• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Age old question

branct06

KOPFJAGER
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
High Point N.C.
First off i want to apologize because i know this has been asked probably a million times on this site I just cant find the threads, Anyways I am new to long distance shooting and I am going to be picking up a Night Force scope in the next month for my remington 700 r-5 now my question is what redicle do you suggest, I am debating between mil and moa redicles, what have the experienced shooters found easiest to calculate distance as well as turret adjustment with?

Re: Age old question

Pick your flavor or mil or moa. If you go MOA, I recommend the NP-R1. Its a very user friendly reticle and probably my favorite. If you are a mil guy, go with the MLR. Just make sure the turrets and the reticle are the same.

Personally I like MOA, and the NP-R1. But like many things in firearms, its better if you try several different ones and use what you feel comfortable with.

I have both a Mil/Mil and MOA/MOA and I find the MIL/MIL to be easier to use in most every respect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both a Mil/Mil and MOA/MOA and I find the MIL/MIL to be easier to use in most every respect. </div></div>
BattleAxe: I was really interested by your comment. I have several Mil/Mil scopes, but none which is MOa/Moa. I always assumed my experience with them would be 100% the same. Given how I use them, I just cannot figure out how one would be easier than the other. I'd love to find out first hand from you, since you have both. Can you give a quick description of your experience as you compare them?

One variable in moa is true moa vs iphy, (inch per hundred yards). Both moa measurements are out there but there is only one mil measurement. One other variable is "click" value. There are 1/8 moa, 1/4 moa and 1/2 moa adjustments as well as .05 mil, .1 mil and .2 mil. There may be others as well. The larger the "click" the less precise the adjustment but fewer "clicks" are needed for macro adjustments. Think it through regarding what type of shooting you will be doing and make your choice. Personally I have been using FFP, mil/mil with .2 mil "clicks" for about a year and that is now my standard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrooperBrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally I like MOA, and the NP-R1. But like many things in firearms, its better if you try several different ones and use what you feel comfortable with. </div></div>

Sound advice, I also favor the NP-R1 reticle.

For shooters with no preconcieved ideas, I typically recomend mil/mil.

The system is easier to learn if you are not used to thinking in MOA, and it has WAY more support throughout the tactical shooting industry. People feel the need to assign liniar distances to these systems for some reason. This habbit is easier to break with mils than MOA.

The bottom line is this: either system will function well when you learn how to use it. But when you are out shooting, the vast majority of people calling corrections are going to be calling them in mils (they will have mil reticles). That is the primary advantage.