• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AH-64 APACHE CRASHES

-Nick-

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2011
An oh shit moment...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BcTDwJco_Os"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BcTDwJco_Os" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: AH-64 APACHE CRASHES

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holly Sh#t - hope he's OK </div></div>

They were apparently fine and more or less walked away from it.

Glad they are ok.that had to hurt,that was close to the guys
on the ground.

That was really close, see the guy on the ground at 25 seconds

Last I heard they were in jail facing charges. Endangered the folks on the ground.

Mind you this is the worst type of knowledge, friend of a friend kind of thing...

I hope for the best, hate seeing people get hurt as well as careers ending from something that when I was young, I could have easily be tempted into doing.

That looks like the ranges behind a certain air base in a certain valley in a certain place I have been in a certain time
laugh.gif

That's the problem with hot dogging it... when you land, you are the coolest dude... if you have an oh shit moment, well, you end up on youtube with a bunch of people questioning your judgement.

Since it looks like this is pretty high altitude, I agree with gathert above, he didn't account for the significantly lowered aerodynamic performance at altitude.

I'm glad to hear they walked away. Tough to see someone throw away something they probably worked their whole life to achieve.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcm331</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was really close, see the guy on the ground at 25 seconds </div></div>

Yea, I was gonna say the same thing. Came within inches of giving him a really bad day. I'd say he probably had to change his pants after that one, lol. SHIT.

I fly the little ones and pulling off a move like that is no problem, but not with something that heavy coming out of a stall turn like that. That guys channel on YouTube has some other good videos if you guys have the time to check them out.

PS Apache pilot guy wasting away in some cell: This is how its done, and with a sweet 'stache to boot.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o6UxS4dAZfs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o6UxS4dAZfs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RGu45s1_QPU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RGu45s1_QPU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks like the ranges behind a certain air base in a certain valley in a certain place I have been in a certain time
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Why, certainly?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sictransitjosh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats rough, especially then being charged, this county is fucked up. </div></div>

You do dumb,stupid shit with a multi-million dollar helicopter and you pay for it.

In my opinion, those guys got exactly what they deserved.

I went to flight school with a guy who flew into a POL point in Viet Nam downwind and rolled a UH-1H up in a ball. He ended up paying for it. Never could understand how he made it through flight school, anyway.

Just how much lift did they think they were working with?

Depending on altitude. May have been at a relatively low altitude but just in the winter. Cold air ='s low altitude. Temperature can offset altitude to some extent.

That's just what's generally considered as "pilot error".

Bet he ain't wearing wings no more.

Generally cold air = higher density, hot air = low density. Think of the air as more "solid" when its cold, but up in high altitudes the air is thin anyway so that doesn't matter. The F-16's stationed in Alaska can pull an extra G in turns because the air is colder and they have more "bite" in the air. The engines also work better because the air is extra cold and its thicker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that might be considered a hard-landing.

Was the crew "showing off" and just lost control? </div></div>

Showing off, yes. They didn't lose control though. Judging by the blade coning just before impact, the pilot on the controls found out the hard way about density altitude and performance planning.

The PIC (Pilot in Command) needs to have his wings yanked.

Less air to burn fuel, less power; less air to beat into submission with the blades... unfortunately gravity is still relatively equal no matter what altitude.

After watching it again, my guess is he pulled ~2+g on the way in and dumped all of his rotor rpm. Then he dumped collective to get rotor rpms back up and because of the altitude, recovery just did not happen fast enough. He panicked... look at the main rotor blades in the last 100 ft before he hit, you can see he started pulling full collective way early and with rpms so low from the previous maneuver and altitude there was just not enough there. He should've waited until he was 30-50 ft off the ground.

Had he let it drop a little further with no collective to gain rotor rpm he may have been able to generate enough lift to avoid hitting so hard. Making the ground rush up faster at you when you are already falling is not a normal human reaction but it is the only way to avoid an accident once you have yourself in these types of situations.

33wbg9e.jpg

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="font-size: 14pt">IT WAS <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">TOO</span></span> AN AUTOROTATION!</span></span>

May or may not have responded to that crash and they both didn't walk away the front seater. is lucky to be alive and definitely wont walk without a limp for a long time hopefully the rear seater feels like shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
33wbg9e.jpg

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="font-size: 14pt">IT WAS <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">TOO</span></span> AN AUTOROTATION!</span></span> </div></div>

Now that's funny!!! Especially iffen yer a roterhaid !!!!

I agree. Shows how strong the main rotors are that they stayed intact after the first slam and didn't bend that badly.