• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AXSR Long Term Thoughts?

just noticed this pic..

how much of a pain was it to put a AT butt on the MC..always loved the thubhole best

actually been searching for a AICS 2.0 the last week or so
It all fits using the existing hardware for both stocks... Pretty simple swap you obviously just lose right hand folding

Reactions: Uhlan and brianf
Almost another year later. Does anyone have any new thoughts on their axsrs? I really love mine and just cut my 300wm barrel to 22" makes for a super handy gun

Almost another year later. Does anyone have any new thoughts on their axsrs? I really love mine and just cut my 300wm barrel to 22" makes for a super handy gun
I'm happy with mine. I still shoot my AT-X a lot more because I enjoy shooting BR variants the most for most application and the humpless chassis is better for positional shooting.

But with that said I like the AXSR a lot, slowly collecting reloading components for 7 PRC and will probably get a 338 Lapua barrel at some point just because. So I'm happy with it but tend to grab a dedicated short action more often.

About to hit my year mark with the AXSR, with 2,740rds on the action between 300PRC, 6.5CM, and 308.

Sold off my other bolt guns because there’s zero reason to ever reach for em.

The rifle is just straight tits across the board man.

Have had mine since June 2021, still my favourite rifle.
Run only proof prefit carbon barrels.
26" 300PRC predominantly
24" 6.5CM
18.5" 308

I have an AT-X for PRS and a few AICS chassis' for different things but the AXSR is absolutely the first thing that comes out more often than not.

Vor4.jpg

Not sure how valid it is. But I consolidated to lapua bolt face and 308 bolt face cartridges. I didn't do a standard Mag bolt yet. I wanted a 300prc, but went 300 norma instead because I already had a 338lapua. Then added the 6.5cm set up.

However if I'm going to shoot short action I'll still grab my ax308 unless I'm taking a friend and need a loaner. Then my AXSR is my loaner.

Quoting myself for a update.

Added an AT-X since this post and my AXSA is still my primary. My 7 and 10yo shoot my AT-X in 6br and my AXSR mostly sits around now. Did get a chance to do some reloading with my 6.5cm barrel and my worst load was sub-MOA. Hard to dislike it. Just still prefer my AXSA.

Mine remains very satisfactory. I don’t love the Proof carbon 6.5CM barrel I bought for it. It can’t do a string longer than 7-8 rounds without the POI wandering until I let it cool down. Learned my lesson, steel only in the future for this type of rifle. Carbon for hunting guns.

That isn't promising. I haven't noticed any stringing yet in my proof carbon barrels.

Are you seeing issues in prefits or custom clambered carbon blanks? I picked up a carbon Bartlein to try next.

Heres one to get some people stirred up. For those that have or have shot both. Is the axsr a true upgrade over the axmc?

AXSR looks better than the AXMC and that's all that really matters :cool:

Reactions: IsaacL
AXSR looks better than the AXMC and that's all that really matters :cool:
That is true. Early on i read some stuff about trigger failures on the axsr. Has that been a real issue? Havent heard much about that lately

That is true. Early on i read some stuff about trigger failures on the axsr. Has that been a real issue? Havent heard much about that lately
That was the ASR trigger, which was an in house trigger they made and it didn’t hold to spec. That isn’t the AXSR trigger. Scott did a breakdown a while back about each of the triggers. I think it’s posted in the AI pic thread.

Zero issues so far as I approach 2775 (as of an hour ago). Shooting in the rain and out in the desert, no issues.

Heres one to get some people stirred up. For those that have or have shot both. Is the axsr a true upgrade over the axmc?
I sorta forgot AI discontinued the AXMC and the remaining model in their catalog with matching capability is a $10K rifle 😂

Last edited:
I still think the MC is the panicle of AI.

It was the last MC platform that was bonded. If you think AI, you think thumb hole and bonded.

Now while it’s still a top tier platform with some new improved features, it’s not bonded (if if matters anyway)..so now it’s another chassis gun

Doesn’t mean I didn’t buy one anyway but the MC is it in my opinion until the change the action drastically.

Now I can’t shoot for shit anymore so it’s all about nostalgia lol

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
I do like the safety of the AXMC over the AXSR. However I like the grip, buttstock, and built-in arca of the AXSR. I did like the mag-well adaptor for shooting short action calibers, but the modified mags are working just fine.

