• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

after info gained in my 300blk thread I am posed with another question.

Dallas4rceMarine

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2011
Dallas, TX
after hearing about the different burn rates and which powders people are using with their 8-10" 300BLK uppers I am curious what powders you guys are using in you 8-12" 5.56 uppers. Most data i find is for 16" or longer barrels and in my simple mind im thinking these fast 300BLK powders would work good in a shorty 5.56.. Anybody out there doing it or did I just make myself look dumb?

Dallas,

There's a bit more to it than just moving to a fast powder for a shorter barrel. What we're dealing with here is expansion ratio. That is, the relationship of the volume of the combustion chamber to that of the combustion chamber and bore combined. This means that a 12" 5.56mm and a 12" 300 Blk will require very different powders, even though the barrel lengths are the same. With the same cartidge, you can change ER's by using different barrel lengths. By the same token, you can change expansion ratios in a given barrel length by going to a larger or smaller cartridge, such as a 20" 308 vs. a 20" 300 WM. Changing barrel lengths and chamberings throughs a complete set of variables into play and things start getting complicated. Useful stuff to understand, but it does take some getting used to.

But no, the powders ideally suited to the SBR 300 Blk, are going to be very different than those best suited to an SBR 5.56mm. I'd suggest using the same powders that are suited to a 5.56mm with a longer barrel when dropping to the 12" 5.56mm, and the same advice would go for the 300 Blk. It's just going to take a faster powder than the 5.56mm, like the 1680, N110, 296, H110, etc.. For the 5.56mm, stick with the M135, Benchmark, H322, etc.. Hope this helps a bit.