• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

aics folding vs fixed stock

07zx6r

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2011
Ft.Rucker AL
Just wondering for those you have the aics stock, is the folding version worth the added expense? Im still deciding which version would better suit my needs..besides being able to store the rifle in a smaller case, are there any other advantages? in the past, i spent the extra money for a QD scope mount and I found that I never even remove the scope..i kinda get the feeling it would be the same with folding stock (a nice feature but is it really that important.)

thanks

Re: aics folding vs fixed stock

You will have to remove the cheek piece on the 1.5 to clean the bore, on the 2.0 you just fold the stock out of the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will have to remove the cheek piece on the 1.5 to clean the bore, on the 2.0 you just fold the stock out of the way. </div></div>

does the same apply for the AX?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 07zx6r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will have to remove the cheek piece on the 1.5 to clean the bore, on the 2.0 you just fold the stock out of the way. </div></div>

does the same apply for the AX? </div></div>

Good question, I don't know.

It depends on how your cheek peice is set up. Mine is not adjusted and sits flush. I have plenty of clearence with my one piece cleaning rod.

Well, you've probably shot for years without a folding stock. Was there ever a time that you couldn't do something because of your nonfolding stock? I doubt it. It's bigger deal in your mind than it is in real use. There's no disadvantage though. It's up to you. What's another couple hundred bucks on something that can serve you a lifetime...? About a penny a day.

Many people will say get the folded and that its worth the upgrade. Does not having to remove the cheek piece held down by 2 screws(which you could get knurled cheek screws) or being able to put it in a smaller case worth the 200 for you though?

What's another couple hundred bucks on something that can serve you a lifetime...? About a penny a day. [/quote said:
that was really the only thing holding me back from ordering the fixed, this is pretty much my one "nice" rifle and i didnt wanna skimp on anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will have to remove the cheek piece on the 1.5 to clean the bore, on the 2.0 you just fold the stock out of the way. </div></div>

this alone makes it worth the added expense to me. i will only use the 2.0's from now on.

Then just go for it. No regrets. You're already spending a shitload on your dream stock anyway. It encourages one to drive around with the rifle riding shotgun with ya too. And it's way easier to carry under my trench coat with a 16 inch barrel!
laugh.gif

I know the AX folding runs around 1400, anyone know what the fixed goes for.. i started out wanting the Mcmillan A5, then the aics 2.0, now the ax...please no one else suggest or expose me to another stock/chasis..im starting to lose control.haha

Just got my 2.0, it is solid, locks up tight, and nice to get it outa the way for cleaning.

I was going to say the same thing, but I wasn't sure if its just the Long actions (I have the 338 Lapua)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will have to remove the cheek piece on the 1.5 to clean the bore, on the 2.0 you just fold the stock out of the way. </div></div>

I was going to say the same thing, but I wasn't sure if its just the Long actions (I have the 338 Lapua)</div></div>

does the cheek piece have to be removed for the short action?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will have to remove the cheek piece on the 1.5 to clean the bore, on the 2.0 you just fold the stock out of the way. </div></div>

this alone makes it worth the added expense to me. i will only use the 2.0's from now on.

</div></div>

I will only get the 2.0 only too. And if you don't like the thumb hole stock, get the viper Skins from Victor Company I love mine.

IMG_9315.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 07zx6r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will have to remove the cheek piece on the 1.5 to clean the bore, on the 2.0 you just fold the stock out of the way. </div></div>

I was going to say the same thing, but I wasn't sure if its just the Long actions (I have the 338 Lapua)</div></div>

does the cheek piece have to be removed for the short action? </div></div>

Yes, I should have said SA. You can flex the rod to clear the cheek piece, or get the thumbscrews and remove the cheek piece.

I had a 1.5 years ago, I have 2-2.0's now. Well worth the money for the upgrade to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 07zx6r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will have to remove the cheek piece on the 1.5 to clean the bore, on the 2.0 you just fold the stock out of the way. </div></div>

does the cheek piece have to be removed for the short action? </div></div>

Yes, I should have said SA. You can flex the rod to clear the cheek piece, or get the thumbscrews and remove the cheek piece.