Could you bond an axsr? I mean the only thing stopping you would be if you need to pull the action to do maintenance on the trigger right?
But if you could swap a trigger without removing the action, why not bond it? (Yeah I know AI will say it’s not needed)

The AI gluing is a carry over from earlier days when keeping uniformity between mating surfaces was more challenging.

Chemical welds are also time consuming, harmful to the tech applying the multi part agent if not PPEd heavily and overall a shit mess. They are however extremely effective at keeping things together if the things are prepped correctly.

I have a older de bonded AT action on hand as well as a 2023 AT from an ATX. Both are very uniform.

The AW50 is not bonded. That should tell you something asuming you trust AIs design intent.

Reactions: Brym427
Then they wouldn't be able to sell the axsr for 10k+
Whether or not it justifys the price of it. The axsr has much more time spend machining it. So i feel like it should be at least alittle more, maybe not quite 11k but it is what it is. Its actually awesome that AI is still doing the axmc for law enforcement so they have a better chance at affording them. When they could have completely went to the new design and made the axmc history

Who's spending 11k on an AXSR? Or even 10.3k? If you are, you aren't talking to the right people or asking the right questions.

Reactions: Nik H
Who's spending 11k on an AXSR? Or even 10.3k? If you are, you aren't talking to the right people or asking the right questions.
Don’t think I’ve seen better than 10% off for rando off the street calling the two big AI dealers and now both charge tax. There’s a couple ways to save some bucks on tax, but if there’s a handshake 20% off club I’m not aware of it.

Dealer cost an the AXSA is more than what I bought mine for before I sold it to Kiba years ago. AI’s “mil” line guns are astronomically priced now.

Don’t think I’ve seen better than 10% off for rando off the street calling the two big AI dealers and now both charge tax. There’s a couple ways to save some bucks on tax, but if there’s a handshake 20% off club I’m not aware of it.

Dealer cost an the AXSA is more than what I bought mine for before I sold it to Kiba years ago. AI’s “mil” line guns are astronomically priced now.

Not sure if they will this year, but Mile High had significant discounts on AI products last shot show. I can't remember the exact number, but it was in the 20-25%.

The catch is you have to make an order right there at Shot.

Not sure if they will this year, but Mile High had significant discounts on AI products last shot show. I can't remember the exact number, but it was in the 20-25%.

That I’ve heard of, but I don’t go to trade shows for this industry and the savings would overwritten by the cost of my airfare.

Last edited:

They usually offer a discount to the SHOT attendees. You just have to let them know you plan on taking advantage of the show discount and give them your contact info.

They usually offer a discount to the SHOT attendees. You just have to let them know you plan on taking advantage of the show discount and give them your contact info.

Yea, I think this past year, they gave you a week or two. But you basically were committing to the order at shot more or less.

My AXSR is a fantastic rifle. 300NM and shoots great. I have shot it at multiple matches over the past year. For PRS type stuff, the graduated rail can sometimes be a pain to deal with off barricades. Noticeably 3-4 shots dropped because of moving/sliding in bag. (Compared to a flat bottom, PRS dedicated rig.)

Accuracy is not an issue. They shoot great and are repeatable. 300NM, 6.5CM, 308.

Reliability hasn’t been a problem. Feeding is great from SA to LA cartridges.

They “drive” great. The ability to take up a position and the gun being where it needs to be, the ability to orient and drive to targets, and recoils impulse are legit.

If you truely shoot a bunch of magnum class cartridges but also want to shoot SA, this will work for you.

The quick change barrel system is repeatable. Shoot your practice barrel, screw on your comp barrel, confirm zero, all without having to leave the range. It’s a great time saver and I didn’t realize how nice that was until I experienced it.

If you only had 1 rifle, this shines in field match settings. Can make do with PRS type matches but like I said, compared to a PRS dedicated rig, it will have its short comings. ATX is more suited for that realm. Not sure on hunting, but my 20” carbon with 7-35 ATACR, MDT ckye pod, and suppressor is still over 18lbs.

Expensive to get into and all the corresponding bolts, mags and barrels are at a premium, but once you’re in, you’re good.

If this is in your consideration, I can recommend that it will be one of your favorite rifles.

(I have not shot the AXMC and cannot compare it to that).

Also, they make lefty models, so the AI gods have blessed us with that. If they made a lefty ATX, I would own one of those as well.

IMG_3609.jpeg

20” 6.5CM

IMG_3257.jpeg

27” 300NM

Does anyone have any information they can share as to what AI is releasing in 2024? I thought I saw a mention of a AXSR replacement/update but haven’t been able to find much.
Thanks in advance.

