• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AX308 Grip mods?

For guys interested in an AR grip don’t float their thumb, right? Trying to understand that picture with a thumb shelf, you only need the AR style if you’re fully addressing the grip. Am I missing something?

For guys interested in an AR grip don’t float their thumb, right? Trying to understand that picture with a thumb shelf, you only need the AR style if you’re fully addressing the grip. Am I missing something?

Personally, I really love the MPA EVG with built in thumb shelf and Ergo Grips' TDX-0 (zero grip angle and perhaps the most comfortable grip I've used to date)....both work really well with floating the thumb. The EVG has a rest built in and I like resting on a 45 degree ambi AR safety with the TDX-0....would be very interested to see how a TDX-0 felt on one of these with Sam's thumbrest also installed..

Reactions: MysizeisMAGNUM
Hm if I still had my AX I’d consider this as the grip was my largest ergonomic complaint about the rifle.

What does it screw in to in the chassis? Do we have to get our backbones drilled and tapped?
There are no modifications needed to the chassis to fit the conversion. It screws into the action so a strong connection. The rifle can be returned to standard at any time without needing heating up to soften bedding or locktite on threads.

Reactions: reubenski
Oh hell ya it matters. I don't know why all the relavy info isn't posted here, that's what this thread is for.

Oh hell ya it matters. I don't know why all the relavy info isn't posted here, that's what this thread is for.
i'll rephrase... it doesn't matter to me. take my money, just take it

Well you have to consider they are not a large company. These guys machined a complete bolt on system that does not require the cutting of you existing grip. They are cerekoted to color match and they include modified factory side panels which are not cheap to procure by themselves. Its also coming from overseas. Nope its not cheap, but at least they went and did it and they are not going to bother to not make money from it.

I tip my hat to them. I been wanting something like this for a while. Everything I considered involved trimming the existing grip frame. They took the risk and deserve the reward until someone state side comes one up with an alternative.

That’s how I justified it to myself. It’s already expensive rifle, this conversion costs around 5% of its total cost and hoping for it to remove the only slight issue I have with it. Like you said, no one else is doing it. So if you want it done..... that’s the price you pay.

AIAX + ergo tactical deluxe + samb thumb rest = perfection.

I’m excited for the post tomorrow!

Well you have to consider they are not a large company. These guys machined a complete bolt on system that does not require the cutting of you existing grip. They are cerekoted to color match and they include modified factory side panels which are not cheap to procure by themselves. Its also coming from overseas. Nope its not cheap, but at least they went and did it and they are not going to bother to not make money from it.

I tip my hat to them. I been wanting something like this for a while. Everything I considered involved trimming the existing grip frame. They took the risk and deserve the reward until someone state side comes one up with an alternative.
fuck yeah!! readily available and the only game in town. you spend $7500 on rifle, another $4000+ on a scope/mount, realistically what's the issue dropping another $380 to make it perfect?!?!?!?

So got mine today, for anyone who is interested.

A decent set of instructions and very easy to install. In all perhaps around 20mins from start to finish?

Excellent design, well made & engineered.
Pics show ergo grip obviously that isn’t included, UK sales come with an A2 standard AR grip.

What I particularly love that it looks like OEM and as it should from the factory rather than some after market frankenstein Bolt on.

My only annoyance is that I’m quite OCD and a stickler for torque values. I wasn’t able to torque up the screws to 35 inch lbs using my fat wrench or fix it sticks as holes weren’t big enough to support the bit. So just had to guesstimate it. Not an issue with the product but most likely my limited selection of tools at my disposal.

