• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AX308 Grip mods?

Have you tested with the 0° ergo grip? The gtac smashes my middle finger against the trigger guard.
I tried my best with the design, but that’s a tough one to accommodate because it needs a long LOP (trigger reach) for there to be room. It works great with the angled Ergo, but I’ll see if I can find a 0 Ergo to test.

For reference this is the GTAC with the Ergo from previously in the thread. I believe the shape of the bottom of my trigger guard will be better.

CE775F7E-6044-4378-84F1-52317A578EAD.jpeg

Reactions: 96C
What Fozzy said.
I had to revert back to the Ergo angled grip on my GTAC as with the Ergo zero angle/contours my middle finger was compressed up into the trigger guard.
Ill keep the GTAC with the angled Ergo on my AX and with much anticipation wait out for Sam and Christian’s wizardry for my AXMC.
Pls put me down for one.

Reactions: RS14 and samb300
I have tested the printed prototype with a variety of grips as well, and modified the design to accommodate as many as possible.

I’ll get some pics when I get the chance to print the most current version to show the MDT, MPA, and Ergo grips installed.
Looks great, Sam! Very similar to what I had pictured you might come up with, in my mind. Is there any chance you can show us a top view of the MPA installed, so we can see how much room there is to use the included thumbrest? Good news on the trigger guard too as far as ergo tdx-0 compatibility. If you're able, could we get a pic of a hand gripping and using the vision thumbrest?...it looks awfully high up from the pics...could you design a longer one that extended down lower or have the threaded holes lower?
Thanks!

Reactions: samb300
Looks great, Sam! Very similar to what I had pictured you might come up with, in my mind. Is there any chance you can show us a top view of the MPA installed, so we can see how much room there is to use the included thumbrest? Good news on the trigger guard too as far as ergo tdx-0 compatibility. If you're able, could we get a pic of a hand gripping and using the vision thumbrest?...it looks awfully high up from the pics...could you design a longer one that extended down lower or have the threaded holes lower?
Thanks!
All great points.

I can take some pics with the MPA grip. Unfortunately the width of the AI chassis and buttstock frame makes it impossible to go super thin on the grip panels. I wanted the MPA grip to work, but it won’t have the full thumb rest clearance that it would on an MPA BA Comp chassis.

Yeah, Christian was just messing around with the thumb hole spacing and using the same thumb rest from his Vision chassis. My original prototype had the holes lower, and it should be possible to do that, or put more adjustment into the thumb rest itself, or both. The benefit of having a 3D printer and Christian being a whiz on machines is we can go through prototype designs to see what works relatively quickly. I spent a lot of time getting the current Anarchy thumb rest right because ergonomics are everything.

7D7EA9A9-0761-4C3F-BA02-1314497B3700.jpeg

Christian is doing some testing, it looks like the thumb rest position should be ok, but we’ll keep looking into it.

He said the way it’s designed and the two halves being aluminum is unbelievably solid. No concerns whatsoever of lifting the rifle by the grip.

CEBC6BCC-81BF-4536-AC0B-222CCD53BBF4.jpeg
208CEC6C-D683-441B-9BDB-38C40DD1103E.jpeg
68B08C7A-8038-4D35-8F4E-15FF54A972ED.jpeg
D9BFBC80-853A-445E-9859-556F57D9EDD6.jpeg
57F6C3AA-6B62-49E6-97DE-CB65F58A92BE.jpeg

That’s money…please-take my payment.

I would take one without the holes for thumb shelf too. Even in bare metal as the rifle is still yet to get coated.

I have to say, I'm surprised at the number of people who don't want the ability to add the thumb rest. Is there a reason? You just know you always shoot with your thumb wrapped around and don't want the extra holes in the side?

Not judging, just curious. And need to figure out if that should a stand-alone option or if they'll be special orders.

Reactions: RS14
I'd probably just leave the holes in. If I don't like the holes, 3D print a snap in tacticool mall ninja cover.

By the way, I have the GTAC kit on my AX and I love it. These are a really bad as alternate option.

