• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS Legacy chassis scarcity

DeepSpace

Aspiring Sniper
Minuteman
May 2, 2017
Illinois
Hello everyone,

I have just started into the new world of long range precision shooting, and since I was a teen I've always loved the L96 AWP chassis style. It seems AICS used to have these made for the Rem 700 and even Savage actions, but they are quite rare. I recently purchased a Savage model 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 creedmoor, and I am now considering trying to find this thumb hole legacy chassis for savage SA.

My question is why did they stop making it (Since it always seems to be in high demand), and where the heck should I look to get one?

Thanks

L96 skins are visually more blocky than the current kit. Skins are interchangable so long as action length is same ie short on short long on long.

As to why they changed and discontinued...#1 fugly #2 not ergonomic. Yes its a classic look but they sucked. Have new style thumb hole and AT skins for my AE and 90% of time it wears the AT skins. But new thumbhole is 110% better than old style imho.

Im a die hard AI fanboy and truly beleive best action made but stock ergos always get me. Even now considering switching to Tikka or TRG just to be able to use the KRG stock.

There is an Australian gunsmith who makes the base AICS chassis for anything you want. From Savage to Howa, Tikka to Sako. You just get the skins you want and your done. PM me if you want and I'll try and find his email. Wombat Ordinance is his company.

L96 skins are visually more blocky than the current kit. Skins are interchangable so long as action length is same ie short on short long on long.

As to why they changed and discontinued...#1 fugly #2 not ergonomic. Yes its a classic look but they sucked. Have new style thumb hole and AT skins for my AE and 90% of time it wears the AT skins. But new thumbhole is 110% better than old style imho.

Im a die hard AI fanboy and truly beleive best action made but stock ergos always get me. Even now considering switching to Tikka or TRG just to be able to use the KRG stock.

I remember seeing a chassis that seemed to integrate the thumb-hole with a grip better molded to your hand, but I can't remember the chassis system off-hand. I was considering maybe that also if the price was right. What do you think is the most comfortable stock out there?

The guys at Mile High Shooting are a good place to start looking, I believe that they're the AI guys stateside. I don't see many legacy stocks on their site right now but maybe give them a call.

Another option is to buy a standard AI chassis and then add the thumbhole upgrade kit: http://www.eurooptic.com/accuracy-international-aics-stock-sides.aspx

Ill give them a try! Thanks!

Last edited:
Gunsite made an AICS knock off many years ago. That might be what you are thinking of.

Stocks are a very personal preferance item. I prefer to grip the rifle with my thumb indexed on the receiver tang. For true chassis stocks the only one I know of that allows for that is the KRG.

If you want the simplicity of a chassis but prefer a more A5 type grip there is the Manners mini chassis, Cadex and Konahawk.

Until something better comes along I will live with the AI simply because I prefer the trigger and action.

Because the trend is toward pistol grip and not thumb hole.

Long time AICS Gen 1 user and I must admit that I am starting to struggle with it. Weight mostly, but consistent shot to shot grip of fine accuracy requires an extra conscious decision on my part (possibly due to the ^.5 x 47 Lapua?). I'm now thinking an XTC chassis that can take AICS mags is the way forward for weight and ergonomics.

So the answer I would saw is - fab chassis in 2001, too heavy and getting old in 2017.

Much like a lot of us on the Forum!

How heavy was your actions screws torqued? There was a thread where the Hide member shot for groups while torqing the action incrementally, higher and higher. Shots opened up more and more when the torque was north of recommended specs (53 in-lb)

I do not torque to spec. I use a long hex key, take it up to tight then tweak it. Seems to be good for one hole shots with the 6.5 Lapua.