• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aero Precision Bolt Gun Teaser (Now newly announced SABR thread)

also confirmed the gauge is good?

how does it measure with your brass/tape?
The gunsmith is very well known, very reputable. I don’t know how often he confirms or checks his gauges, but i trust him. Without torquing it, it was a tight bolt close on my fired brass and no go gauge wouldn’t start to close but just a tiny bit.

well it is Aero, maybe they just expect people to just twist it on and go!
I don’t know, I want to try and talk to someone there. I’d all their actions are the same, that’s fine, but then you can’t advertise it as a prefit for origin.

The gunsmith is very well known, very reputable. I don’t know how often he confirms or checks his gauges, but i trust him. Without torquing it, it was a tight bolt close on my fired brass and no go gauge wouldn’t start to close but just a tiny bit.
sounds pretty close to me and i'd guess it's in saami spec or very very very close

what does it do with new/sized brass?

sounds pretty close to me and i'd guess it's in saami spec or very very very close

what does it do with new/sized brass?
Didn’t bring any with me as I was just going to get it torqued on so I could shoot it. If it would have measured less than a thousand compared to the origin I would say it’s good, but when checking it against an origin and it was 1.5 off, that to me says it’s a barrel nut or smith job. Maybe that’s just me though. Virgin brass is in my experience 4-5 thou short out of the gate.

I have a PVA prefit that won't let a go-gauge fully close as well. But it chambers my ammo just fine and keeps my brass from growing...
And as long as it chambers factory ammo, a mfg would be happy about that too I’m sure.

Factory ammo and new brass is almost always smaller than SAAMI minimum. If a smith told me my chamber was .001" smaller than a Go gage I'd run it. Probably a bad practice for Aero given the variability in the market but I wouldn't sweat a thousandth under as an end user.

Reactions: reubenski
What did he torque the barrel at? We usually see no more than 1thou
80ft lbs. aero had me send pics and measurements of the action, the go gauge, and the origin action for comparison. We will see what they have to say. I think the problem they might have is when someone buys the action, buys a prefit, and runs factory ammo, only to find out the factory ammo is tight or has issues running in any kind of adverse weather. Maybe .0015” isn’t a big deal, I don’t know, but I feel like for the average joe home builder, not closing on a go gauge should mean it’s not good to go. Maybe not though.

Did a soft seat of the SOLUS in MDT TIMBR Laminate chassis:
SOLUS 4 TIMBR.jpg

SOLUS 3 TIMBR.jpg
SOLUS 5 TIMBER.jpg

Welp, ordering a set of go/no go gauges for when the complete rifle gets here just to double check.
Might see if I can get my buddy to pull his origin barrel just to satisfy my curiosity as well

Welp, ordering a set of go/no go gauges for when the complete rifle gets here just to double check.
Might see if I can get my buddy to pull his origin barrel just to satisfy my curiosity as well
I would sure hope that complete rifles are checked before leaving!

Reactions: Gatekeeper
I would sure hope that complete rifles are checked before leaving!
For sure, especially since they supposed to shoot a test/ accuracy verification group using 147eld-m.
But I'll need the gauges eventually when I do a 22 or 6mm creed anyway so might as well check it on delivery. I mean they should be cutting their barrels to the origin tenon print, so kinda curious if it is tight headspace on their action also.
For science!

I just got it head spaced tonight. I took it out of the MDT TIMBR and dropped it into a KRG Bravo green. The SOLUS sat "clunky" high and the trigger hanger was tight on the inside of the stock. I called MDT and they said their stock will best fit something without a trigger hanger, unless I really wanted to modify with a Dremel.

I have a Nucleus showing up here in a couple days. I will drop that into this MDT along with an M24 20" 308 Winchestershire. If you guys are into the wood check out the MDT XRS chassis too. Hot AF as well.
B142BC40-417B-431A-9A41-CDF8A5C21AA7.jpeg

00FAB37B-FED9-4A59-825A-FA0FF36166C7.jpeg

Rings on the way.

