• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

advise on possible ar-10 for my father

sako.308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2011
daytona beach FL
ok so i know NOTHING about ar's as they are not my style or seem practical to me. that aside my dad has an itch for an ar in .308. i would like to buy the gun for him bu if he beats me to it so be it. at a minimum i would like to be able to provide good info on a direction to send him if i dont buy it for him.

i was advised a sig 716 patrol is a great entry level ar that is not complete trash. he did mention he would like to stay around 2k for out the door price +/- 1-200$.

his wants out of the ar is realistic accuracy (not like you guys lol but still good accuracy)
flip up sites standard (will NOT be adding optics)
he said wants it to tear down like service rilfe he trained on, i assume they all do but idk .

on side note a custom action/lower is not needed for his rifle so plz advise on off shelf gun

AND go......

Last edited:
POF
PWS
CMMG
S&W
GAP, IF you can wait
many others, if you can wait

Armalite 10A4BF2 Tactical Semi-Automatic 308 Winchester 20" $1,183.00 SHIPS FREE

80438.jpg

I'm partial to Olive Drab furniture:

Armalite Black 308 Win. w/20" Chrome Lined Barrel/Green Synt $1,240.00 SHIPS FREE

ALI_10A4.jpg

Get five (5) 20rd mags, directly from ARMALITE, for $150 plus @ $12 S&H. Shipped to your front door just like pizza.

EDIT: Forgot the Flips

There is only one proper Front Flip for an ARMALITE AR-10:

GG&G Flip Up Front Sight For AR-10 Dovetailed Gas Blocks FREE S&H GGG-1323. GG&G AR15 Iron Sights.

Collage-Flip-Up-For-Dovetai.jpg

Let the haters hate... and get a standard TROY rear flip for $80

https://www.primaryarms.com/Troy-Rear-Folding-BattleSight-Black-p/ssig-fbs-r0bt-00.htm

SSIG-FBS-R0BT-00-2T.jpg

Last edited:
hmmm i will have to look into the armalite, do they have a standard model with built in peep sights?

Nobody does that.

If he lives long enough for his eyes to start fading, he will want to put glass on the rifle.

{I typed the above before you stated your father's health issues.}

Last edited:
hmmm i will have to look into the armalite, do they have a standard model with built in peep sights?

Any of the Armalite rifles will serve those stated purposes nicely and, if you can find one, Armalite HAS in the past, made standard A2 configuration (carry handle integrated into the upper, front gas block/sight tower). They have discontinued them at present and its unlikely that they'll bring them back, but they come up for sale on occasion and they are VERY nice rifles in every respect. Armalite also makes an AR-10 detachable carry handle for use on the flattop receivers and a variety of options for front sites exist that will work in conjunction with that setup if that's what you think he'd like/prefer. Here is one such example of an AR-10A2 complete rifle: Armalite AR10 A2 308 - 7.62 NATO : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

As I said, they are excellent rifles and the prices on them will only go up at this point since the likelihood of being able to get one new now that they are DC'd is slim to none at this point.

i DEFF think that one above is what he is looking for idk if he wants a carry handle or not i guess i need to ask before i drop coinage for a rifle with one.

since poster above did not answer can some explain why the sig 716 is not an ar style rifle?

since poster above did not answer can some explain why the sig 716 is not an ar style rifle?

The Sig is sort of a hybrid, but it is MOST DEFINITELY based in the AR world, but its yet another step away from the more tradition, direct impingement (DI) gas system, AR of origin. The Sig, like other options previously recommended like the POF, etc., uses a short-stroke gas piston setup in lieu of the more common/prolific DI setup. It used Magpul .308 PMAGs and is compatible with SOME AR parts/accessories/etc. Not sure what tipper was suggesting above in saying it is NOT AR style.

ok thanks ORD. being gas piston would it still strip down the same manner as a DI? maybe i am stuck on it but it deff seems to check almost all the boxes he is looking for. would i be a good choice? i honestly have NO idea what purpose my dad has for it since he cannot hunt in his state with it, HATES shooting ranges but does live in BFE so shooting anytime is ok to do.

+1 for the POF P308.

1 MOA or better accuracy out of the box. Excellent company that stands behind their product. Dealt with Cody at POF recently and customer service was top notch. I installed a UBR and Cody sent me the correct buffer and spring as he said he wanted the gun to run flawlessly.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

+1 for the POF P308.

1 MOA or better accuracy out of the box. Excellent company that stands behind their product. Dealt with Cody at POF recently and customer service was top notch. I installed a UBR and Cody sent me the correct buffer and spring as he said he wanted the gun to run flawlessly.

seems like a nice rifle BUT deff out o my range and more than he wants to spend himself

Def at the very top of his price range but well worth it. I've seen a few in the $2100-$2200 range lately. High quality rifle that he will cherish.

Def at the very top of his price range but well worth it. I've seen a few in the $2100-$2200 range lately. High quality rifle that he will cherish.

ok i will look around for nice used one. i really want to buy best i can afford. i have alot of reason i want to beat him to the punch on buying the gun. he has been really down in the shitter for last 13yrs since having 5 strokes, open heart surg, annd being forced to medically retire from air force. then him and his wife of 20yrs parted ways. i just want to bring some joy back to life even if for just a few mins.

