• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AE Review

Texas1911

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2011
Austin, TX
www.texasguntalk.com
movie.jpg

A good friend of mine, Chuck from Mile High Shooting in Colorado, brought down an Accuracy International AE Mk II rifle chambered in .308 loaded up with a slew of AI accessories for me to review. We put the gun through it's paces and in an unfamiliar environment to discern what makes this gun and package worth the money.

Review Here: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/rifle...fle-review.html

Re: AI AE Review

Nice read.

A few things- how do you feel the Nightforce is superior to Schmidt and Bender in low light shooting? I would say the opposite is true. The light transmission is better and the glass is more clear in the Bender. Win/win in my mind.

Also- the front rail is not an AI option. That is a Badger Ordnance produced IMUNS. Yes it's produced specifically for the AE/AW/AICS, but it isn't made by AI, nor is it a factory option.

In my opinion, while the bolt lift is a bit heavier, the bolt throw is definitely smoother than a Sako TRG-22. This is as an owner of two AI's and one TRG, and the same opinion is shared by my shooting partner, who solely shoots a TRG-22.

Overall, nice review! I'm nitpicking for sure.

I have to ask, was the reticle canted? In that 3rd pic down the bottom of the scope looks tipped to the right compared to the mount, maybe it was an illusion but even the shadow appears that way too.

Nice review, AI's are my favorite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to ask, was the reticle canted? In that 3rd pic down the bottom of the scope looks tipped to the right compared to the mount, maybe it was an illusion but even the shadow appears that way too.

Nice review, AI's are my favorite. </div></div>

Yes, it was when I got it. It took a truck ride from Colorado so who knows if it got bumped. I straightened it out before the long range stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A few things- how do you feel the Nightforce is superior to Schmidt and Bender in low light shooting? I would say the opposite is true. The light transmission is better and the glass is more clear in the Bender. Win/win in my mind.
</div></div>

5.5x and a full view through a Nightforce is superior to the roughly 7x magnification needed to obtain a full picture through the S&B. The magnification cuts down the light and the difference between 1st focal and 2nd focal in the extremes of the range, and that is the difference. They are both extremely good scopes in my opinion, and perhaps a lesser magnification model in the PMII line would be superior to the Nightforce.

Remember, we were hunting with the scopes and a full view through the optic is a necessity.

The S&B blows the doors off my Nightforce during the day for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also- the front rail is not an AI option. That is a Badger Ordnance produced IMUNS. Yes it's produced specifically for the AE/AW/AICS, but it isn't made by AI, nor is it a factory option.</div></div>

Cool, AI lists the rail as an accessory on their site. It's part number 3436 from AI. Badger makes good stuff, I liked how the rail was setup.

In my opinion, while the bolt lift is a bit heavier, the bolt throw is definitely smoother than a Sako TRG-22. This is as an owner of two AI's and one TRG, and the same opinion is shared by my shooting partner, who solely shoots a TRG-22.</div></div>

Everyone that shot it thought the TRG had a smoother throw. The TRG doesn't feel as fitted (for lack of a better term) as the AI though, and the AI definitely likes it rough. Like anything, opinions vary.

Thanks for the input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that an AI brake or is it a SAS brake? </div></div>

Both, I believe AI contracted the SAS brake as a suppressor friendly option for their rifles and dubbed it the "tactical" brake. They seem to do this with alot of things, like the S&B scopes marked AI, the Badger rail, etc.

Great review, I really want to add an AI to my collection. Did anyone else notice that the 2nd picture of the S&B(pict of the turrets) the scope looked slanted in the mount... I also believe when shooting in low light that the optic that has the bigger objective is going to look noticeably clearer as it is bringing in more light. I also didn't realize that the AE bolt was so much larger than the remingtons. The remington just looks so caveman like next to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that an AI brake or is it a SAS brake? </div></div>

Both, I believe AI contracted the SAS brake as a suppressor friendly option for their rifles and dubbed it the "tactical" brake. They seem to do this with alot of things, like the S&B scopes marked AI, the Badger rail, etc. </div></div>The brake on this rifle is a SAS, but it isn't the one AINA contracted. It is the older SAS threaded brake, the one that is exclusive to AI is a QD design that only requires a half turn to engage. I have one at home, I'll try to take a pic later.

I believe it is only a deal through AI North America, and not AI England.

The UK AI tactical brake is similar in function, but totally different in looks. The threads are on the end of the brake, and it is much larger and bell shaped. It is designed to interface with a UK suppressor that we can't get here.

Oh, and as to the bolt throw- I assume this was a brand new AE? Because after a few thousand cycles, the AI bolt throw becomes a thing of beauty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, and as to the bolt throw- I assume this was a brand new AE? Because after a few thousand cycles, the AI bolt throw becomes a thing of beauty. </div></div>

Gun was fairly new.

Thanks for sharing! Nice review. I really like those rifles.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

5.5x and a full view through a Nightforce is superior to the roughly 7x magnification needed to obtain a full picture through the S&B. The magnification cuts down the light and the difference between 1st focal and 2nd focal in the extremes of the range, and that is the difference. They are both extremely good scopes in my opinion, and perhaps a lesser magnification model in the PMII line would be superior to the Nightforce.

Remember, we were hunting with the scopes and a full view through the optic is a necessity.

The S&B blows the doors off my Nightforce during the day for sure.

</div></div>Okay, not trying to rip on you here, but I'm still not following you, and maybe it's me, so lets discuss this further-

The field of view on a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 (or x50) at 5.5 power is 17.5 feet at 100 yards.