T

P.S. I don't wrap my thumb and I manage to do just fine not having a Lazy Boy recliner for my thumb.

I have to say, I'm surprised at the number of people who don't want the ability to add the thumb rest. Is there a reason? You just know you always shoot with your thumb wrapped around and don't want the extra holes in the side?

Not judging, just curious. And need to figure out if that should a stand-alone option or if they'll be special orders.
I personally do not like the thumb shelf.I know people love it. It’s just not what I like

Better to have and not need. I consider it an option depending upon position. I also have been training on the “Scandinavian” method of thumb/forefinger on the bolt knob and middle finger on the trigger… kinda fun 👍

Wondering if having some flat cap screws to put in the holes that aren't being used for the thumb rest would make sense? Or you could let us know what size and we could buy them ourselves. Hell I'd probably get mine cerakoted to match.

Having never shot a rifle with the thumb shelf, unknown it I will like it or not. I am okay with the holes, especially if the come with screws. Living in rural America and town is 210 miles getting screws can be a pain in the….

Thanks for making this happen.

Having never shot a rifle with the thumb shelf, unknown it I will like it or not. I am okay with the holes, especially if the come with screws. Living in rural America and town is 210 miles getting screws can be a pain in the….

Thanks for making this happen.

This, although the closest real town is only 70 miles away. I wouldn't mind 1 way other the other, but it would be nice if you included some grub screws to fill the holes and keep them from getting packed with dust and dirt.

I just don't like the unfinished look of threaded holes and nothing in them. If they had small Allen's threaded in and were cerakoted with the skins I would be good with that.

FYI the holes will be machined in prior to blasting and Cerakoting. The previous pictures show the holes that were machined after Christian Cerakoted them. So the final product won't be showing raw aluminum in the holes.

The grip panels are thin, so there's no way to facilitate screws from the backside. Installing cap screws on the outside would be possible, but honestly would look really goofy and not be a good texture for your thumb/hand to rub along.

We can make a version with no holes if there is interest, but I don't think there should be worries of them having any negative effect other than aesthetic.

Last edited:
I'm sure I was the only one thinking that and knowing that they will be cerakoted eliminates any concern I had. Probably should have know that. Haha.

FYI the holes will be machined in prior to blasting and Cerakoting. The previous pictures show the holes that were machined after Christian Cerakoted them. So the final product won't be showing raw aluminum in the holes.

The grip panels are thin, so there's no way to facilitate screws from the backside. Installing cap screws on the outside would be possible, but honestly would look really goofy and not be a good texture for your thumb/hand to rub along.

We can make a version with no holes if there is interest, but I don't think there should be worries of them having any negative effect other than aesthetic.

I would prefer it without holes.

I don’t see mine with out holes

Just messing with you. Waiting for my chance to purchase it

I don’t see mine with out holes

Just messing with you. Waiting for my chance to purchase it
Hey!

Anyone that wants a grip set without holes, there is going to be limited numbers in this batch. I think only 4 of them in this batch were made without holes.

My advice would be to give Rick at GCP a call, give him your name and let him know you specifically want a set of the AI grips without holes. He should be able to put a list together, get your cerakote color, etc.

440-213-5585

We will work on them next, I don't think there is a lot to change other than the bolt handle and safety cutout, but it will be a separate version.
Can’t wait! I’m in for at least a couple of AX AICS kits when available!

Sent Rick a message. See if I can't get a Vision chassis for the Vudoo and sounds like its time to try a grip mod. Curious to see if he has another no holes available

You can see how much thinner it is than the factory plastic skins, making it even more comfortable for putting your thumb on the side. Note the difference in width between the black hinge and the green skins.

ACA60427-5E82-40BE-B06C-0242F5AB2ABA.jpeg
E120A64E-ED01-4E28-A391-815C3BBBF70B.jpeg

With an MDT adjustable grip, adjustable trigger shoe, and adjustable thumb rest, I’m confident anyone will be able to achieve their perfect grip ergonomics with these new grip panels.

Reactions: rope