• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AI Mag Modifications

Night Hunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2011
Cullman, AL
Guys

Anyone modified long action AI mag for running short action rounds.

Here is my issue. I am running a 300 win mag AI mag for my 7RSAUM. I have two very slight issues.

1. When carried with a loaded mag (this is rare but still a pain) the rounds seem to try to slide back and forth in the mag.

2. The feed lips seem to try and catch around the base of the neck of the round.

Both of these issue have caused slight feeding issues. It still feeds perfectly around 90% of the time. I am just wondering if there have been some easy modifications come up with by all you more experienced shooters...

Thanks!

NH

Re: AI Mag Modifications

You have multiple problems.First the magazine should be blocked for the length of the cartridge next the angle of the magazine walls should be adjusted to the taper of the new cartridge.The mag spring may need to be replaced or altered for the shorter mag opening and the follower needs replacement or modification.Last is the feed lips must be altered to feed the shorter round it needs to release later.The last thing you can't do much about in the fact that long gradual tapered cases with smooth shoulder angles feed better then short stubby hard shouldered cases.

Re: AI Mag Modifications

I get all that, but I found some fixes on here on how they did bout half of it at home, as far as spacers and springs. I have a buddy who will modify the lips for me.