Reactions: Tremor3Guy
I did some tuning on the extractor and ejectors to smooth up bolt locking. The action has a fair bit of cock on close. Overcoming both ejectors and snapping the extractor over the case rim at the same time took some effort.

The factory ejectors are “pointy” on their face, note the tiny brass colored specs on them. Thats the only point of contact. The extractor moves in its slot pretty easily, but its face is sharp on every surface.

From the factory.
D4BC818F-06B2-41E5-9172-83664D404972.jpeg

Wider radius on the face of the ejectors and mirror polished. I also removed a coil from each ejector spring. If you do this yourself, be very careful as doing it unevenly would cause wonky and unreliable ejection due to the case trajectory being too high or too low.

0F0A95DD-34DA-4A69-9F75-DA84EA9A60C2.jpeg

Bolt closes great now, and the ejectors dont pick up any material off the case heads. Noticeable improvement in smoothness.

I did some tuning on the extractor and ejectors to smooth up bolt locking. The action has a fair bit of cock on close. Overcoming both ejectors and snapping the extractor over the case rim at the same time took some effort.

The factory ejectors are “pointy” on their face, note the tiny brass colored specs on them. Thats the only point of contact. The extractor moves in its slot pretty easily, but its face is sharp on every surface.

From the factory.
View attachment 8064532

Wider radius on the face of the ejectors and mirror polished. I also removed a coil from each ejector spring. If you do this yourself, be very careful as doing it unevenly would cause wonky and unreliable ejection due to the case trajectory being too high or too low.

View attachment 8064533

Bolt closes great now, and the ejectors dont pick up any material off the case heads. Noticeable improvement in smoothness.
That’s awesome! I just feel like these home remedies shouldn’t be necessary with an action at this price point, but I guess that’s why other actions cost twice as much for similar features.

That’s awesome! I just feel like these home remedies shouldn’t be necessary with an action at this price point, but I guess that’s why other actions cost twice as much for similar features.
I agree 100%. My eyes are wide open to the fact that im a guinea pig. Even if it was a train wreck, dicking around with new actions is enjoyable. Happy that its nowhere near a train wreck.

This is nearly universal to all early adopters. There aren't many popular actions on the market today that didn't experience early production teething issues. There are multiple comments suggesting ARC over the new Aero action which is ironic considering pretty much every new ARC action has been littered with early problems. I absolutely love ARC, and they are as stand up as anyone, but I think they sent me several sears, springs, and bolt internals along the way.

Latest from aero,
After many back and forth emails about specs on barrels, pics of measurements and explanations, they are having me send the action back for inspection. So we shall see what comes of it, and I’ll be sure to keep everyone posted on how long it takes and what they say.

80ft lbs. aero had me send pics and measurements of the action, the go gauge, and the origin action for comparison. We will see what they have to say. I think the problem they might have is when someone buys the action, buys a prefit, and runs factory ammo, only to find out the factory ammo is tight or has issues running in any kind of adverse weather. Maybe .0015” isn’t a big deal, I don’t know, but I feel like for the average joe home builder, not closing on a go gauge should mean it’s not good to go. Maybe not though.
This is exactly the reason given to me from a custom barrel maker I spoke to about making shouldered prefits for these. They suggest the barrel nut option and torque to 55lbs.

This is exactly the reason given to me from a custom barrel maker I spoke to about making shouldered prefits for these. They suggest the barrel nut option and torque to 55lbs.
Well if that is in fact how their actions are, then they need to quit advertising it as an origin prefit.

I missed one of your posts i think. Did yours not headspace or something?
No or does not headspace on either of my origin barrels. Won’t close on a go gauge. It measures about .0015” shorter to the bolt face than my origin.

You shoot factory ammo?
Sometimes but not usually. I only bump my shoulders 1-2 thou and I don’t want to have to keep track of brass and ammo between actions. It’s one thing in my opinion to be on the tight side, it’s another to not fit the go/no go gauges when it’s advertised as such. I know I can make it work, but if you market it as a simple prefit option, you need to make sure prefits are going to headspace properly. Or only advertise it as a barrel nut system and Let others decide to tinker if they want.

