• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Aerosol Release Agent For Bedding?

RmeJu

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2019
I am looking into bedding, and to me, an aerosol release agent seem like it's much less prone to error than manual application of shoe polish, etc.

I can get McLube Sailkote or Hornady One Shot locally for $10. There seem to be several other options in the $20-30 range, but anyone have good luck with these two, or something similar?

I have considered using One-Shot in the past, but just ended up spending a few bucks on some Johnsons Floor Wax. Worked a treat and very easy to apply and not miss any spots.

I am looking into bedding, and to me, an aerosol release agent seem like it's much less prone to error than manual application of shoe polish, etc.

I can get McLube Sailkote or Hornady One Shot locally for $10. There seem to be several other options in the $20-30 range, but anyone have good luck with these two, or something similar?

The Brownells aerosol works great, Its easy to apply liberally, pastes wax works as well, just apply it a couple od times to ensure coverage and slickness.

Good luck. I stay with what works 100%. I've always used Acraglas Release Agent from Brownells. Pops right out. Just did another bedding job last week.

I would buy whatever I thought was the best without giving any consideration to the cost. A good bedding job is a lot of work. I can make 20 bucks a lot quicker and easier than I can bed an action.

I would buy whatever I thought was the best without giving any consideration to the cost.

I'm 100% on board with this. But if two things both work great, and one costs a lot less, I'd like to know. Poking around here, it looks like the McLube Sailkote is the same as/similar to the McLube 1700L, and a bunch of people sound like HOS worked great for them. All that said, those posts are several years old, and I'm curious if the common wisdom has evolved since then.

I'm 100% on board with this. But if two things both work great, and one costs a lot less, I'd like to know. Poking around here, it looks like the McLube Sailkote is the same as/similar to the McLube 1700L, and a bunch of people sound like HOS worked great for them. All that said, those posts are several years old, and I'm curious if the common wisdom has evolved since then.

I'd like to know what the differences are, if any- in the McLube 1700L and Sailkote.

I'd like to know what the differences are, if any- in the McLube 1700L and Sailkote.

FWIW, some if the earlier threads said Sailkote was closer to McLube 1725L, rather than comparing it to 1700L.

Best shit I've ever used.

1580737534092.png

And if you don't like that, there's always "antibedding", lol.

1580737566201.png

Long rifles sells the mcLube 1700. I just bought a can to try for a bedding job and this is far and away the best release agent ive ever used. Always have used brownells aerosol in the past but the mclube is cheaper, and frankly just makes for a better looking job.

I used one-shot on 2 bedding jobs and it worked perfectly.
Just put a few coats on and let dry in between coats.

Best shit I've ever used.

Ok, I bit. Thanks for the replies

Reactions: supercorndogs
Just use shoe polish or Johnson’s wax. The prep is what will make your bedding a lot better. Sprays may or may not make it everywhere you need it. I’ve always used shoe polish in the past and never had an issue

I used one shot with success on my one and only bedding job. Take my opinion for what it is worth. I really didn't know what I was doing and I didn't screw it up so I'd use it again.

I use shoe polish because I have it and it's cheap. A can will last a LONG time. I don't like to get stuff everywhere, and an aerosol does get everywhere.

the Mclube 1700 stuff LRI sells is fantastic....nothing else I have used compares

the Mclube 1700 stuff LRI sells is fantastic....nothing else I have used compares

Glad to hear it. I bough some of it from LRI based on Chad's advice (on this thread) and I'm getting ready to try it out!