• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AICS problems -Fixed- With another question?

KeithR41

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 20, 2009
    Oregon
    My .260 shot consistent .3's and .4's with an HS stock. I recently switched to an AICS. Anyway, my rifle now shoots 2 to 2.5 inch groups if I'm lucky. I've torqued the stock to the recommeded specs, checked my lug, it's clear, not binding or hitting anything. Stock old school remy trigger, it's not hitting either. The crown is good also. Has anybody had these problems and are there any suggestions to fix them?

Thanks, KeithR41

Re: AICS problems

That is really strange... Did you check if the barrel is contacting the stock in any place? Or the bolt handle?

Did you put the barreled action back on the HS stock to see if that accuracy of .3 and .4 is still there?

that is a big accuracy difference. when you installed it, did you have the rifle standing up on with the butt on the bench when you torqued it so the recoil lug was against the rear of the lug recess? your trigger isn't touching the chassis causing the action to be canted? you didn't change anything else at the same time, did you, scope rail, rings ect.?

Have someone else shoot it. There shouldn't be that much difference, but HS to AICS is a completely different animal....

Always tighten front action screw first, in the manner 300sniper described.

When I was at the shot show Surgeon actions told me that when they use that stock they mill the bottom of thier recievers so that they snap and fit tightly in those stocks. I also know that the accuracy International Rifles are bonded to thier recievers. There are alot of great shooting rifles out there that use this stock.Check the old stock again for your old groups, if they return have the AICS put in a mill and checked for trueness and runout.If it turns out all true, I would rework the load,harmonics in that stock might be diffrent, hope this helps.

Sounds like you are having the same problem I had at one time. Do this, take the skins off of the stock, then tighten just the front bolt and see if the rear of your action raises up (rides on air) then do the same vice versa with just the rear bolt torqued down to see if the front of the action (right behind the recoil lug) rides on air. If so, your action (like mine) is not flat but bananna shaped, and the v shape block of the AICS stock is causing stress when you torque both bolts down.

If the above is whats happening, then you need to stress free bed your action into the stock to fix it. Thats what I ended up doing and it worked like a charm.

Hope this helps
    Joe

If you tighten the rear bolt only the front of the reciever will rise on all 700's (there's less metal at the tang than where the reciever's fully round at the front screw).

The AICS I have up for trade had no difference in accuracy at 500yds with the 7-08 I dropped in it. The previous AICS's I've had I bedded because I did the rear screw check. I think Hateca filled me in that all of them do that due to the geometry like I shared. KMW beds all AICS's they build on, but many shoot lights ous without it. I did my previous ones, but this one I didn't because I intended it as a mule platform for more than one barreled action.

Here's my crappy old cell phone pics of what Joe's referring to:

No tension on rear screw:
    aicsnotorque-1.jpg

Just rear screw tightened (schwiiinnnggg!!):
    aicsbanana-1.jpg

Isnt that the difinition of stress? Seeing that, dont you want to bed it just to make sure you arent stressing the receiver? I dont know, maybe its not a big deal for me to bed all of my rifles because I find it cheap and easy to do.

Purty much what I think too, but like I said I didn't do the latest one I got so I can swap around. Then I just decided to go McM on all mine.

I bed everything otherwise-cheap insurance against wondering!

Neither the barrel, bolt or trigger are contacting. I checked the lug, it's tight against the chassis. Sound like I'll have to bed it.

Unfortunantly I already traded off the old stock so I can't check it. Damn it.

Pay close attention to your trigger control, the AICS puts the trigger much closer to the web of your thumb than most stocks.

Good luck with it!

The old HS stock was, I assume, an aluminum bedding block model. This is essentially the same as the AICS, the action being pulled down into a v-block. The trick with both as, previously mentioned, is make sure the recoil lug is butted up to the rear of it's slot. Have the rifle verticle when torqueing in.

The AICS has one other variable. The skins. On some these are tight and don't allow the action to slide easily into the v or move rearward when verticle.

Easy. Loosen the skins, torque action, tighten skins, shoot, re-torque. Shoot some more. Smile.

My action slips through the skins pretty easily. Haven't had any problems there. Before I bed it, I'll try retorquing with the rifle verticle. I've already got a new set of loads for a ladder test just to make sure that's not the problem.

Thanks for all the info.

KeithR41

There is one or two AI reps on here that you may want to get in touch with. You shouldn't have to bed it with that system, just double check. I inquired about the aics stock a couple months ago and the manufacturer said if you bed it, it voids the warranty. So just a heads up.

The stock is not at fault here, its the action. Its just that the V shaped block on the AICS magnifies the problem if its there.

this is the problem

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you are having the same problem I had at one time. Do this, take the skins off of the stock, then tighten just the front bolt and see if the rear of your action raises up (rides on air) then do the same vice versa with just the rear bolt torqued down to see if the front of the action (right behind the recoil lug) rides on air. If so, your action (like mine) is not flat but bananna shaped, and the v shape block of the AICS stock is causing stress when you torque both bolts down.

If the above is whats happening, then you need to stress free bed your action into the stock to fix it. Thats what I ended up doing and it worked like a charm.

Hope this helps
    Joe </div></div>

Pretty common I think. But you would have to check the one you have to be sure.

Have you checked your scope? Are the base and rings tight?

Try change the scope or try the scope on another rifle. May be the scope went south...

It's not the scope, rings or bases.

I re-installed the action today based on the above recommendations. I'll shoot this weekend and then bed it if it doesn't improve.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How common are these banana shapped actions?</div></div>

Very common, some are just less ripe than others.

What torque do you guys use? Gonna shoot on Thursday so we'll see how it goes.

My HS was torqued to 65in lbs, why wouldn't the AICS work at this torque?

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What torque do you guys use? Gonna shoot on Thursday so we'll see how it goes.

My HS was torqued to 65in lbs, why wouldn't the AICS work at this torque?

Keith </div></div>

I know Accuracy International recommends 50 something in-lbs but I torqued mine at 65in-lbs and it worked great.

AICS is supposed to be at 53in/lbs, dont know why, but thats what they said.

I torqued to 65 and my groups tightened up. My gun my like that little extra bit of tightness. The groups weren't back completely yet but I think I need to play with my seating depth since I changed it around a bit trying to figure out what the problem was. Too bad I don't have a comparator!

So here's the next queston. I've noticed my bore fouls with copper pretty badly. Would something like the Tubb bore polishing system help with that.

KeithR41

If it a factory tube, then yes it will help. I have used it on factory tubes with great success.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I torqued to 65 and my groups tightened up. My gun my like that little extra bit of tightness. The groups weren't back completely yet ......... </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pay close attention to your trigger control, the AICS puts the trigger much closer to the web of your thumb than most stocks.
    </div></div>