Is it worth the cash or “value for money”.... only you can decide but I’m certainly very happy at first glance and excited to hit the range and try it out properly.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

• D6F6CD0C-B3C1-4254-AF6F-5EE8CA038F9E.jpeg
    D6F6CD0C-B3C1-4254-AF6F-5EE8CA038F9E.jpeg
    425.6 KB · Views: 574
  • 611E6708-A772-4FA1-84E0-165258220B27.jpeg
    611E6708-A772-4FA1-84E0-165258220B27.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 562
  • 66ABF025-AAEF-42D6-A70C-379F94B7EC75.jpeg
    66ABF025-AAEF-42D6-A70C-379F94B7EC75.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 541
  • FD3CF166-1FE1-4ECC-961A-A1F943FC99E4.jpeg
    FD3CF166-1FE1-4ECC-961A-A1F943FC99E4.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 609
  • C16E2FA1-0713-41AD-95B2-72B809EEB4AF.jpeg
    C16E2FA1-0713-41AD-95B2-72B809EEB4AF.jpeg
    458.1 KB · Views: 613
  • EC2ED580-D6F2-4E4B-B1DF-3C4270A043A6.jpeg
    EC2ED580-D6F2-4E4B-B1DF-3C4270A043A6.jpeg
    449.9 KB · Views: 541
  • 14164F6D-614D-4606-8ADD-7A5EDDABAAC6.jpeg
    14164F6D-614D-4606-8ADD-7A5EDDABAAC6.jpeg
    495.9 KB · Views: 545

A decent set of instructions and very easy to install. In all perhaps around 20mins from start to finish?

Pics show ergo grip obviously that isn’t included, UK sales come with an A2 standard AR grip.

What I particularly love that it looks like OEM and as it should from the factory rather than some after market frankenstein Bolt on.

My only annoyance is that I’m quite OCD and a stickler for torque values. I wasn’t able to torque up the screws to 35 inch lbs using my fat wrench or fix it sticks as holes weren’t big enough to support the bit. So just had to guesstimate it. Not an issue with the product but most likely my limited selection of tools at my disposal.

Is it worth the cash or “value for money”.... only you can decide but I’m certainly very happy at first glance and excited to hit the range and try it out properly.

Looks awesome man. Looking forward to hearing how ya like it.

Very nice indeed

Looks great! Patiently waiting for my FDE set to arrive. Hard to tell from the pics but did they refinish the plastic skins as well?

Thanks for posting pics gentlemen! Would one of you mind taking a pic from the bottom looking up with the skins on...and also some pics with the grip plate mounted, but the skins off?
Thanks!

Also @clubsportmark ,how does it feel with Sam's thumbrest? Do you feel you have to move your thumb too far to the side compared to the grip, or does it feel pretty natural?
Thanks!

In my personal opinion it feels slightly further to reach to get on the thumb shelf but still comfortable. The standard grips I would always float my thumb and hardly ever full wrap. With the new grips it’s very comfortable using full wrap, and as mentioned a slight stretch using the shelf. What I what will end up doing long term I don’t know. This is only my thoughts in my house while not shooting it.

But certainly ambi shooting in my eyes now instead of only one way which was comfortable. Later in down the line I would be tempted to try the zero angle version of the same grip.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Mark did it himself, he’s one of the best cerakoters in the UK
Thanks Raging Rocco84, finally got the hang of Cerakoting after 10 years 😂
This is the 2nd colour scheme on the rifle. Probably change it at the end of the year as I use it for showing colours and styles for my business.
I do like this one a lot though.
Looks good with the new ergo grip, didn't realise how awkward the stock grip was until I changed it.
Mark

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Ok, how do you order one of those?
Email him directly at...

[email protected]

Tell him what you want, what AI color you want it cerakoted in, and whether you want to wire money directly to his account or he does accept paypal.

He's very quick to reply to emails and answer any questions and concerns you may have. Here's a recent reply he sent me....

The AI grip conversion is machined from an aluminum 6082T6 billet.
The trigger guard is bolted to the AI action through the chassis as the original trigger is mounted.
I have tested this and the previous grip conversions on my own rifle and also have provided the grip conversion to others in the UK for initial tested.
The grip conversion is as strong as the original AI grip which is made from injection moulded plastic.
Drop tests have been carried out by me without issue.
The grip conversions have been used in UK PRS competitions and hard field use without issue.
The grip conversions are available in standard AI colours, as per my original email.

Reactions: Adam B
I emailed him directly on Friday and I received tracking info this afternoon. I’m excited to try it out with my Accuracy Obsession chassis.

Reactions: RS14
will be ordering one myself. Been waiting for someone to do this...and this looks very well done!