I had a 1.5 years ago, I have 2-2.0's now. Well worth the money for the upgrade to me.</div></div>

do you know if the same is true for the AX? sorry for asking so many questions!

If you've never owned a folding stock, you won't miss the slight advantage it provides for cleaning your rifle. Compared to the amount of time I spend handloading, turning two screws and lifting the cheekpieces of my fixed-stock AIAW and AICS is nothing.

Only reason I went for the 2.0 is i never take my can off and with the folder it fits very nicely in my dragbag or Eberlestock pack folded with the can still attached

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will have to remove the cheek piece on the 1.5 to clean the bore, on the 2.0 you just fold the stock out of the way. </div></div>

</div></div>

I will only get the 2.0 only too. And if you don't like the thumb hole stock, get the viper Skins from Victor Company I love mine.

IMG_9315.jpg
</div></div>

i considered this, but if i am going to spend the 200 extra for the new skins, i might as well just spend a little extra and get the AX... i feel like with every part of this gun its like "well, if just spend a few extra bucks.." those few bucks keep adding up. haha.. and i havent even made it to the scope yet. if i continue like this, the SS 5-20x50 will end up becoming a S&B...it just a few more bucks...haha

Accuracy International's new skins will be out on the market shortly, they will be be very affordable from what is posted about them. Heck they might even offered with the stock itself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accuracy International's new skins will be out on the market shortly, they will be be very affordable from what is posted about them. Heck they might even offered with the stock itself. </div></div>
Are there any pix of them online? This is the first I've heard of new AI skins.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any pix of them online? This is the first I've heard of new AI skins. </div></div>

ACCURACY INTERNATIONAL'S NEW SKINS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At shot I think they said the street price was something like $110 - $120... but i am going off memory.
</div></div>

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/Ucg5PlPFh_Y[/video]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any pix of them online? This is the first I've heard of new AI skins. </div></div>

ACCURACY INTERNATIONAL'S NEW SKINS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At shot I think they said the street price was something like $110 - $120... but i am going off memory.
</div></div>

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/Ucg5PlPFh_Y[/video] </div></div>

I noticed the deeper butt hook. I don't see the advantage to the modular pieces unless some other grip profiles are available. More seams
frown.gif

Thanks for the link to the AI skins. If I had to choose based only on what I see online, I would pick the Viperskins. They make the AICS appear to be more "modern" and have fewer pieces. If there is a difference in how the pistol grip feels, I would go with the one that felt best to me.

I have the 2.0 and the 1.5. I prefer the 2.0 for a few reasons: I use it every time I clean it for sure... your first bore sight with a new optic will be at least a 7 ring hit so a two shot zeroing experience is nicer than missing the entire target board the first time... and I use the folding feature to stuff it into smaller rifle travel bags or a smaller back pack.

I have no problem boresighting with my 1.5 stocks. The cheekpiece has to be at the bottom (depends on scope height) or removed.

The folder is worth the money because you can insert/remove the bolt and clean the rifle without having to remove the cheekpiece. It also lets you fit the rifle in a much smaller transit case. Below is mine in a Pelican 1700 (I'm waiting for my tax stamp before cutting the rest of the foam). It locks up like a bank vault; no worries there.

Edit: I've received a few PMs on this arrangement. I cut the foam using a 4" paring knife sharpened to where I could shave with it, and the process took about 90 minutes. The case has three layers of foam, one in the lid and two in the base. I only cut the top layer in the base. Closing the case does require some squeezing, but it's not big deal. This case fits perfectly in the trunk of my Jetta TDI wagon; an inch longer and I'd need to drop the rear seats.

—Andreas

AGY_7905.jpg

I purchased the JP Enterprise AMCS and like the folding option for everything identified already...bore sighting, cleaninging, small transport package...