Really there are a lot of AR styles out there, the more you look the more you will find. Your brain can go numb.

well i deff will be looking i to the POF rifle since so many praise them here. all i seem to find is shit, loose, rattle, p.o.s rifles that i would not trade my cheapest 22 for. One larger shop in my area carries s&w (not impressed), and has every other cheap 5.56 rifle. it seems hard to find quality equip in my local area without driving over hr.

I second all the praise for the armalites.
Just make sure you get a current production model that use the Gen II magazine to avoid the cost of the old magazines.
I have an early unit and had to pay a premium to get the proprietary mags.

I second all the praise for the armalites.
Just make sure you get a current production model that use the Gen II magazine to avoid the cost of the old magazines.
I have an early unit and had to pay a premium to get the proprietary mags.

Nonsense!

There is NO difference between "earlier" production and "current" production rifles with respect to Gen 1 (converted/adapted M14 mags during the ban era) and Gen 2 (newer Armalite production) magazines that can't be overcome with a very simple swap of the bolt catch which, on the newer model rifles, will allow you to run BOTH earlier Gen 1 and newer Gen 2 mags without a hiccup. Its a $16 part and requires ~10min of work to make the swap then you can have it "both ways" for mags. I've done it on at least a dozen rifles in the last 5yrs or so and never experienced an function issue with either mag platform. The one "big" difference between newer production and older production models will be the presence or absence of the forward assist (only available on newer models) which is not really necessary on a large-frame AR, but some want it and some don't...just be aware of that difference and buy accordingly.

Nonsense!

There is NO difference between "earlier" production and "current" production rifles with respect to Gen 1 (converted/adapted M14 mags during the ban era) and Gen 2 (newer Armalite production) magazines that can't be overcome with a very simple swap of the bolt catch which, on the newer model rifles, will allow you to run BOTH earlier Gen 1 and newer Gen 2 mags without a hiccup. Its a $16 part and requires ~10min of work to make the swap then you can have it "both ways" for mags. I've done it on at least a dozen rifles in the last 5yrs or so and never experienced an function issue with either mag platform. The one "big" difference between newer production and older production models will be the presence or absence of the forward assist (only available on newer models) which is not really necessary on a large-frame AR, but some want it and some don't...just be aware of that difference and buy accordingly.
Perhaps "squishee" meant the "A" series rifles that now work with PMAGS?

Nonsense!

That option for the magazine wasnt always available.
I kept mine original and therefor sought out the original mags.
To the op sorry for my miss information.
magazine link below.

AR10
ArmaLite AR-10 Magazines are proprietary magazines. Previously ArmaLite AR-10's used converted M-14 magazines (1st Generation). Today AR-10 Magazines (Generation II) come in many sizes. Each magazine will accommodate ammunition variants used on the AR-10 platform.

MAGAZINE CONVERSION KIT W/BOX

Last edited:
My advice would be, do not get a fixed carry handle version, even if that is what he wants. He will regret it later. A removable carry handle would be much better and give him a lot more options down the road.

That option for the magazine wasnt always available.
I kept mine original and therefor sought out the original mags.
To the op sorry for my miss information.
magazine link below.

AR10
ArmaLite AR-10 Magazines are proprietary magazines. Previously ArmaLite AR-10's used converted M-14 magazines (1st Generation). Today AR-10 Magazines (Generation II) come in many sizes. Each magazine will accommodate ammunition variants used on the AR-10 platform.

MAGAZINE CONVERSION KIT W/BOX

Unless you are in "ban states" where current production, regular capacity magazines from Armalite (i.e. - the Gen 2 mags) are not an option as they are illegal, the "conversions" and/or Gen 1 mags haven't been necessary in over a decade now, but if you are "choosing" to keep your rifle OEM and not upgrade a simple part to allow you to use far cheaper, more plentiful mags...so be it.

However, since Armalite began production of the "new" magazines which are superior in strength, design and function to the older conversion mags, they have made the conversion bolt catch available for sale to the public for all to take advantage of the new AND old mags where permitted by law. Hell, even ban states permit SOME of the new mags where capacity is decreased from the usual 20-rounds down to 15, 10 and 5 as dictated under each state's respective laws.

While I realize you said you want your rifle "original" and thus wanted the OEM mags, there is ZERO external/appearance differences between the new and old bolt catches and only VERY minor internal appearance/functional differences that many people would never perceive from a quick look (or even a detailed look if they didn't know what they were looking for). Armalite just modified the "finger"/"tab" on the bolt catch that is activated by a portion of the follower to engage the LRBHO (the old, conversion mags had the silly plunger, pop-out activator for the catch because of the smooth back of the M14/M1A mags while the new Gen 2 mags have a built-in rear rib in which a steel tab on the follower rides that activates the catch).

Its a worthwhile conversion to give you the same outward appearance of your rifle while allowing you maximum flexibility in terms of the mags you can run. This is especially true in today's culture/climate where, at least potentially, there is always a looming ban around the corner (federal or state) and being able to source from a wider range of mags for your semi-auto is desirable if you want/need more for a rainy day. ;)

Either way...no offense intended toward you or anyone else in my previous post. Just didn't want there to be any confusion or misinformation spread on this topic as the whole "mag" differences (especially between Armalite and DPMS/KAC/Magpul pattern rifles) is often a dealbreaker for some who don't fully understand all the nuances of the situation.

Just below the top of your price range for a brand new POF P308 or save a few bucks and get the used one. Best group I've shot with my P308 at 100 yds with XM118LR is 0.53". I paid $2800 for my POF P308 back in March 2013.