Sometimes but not usually. I only bump my shoulders 1-2 thou and I don’t want to have to keep track of brass and ammo between actions. It’s one thing in my opinion to be on the tight side, it’s another to not fit the go/no go gauges when it’s advertised as such. I know I can make it work, but if you market it as a simple prefit option, you need to make sure prefits are going to headspace properly. Or only advertise it as a barrel nut system and Let others decide to tinker if they want.
Thats what i was getting at, and i agree with you.

The the barrel I made for my Origin was touching on a Go gauge(intentionally). When I screwed that barrel on to the Solus, it was Go plus .0015. So perfect

Every action is 100% CMM inspected to ensure tolerances are within .0002 of nominal. If an action isn't head spacing it should be sent back to be rechecked and test fit with both an Aero barrel and a control barrel, in this case, it would be a Proof Research Origin prefit. If they both headspace per our spec and Proofs spec then it will be sent back to the customer. If they are unhappy a refund will be provided.

Every action is 100% CMM inspected to ensure tolerances are within .0002 of nominal. If an action isn't head spacing it should be sent back to be rechecked and test fit with both an Aero barrel and a control barrel, in this case, it would be a Proof Research Origin prefit. If they both headspace per our spec and Proofs spec then it will be sent back to the customer. If they are unhappy a refund will be provided.
This is almost word for word the reply I got. I decided I don’t want to pursue this action anymore and they did in fact issue a refund with no fuss. I hope I was the problem, as this action will help bring in a ton of people to the bolt sport, but I’m going to go a different direction. The folks at Aero were extremely pleasant to work with during all of this I must say. Kudos to their customer service!

This is almost word for word the reply I got. I decided I don’t want to pursue this action anymore and they did in fact issue a refund with no fuss. I hope I was the problem, as this action will help bring in a ton of people to the bolt sport, but I’m going to go a different direction. The folks at Aero were extremely pleasant to work with during all of this I must say. Kudos to their customer service!
I would love to work with you to keep you as a customer. We really will exhaust every option we have to fix something. Our default will never be to blame the customer. If there is anything I can do for you please DM me.

From the factory.
View attachment 8064532

View attachment 8064533

What grit did you use for this? It looks great.

Reactions: Matt_3479
I would love to work with you to keep you as a customer. We really will exhaust every option we have to fix something. Our default will never be to blame the customer. If there is anything I can do for you please DM me.
I appreciate it, but this action just isn’t going to work out for me. You guys over at aero did everything and your support was more than excellent, I was never blamed or called out or felt ridiculed in any way. Customer service was definitely 5 star!

If I can get Aero to ship the 4 other SOLUS I ordered I could check an Origin prefit for science. LOL. I am not in the mood to take my CBI barrel off my current SOLUS after just beginning load development. Murphy would gobble my ass I'm sure!

I appreciate it, but this action just isn’t going to work out for me. You guys over at aero did everything and your support was more than excellent, I was never blamed or called out or felt ridiculed in any way. Customer service was definitely 5 star!
I would think a 1-2 thou shim could be used on the origin cut barrel.
Why would you give up on the sweet little action so quick? You have an aversion to the barrel nut?

I would think a 1-2 thou shim could be used on the origin cut barrel.
Why would you give up on the sweet little action so quick? You have an aversion to the barrel nut?
Possibly, but I’m not looking to shim a precision rifle barrel personally. I don’t personally like barrel nuts as then I have to headspace every single time, and I feel the probability of repeatability diminishes. I swapped two barrels 7 times with my origin (same barrels in question) and never got more than a .1 shift in poi for each barrel (not barrel to barrel). When I run my origin I get excited. I can’t say that about the Solus. It’s definitely an action and system that is going to help expand and grow the sport, and I bet many that buy one will love it, especially if it’s their first bolt action precision rifle! It’s just not going to work for me and my expectations.