• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AE MKII/III Barrel Change Help

VaderRubiconJK

I was reasonable until forced to be unreasonable
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2018
Nowhere somewhere between WA & WY
Just picked up a AE MKII and need the SH AI nation to answer a few questions for a new owner.
Just snagged a 6 dasher barrel for it. Looking to do a swap when the barrel arrives. I ordered the Adams action wrench, but who knows eta on that.
1. So is there something else that could stand in without damaging the receiver but still allow enough grip to spin the action off a barrel?
2. What is the torque spec for the barrel to action? Action to chassis?
3. Is victor co still making skins for the legacy ai rifles? (Their choices don’t list ai bolt cutout, only large and small square aics.)
4. Not that I’m not happy with the 2 stage, but just for my amusement, does the competition trigger currently being offered fit the AE MKII?
5. Looking to mount an ARCA rail to the chassis, any options out there? Ideally I’d like to run a 6” so I can attach my rail changer, but still run a bipod on spigot mount.

Appreciate any help you can throw my way.

Last edited:
Just picked up a AE MKII and need the SH AI nation to answer a few questions for a new owner.
Just snagged a 6 dasher barrel for it. Looking to do a swap when the barrel arrives. I ordered the Adams action wrench, but who knows eta on that.
1. So is there something else that could stand in without damaging the receiver but still allow enough grip to spin the action off a barrel?
3. Is victor co still making skins for the legacy ai rifles? (Their choices don’t list ai bolt cutout, only large and small square aics.)
4. Not that I’m not happy with the 2 stage, but just for my amusement, does the competition trigger currently being offered fit the AE MKII?
5. Looking to mount an ARCA rail to the chassis, any options out there? Ideally I’d like to run a 6” so I can attach my rail changer, but still run a bipod on spigot mount.

I recommend watching this video

I don’t understand the first question. You want an alternate tool while you wait for the Adams?

100 ft/lbs

You can PM someone from Victor here with the skin question.

I think so on the comp trigger. The mk2 takes a standard AW trigger.

Yes we still have skins for the legacy AW/AE/AICS - whatever is listed on our website is what we have left.

That 5145 guy (or whatever that number is) did a good YouTube video on changing out a AIAE barrel a few years ago.

Supersubes- Yes looking to use something, like a strap wrench?, to spin the receiver off until I receive the correct action wrench. Obviously I’m trying me best to not damage the finish.
tnichols- No I do not have flats milled into my current barrel. That would be too easy.
Michael Victor- Should I be ordering the small bolt cutout?

As for that video, I can’t stand watching it. He just beats the life outta that thing, it’s wrong on so many levels. The wrist brace...is all I need to know about you. I pity the fool who buys that rifle next.

I would recommend getting an AI action wrench and a barrel vise. No reason to take shortcuts with a barrel replacement. It’s going to really be on there. 100 ft/lbs. on the retightening torque... takes more than that typically to break it free.

Leather straps in the barrel vise jaws will usually not damage the finish.

Reactions: deersniper
Supersubes- Yes looking to use something, like a strap wrench?, to spin the receiver off until I receive the correct action wrench. Obviously I’m trying me best to not damage the finish.
tnichols- No I do not have flats milled into my current barrel. That would be too easy.

As for that video, I can’t stand watching it. He just beats the life outta that thing, it’s wrong on so many levels. The wrist brace...is all I need to know about you. I pity the fool who buys that rifle next.
Just too much torque there for anything but a solid wrench and vice.

The gun in that vid is kinda famous. It’s on it’s 12th barrel if I recall, and 100,000 plus rounds fired(always a .308). Over 1 million dry fires. Only failure to date was a bolt stop 50,000 rounds ago.

Seems harsh, but you’d be surprised how much abuse a rifle can take. I wouldn’t make a habit of doing them like that, but I would also have zero hesitation buying that rifle from Jacob. In the field, that’s a perfectly acceptable practice to get the barrel off of an AW.

Reactions: trophyhunter
I ordered the Adams action wrench but from what I understand, it can be a pain to get.
Is there another choice besides the $1k kit AI offers?
And yes, I will buy a proper barrel vise. Right now I’m just going to be a bum and see if I can use a buddy’s to get going.

Most what he’s been done is cosmetic, skins can be replaced, paint can be redone.

you have no clue how many proof loads with interesting bolts I’ve run through my rifle.

Just an FYI on running 6 Dasher in the AE, since I did that for about 2 years-- I had the best luck with PVA mag spacer kits, but still had to do a little feed lip tweaking on a couple of the magazines for the most reliable feeding. The MPA feedlip adjustment tool makes the job easy.

As far as changing the barrel without an AI specific inside the action wrench, if you take the scope rail off you can probably use a dual v-block clamp around the outside of the receiver style action wrench... although the AI specific inside action wrench is much quicker and easier.

Also, when tightening the barrel on the AE with the AI inside action wrench, don't place the "flag" of the action wrench through the ejection port and have it bear against the thinner strip of steel just below the ejection port as you can possibly bend that portion of the receiver as it isn't really thick there. Instead stick the "flag" through the magwell and have it bear against the left side of the mag well cutout, it's solid steel there and you won't run the chance of tweaking the receiver when tightening the barrel. When loosening the action put the "flag" through the ejection port, it's nice and solid on the topside of the ejection port.

Also, as much as I love (and also cringe at) the video of Jacob's "hammer off / hammer on" barrel change method on his AW, don't try that on an AE, because with the seperate recoil lug and bolted action to stock interface you'll probably end up damaging the 2x action bolts... not there was a good chance of you trying to change your barrel like that anyways, LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: trophyhunter
Bugholes makes an ai action wrench

100ft/lbs on barrel torque. You cant pull it apart like an aw, the ae has a separate recoil lug that the front action screw screws into. Action screws are 87 or 88 in/lbs. The trigger on at/ax, and I assume aw, uses a trigger hanger since the action is bonded to chassis. The comp trigger utilized that hanger. The ae trigger is attached different. The good news is the ae trigger is adjustable and alot nicer than that turd on the at. Ive got 2 ae, a mk3 and mk2. Both have safe triggers with 1.25lb 1st stage and 1lb 2nd stage, very crisp. Google ai ae trigger adjustment, there is an old thread on the hide that walks you through which screw does which. One is sear engagement and the other is pull weight. Gratuitous ae pron,lol
20200228_144350.jpg
20190402_143212.jpg

They still shoot better than me
20190507_231924.jpg
20171203_173618.jpg

Reactions: deersniper
He probably already figured this out, lol. Thats what I get for not checking date on a link a buddy sends me

• Haha
Reactions: CStroud