Does anyone have any information they can share as to what AI is releasing in 2024? I thought I saw a mention of a AXSR replacement/update but haven’t been able to find much.
Thanks in advance.
New models have a slightly polished bolt handle, stippling on the adjustment knob for the cheek piece and a slightly more aggressive thread protector

Prices go up $700 to make up for the adjustment

• Haha
Reactions: TheOE800
New models have a slightly polished bolt handle, stippling on the adjustment knob for the cheek piece and a slightly more aggressive thread protector

Prices go up $700 to make up for the adjustment
Got any pics? So a metal bolt knob instead of plastic, knob like the mk3 rather than lever?, thread protector?

• Haha
Reactions: TheOE800
AXSR 300 norma
8 twist factory barrel
Edit: these speeds are on a new barrel- 100 rounds fired.
New lapua brass
Federal 215 primers
Velocity gathered with magnetospeed
Outside temp 87-90f
The lower charge weights did not group well, some as big as 1.3 moa. Once I started to increase charge weights the average group size was .6-.7 moa at 100yds.

220 LRHT
85gr H1000
3053fps
.478 moa @ 100yds

same rifle
220 LRHT
N570
3147fps
.631 moa @ 100yds

Still adjusting powder charge and seating depth.

What are other owners of AXSR w/ factory barrels seeing for accuracy and speeds?

I also tried my KGM R30k can on it to see how it performed. Obviously not quiet but noticeably quieter than the brake. It also helped with recoil over my SAS arbiter.

300NM
215gr hybrids
27” 1-8
3050ish average
Shoots under half inch over multiple zero checks (3-5 shots each group)

Reactions: Ncloud
300NM, Factory Barrel.
220 LRHT
Lapua Brass
Fed 215m
N570, 86.5gr.

Velocity was 3005fps or so when newish; last time I chrono'd I was down about 50fps. I'm not sure if a combination of that was from cooler weather or just from N570 use, I only have 452 rounds on the barrel so far.

30k - 80k off jam shot consistent POI:
PXL_20230407_172219334~2.jpg

bought a proof stainless 6.5 creed barrel for my axsr.
Only fired 20 rounds through it so far but it was pretty accurate.

Poi shift was .8 low and .3 right from the 300nm barrel.

Norma match 143gr
2593fps.
Kgm R30K

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-10 17:34:48.354824.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-10 17:34:48.354824.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: M8541Reaper
Anyone shooting an 18.5" 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC with a carbon barrel? Something I'm considering if it can get under 16lbs with a 5-27 ZCO and TBAC bipod...

bought a proof stainless 6.5 creed barrel for my axsr.
Only fired 20 rounds through it so far but it was pretty accurate.

Poi shift was .8 low and .3 right from the 300nm barrel.

Norma match 143gr
2593fps.
Kgm R30K
Worked on this a little more.
The barrel now has 100 rounds on it and I’ve started load development with 147eldms and imr 4451.

I shot 5 rounds of the Norma 143 box ammo to check zero and see how much the speed has changed over 100 rounds.
From 2593fps to 2647fps.
Pictures below. This ammo shoots very well and I had consistent groups at 983yds on steel.

For the 147 eldm I backed off the lands .030 for a starting point and it ended up shooting well.

Charges with imr 4451( don’t use my data make sure to start low and work up.)
40,40.5,41 & 41.5.
All charges shot under .5” @ 100yds
41.5 was giving some stiff bolt lift

40.5 & 41 seemed to be where I want to be.

41 is what I’m going with.
2698fps. The group was shot with a magneto on.

Attachments

• IMG_0042.jpeg
    IMG_0042.jpeg
    571.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0049.jpeg
    IMG_0049.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0048.jpeg
    IMG_0048.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0039.jpeg
    IMG_0039.jpeg
    588.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2024-02-09 18:56:24.311307.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2024-02-09 18:56:24.311307.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0041.jpeg
    IMG_0041.jpeg
    580.4 KB · Views: 8
Have had mine since June 2021, still my favourite rifle.
Run only proof prefit carbon barrels.
26" 300PRC predominantly
24" 6.5CM
18.5" 308

I have an AT-X for PRS and a few AICS chassis' for different things but the AXSR is absolutely the first thing that comes out more often than not.

View attachment 8303751
What did you use for the camo pattern? Looks dope as fuck