fed ammo).

My 2 cents.... Best of luck

Strictly speaking of this list. LWRC M6 SPR without a doubt. The M6a3 is being discontinued. I can easily shoot sub moa with mine, most people can with the right ammo and shooter.

I would wait for the LWRC IC to come out then pick between that and the SPR.

Get in on the super sniper 1-6 group buy if it is still open. The 1-4 super sniper preformed very well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchRE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What im looking for is a super accurate patrol rifle to fill a DMR role.</div></div>

Why do you want a DMR rifle for a patrol rifle? All the cops I know have fairly standard m4 carbines with eotechs or aimpoints.

Is this going in your trunk or in a patrol car rack? If it's going in a rack might want to check the rail/handguard size for fitment. Just something I've read on other similiar posts...

I had a long talk with John Holliger from White Oak Armament not long ago about barrel twist rates to optimise my rifle for the 55 grain duty rounds my department issues. John chuckled and advised if I was holding 1.5 inch groups with a 1:7 or a 1:9 shooting 55grain, I was in good shape. He recommended something like 1:14 for 55 grain bullets and then advised he would go broke if he tried to sell them. My point is your rifle may be dead nuts accurate, but if you are issued and required to deploy with junk ammo, like my dept, your precision may deteriorate by no fault of your own. Just something to keep in mind. Can't go wrong with any rifle on your list.

Just as others have mentioned before me, I would take a hard look at your duty round. I know, at least with us, our issued rounds are at BEST a 1 moa round.

I also agree with previous replies about looking at LaRue if you are wanting something dead nuts accurate in DI AR. In the kind of price range you have mentioned I would look there, Noveske, KAC.

As far as the vehicle mounts go, I know ours don't support any sort of long tube optic. Supposedly the new Interceptor's we are supposedly getting will have better mounts to support a wider variety of optics/rails/lights.

You might also dig through the Semi-Auto section some more until you find Dmack's thread on the PWS Mk114. It has a lot of really good information on that particular rifle being used in the Patrol rifle function.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchRE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What im looking for is a super accurate patrol rifle to fill a DMR role.</div></div>

Why do you want a DMR rifle for a patrol rifle? All the cops I know have fairly standard m4 carbines with eotechs or aimpoints.

</div></div>

This is exactly why im looking to fill this role. No one in my dept really has something set to fill this role. Also i think its easier to use a DMR in a true carbine role, vs making a carbine a DMR. A standard carbine would work fine, but this also a good reason to squeeze a damn nice AR out of the wife!

"I know its expensive honey, but they all cost that much".
wink.gif

Thanks for all the advise!

I would look at the complete rifles Seekins Precision is putting out. Probably would be more accurate than anything else out there in .223.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: truth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PWS should be in the mix as well.</div></div>

What he said.

Noveske!

I would recomend you give some thought as to ammo, policy and your future.

Alot of departments have specific needs. Some prefer colt, bush, etc. My point being, if you change jobs later in life you can still press the same rifle into service.