The field of view on a Schmidt and Bender 5-25x56 is 5.3 meters at 100 meters.

5.3 meters = 17.38 feet and 100 meters = 109.36 yards By my math, that means the field of view on the Schmidt and Bender is 15.89 feet at 100 yards. So it is 1.61 feet smaller than the Nightforce. Does that make a big difference when hunting?

Another argument was the tunneling. I agree that the Schmidt and Bender tunnels terribly under 7.5x. HOWEVER, I think that the Nightforce 5.5-22 tunnels as much at all magnifications as the Schmidt and Bender does at 5x.

Finally- light transmission. I know that you mention that the FFP vs SFP effects light transmission. However, Schmidt and Bender is known for the excellent transmission, and it has been noted more than once that the difference the money buys you is the amount of time that you can see after it starts to get dark.

I now own my second Schmidt 5-25x56. My shooting partner has a 5.5x22 Nightforce as his primary optic, and I feel I know both platforms well. I still fail to see where the Nightforce is the better night optic, however, I have never shot at night, so I really want to hear your counter arguments. And this calls for a night shoot with my shooting partner, as soon as his suppressor clears form 4.

5.3 meters = 17.38 feet and 100 meters = 109.36 yards By my math, that means the field of view on the Schmidt and Bender is 15.89 feet at 100 yards. So it is 1.61 feet smaller than the Nightforce. Does that make a big difference when hunting?
</div></div>

We aren't really shooting at even 100 yards. It's a hard concept to discuss with technical terms. You have to put your eyeball behind the tube to really get it.

Another argument was the tunneling. I agree that the Schmidt and Bender tunnels terribly under 7.5x. HOWEVER, I think that the Nightforce 5.5-22 tunnels as much at all magnifications as the Schmidt and Bender does at 5x.
</div></div>

That is not my experience with the Nightforce optics.

Finally- light transmission. I know that you mention that the FFP vs SFP effects light transmission. However, Schmidt and Bender is known for the excellent transmission, and it has been noted more than once that the difference the money buys you is the amount of time that you can see after it starts to get dark.</div></div>

This is speculative. The Schmidt is a great optic in low light, but it is not suited for hunting in low light in my opinion. The PMII was never designed to be used in this context as the amount of light in a low moon situation out in the sticks is considerably less than that in an urban environment.

I now own my second Schmidt 5-25x56. My shooting partner has a 5.5x22 Nightforce as his primary optic, and I feel I know both platforms well. I still fail to see where the Nightforce is the better night optic, however, I have never shot at night, so I really want to hear your counter arguments. And this calls for a night shoot with my shooting partner, as soon as his suppressor clears form 4. </div></div>

Don't take this the wrong way ... but if you've never shot at night, then how can you make the claim that the S&B is the superior night optic?

I'm not trying to turn this into a horsepower race between S&B and NF ... I invite you to take both out and see what you think. In the end it's just my opinion.

I have shot both optics and looked through them at Night etc. S&B is superior in every way to the CURRENT generation of NF. Now with the beast coming out....we will see.

Hey Texas, is that a NF one-piece mount and if so what do you think of it? Also, why does it seat the scope so high relative to the barrel ? I understand low is best all else being equal or is that a myth ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Texas, is that a NF one-piece mount and if so what do you think of it? Also, why does it seat the scope so high relative to the barrel ? I understand low is best all else being equal or is that a myth ? </div></div>

AI one piece mount.

With the adjustable comb riser the scope sits just right.

The closer the sight axis is to the barrel the less variation there is so you want it mounted low, but from a usage standpoint it's more important to be able to get an easy view through the scope than a few millimeters closer to the bore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Don't take this the wrong way ... but if you've never shot at night, then how can you make the claim that the S&B is the superior night optic?</div></div>Fair enough, I'll have to give it a try to see for myself.

Thanks for your time,

-Bob

Frankly, I find this review superficial. It did not add anything new to what I already know about AI AE. I expect you do not have sufficient expertise to write an in-depth analysis on this. Your statement about Schmidt&Bender is based purely on your personal impression and is highly disputable. In terms of light transmission&lens coating NF is way behind S&B. Any US made optics compared to Svarowski,Zeiss, Kahles or S&B is just acceptable. Nothing more. Moreover, comparing AI to a shitty remington is a misunderstanding. Everybody knows it's like comparing bmw to chevrolet. It makes no sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ancient Mariner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frankly, I find this review superficial. It did not add anything new to what I already know about AI AE. I expect you do not have sufficient expertise to write an in-depth analysis on this. Your statement about Schmidt&Bender is based purely on your personal impression and is highly disputable. In terms of light transmission&lens coating NF is way behind S&B. Any US made optics compared to Svarowski,Zeiss, Kahles or S&B is just acceptable. Nothing more. Moreover, comparing AI to a shitty remington is a misunderstanding. Everybody knows it's like comparing bmw to chevrolet. It makes no sense. </div></div>

I'm sorry it was not to your expectations. I'm sure you got your moneys worth though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Don't take this the wrong way ... but if you've never shot at night, then how can you make the claim that the S&B is the superior night optic?</div></div>Fair enough, I'll have to give it a try to see for myself.

Thanks for your time,

-Bob </div></div>

What everyone doesn't seem to get is it's not an optical clarity difference, or a coating difference, it's a mechanical difference between those two specific scopes. You have to get behind it to see it.