• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

affordable AR trigger upgrade?

LaRue MBT's are great for the price but I feel that a lot of user preference goes into them. They break like a sledgehammer on a sheet of glass.

Well, the best deal would be to wait until Brownell's has their Geissele triggers on sale. Not the normal Geissle triggers, their contract versions. They make two. One is a "rapid fire" trigger akin to their single stage or maybe 3G trigger and they make a 2 stage version similar to the SSA. The only differences are 1. they don't engrave each unit (I think that means bulk QC) and 2. they use a spring that slides onto the side of the hammer vs. using the internal one that depends on the center notch in the pin to lock in place. When on sale I think they're around $100-ish but don't quote me.

I got one and liked it enough and it was a good enough deal I put 'em in both rack grade M4's and a .300BLK 16". I got the rapid fire model to use more like an upgrade to the standard trigger and boy is it ever.

The absolute cheapest way to go is to just take your milspec AR trigger and polish the contact points. You can get a fairly smooth 4-4.5lb. pull that way. I still use one in the Beowulf. Just polish, don't resurface. A dremel tool with cotton wheels and fine abrasive works well and makes it nearly impossible to overdo.

Look in the PX on here too. People get upgrades and download stuff all the time. While back I sold an RRA 2 stage shipped for $50 I believe.

Reactions: GRANDBO
Velocity.

Badass. 3 pounds, ZERO takeup, crisp and clean break, minimum overtravel, reset is short and beautiful.

Next question.

I've got your next question, hangin'.

Why did you respond with a brand of triggers that are @ $10 shy of being twice the price the OP was asking about?
OddballUniqueCamel-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: GRANDBO
20200329_170104.jpg

Or you can get a small Arkansas white stone that you can also use on your knives and spend an evening polishing the stock trigger. 400 grit on a small jeweler's file works great for the notch in the hammer

LaRue is the best upgrade you can put on your AR for the price... but for precision work I still like the Geissele SAA-E but that is at another price point and also splinting hairs lol

I have all Larue and gieselle with the exception of one Calvin elite. Saw a blip on a brownells trigger that looked self-contained, curious what that is.

Too your question on for the money, answer is Larue.

Just throwing this out there, If you are looking for a trigger that your life may depend on I would not use a cartridge type trigger assembly.
Although they work great and I have and do use them I have witnessed blown primers that get lodged in the cartridge and shut the gun down requiting the
lower to be disassembled to get the stuck primer out.

That doesn't have anything to do with cartridge triggers; it can happen to just about any trigger in an AR, including the stock "mil-spec" triggers (I've had it happen). It's not a reason to avoid cartridge triggers; more like a good reason to avoid loads that are too hot, or brass that is over-used.